• Sony a7C
  • GoPro Hero9 Black
  • Panasonic Lumix DC-BGH1
  • Canon PowerShot Zoom
  • Canon EOS M50 Mark II
  • Nikon Z7 II
  • Nikon Z6 II
  • Fujifilm X-S10
I'm not familiar with all of the above, but Panasonic's 10MP little box video camera is the only truly new device I see on this list and who knows how long they have been working on it. It has been so long since a truly new Pentax camera has come to market that a few more months won't make a difference; especially if the launch of the K-Gnu goes badly. If that happens, I expect that Ricoh Company will only suport development of the GR and Theta series going forward. SmartVision is about 1% of Ricoh and Pentax is a fraction of that 1%. Having to find funding for new product development from current sales of this tiny department, instead of head office investment eliminates the potential to plow through hiccups, whether those obstacles are external suppliers, correcting design faults or implementing new features. I don't like to anthropomorphize businesses, but we need to recognize that new Pentax products are hanging on the personal efforts of a small group of Ricoh employees in the face of considerable internal and external obstacles.
10-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I can wait. I just hope that the wait will have been worth it by then.
10-17-2020, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

In fact, they are waiting for the Nikon D7800 to blow away all K-3 III's performances with 20% less price tag.

10-17-2020, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless the K-new is something really out of the park my next camera will be the K-1new so I know I have a really long wait.
10-17-2020, 09:42 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Unless the K-new is something really out of the park my next camera will be the K-1new
10-17-2020, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL. Well maybe someday we will. My guess is K-new by end of 2020 and then K-1new by end of 2021. Unless they decide to do a 645 body first. Times subject to COVID delays of course. And assuming the whole world doesn't just melt down and collapse in the mean time.................

10-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #23
Pentaxian

There was a similar tweet a while ago, Mr. Tanaka saying the camera wouldn't be available in summer as he hoped.
10-17-2020, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
COVID has hampered all businesses in the Philippines. Cebu was hardly hit months ago. This is where Pentax's factory is located. It was under Expanded Community Quarantine for several months limiting the movements of people and goods. This might be the reason for the delay. If not, they must be redoing something with the camera's design or functions.
10-17-2020, 02:55 PM - 7 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ahhhhh - must be scrambling to incorporate the flippy into the body, aren't they?
10-17-2020, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Ahhhhh - must be scrambling to incorporate the flippy into the body, aren't they?
Maybe you're right. After all majority of the feedback on the camera without the flippy screen was negative. Most of us expected that feature especially that it is available on the KP. Maybe they listened to us here.

Who knows???
10-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Cebu was hardly hit months ago.
Do you mean it was hit in a hard way? “Hardly” suggests it wasn't hit at all. Just to know for sure
10-17-2020, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
COVID has hampered all businesses in the Philippines. Cebu was hardly hit months ago. This is where Pentax's factory is located. It was under Expanded Community Quarantine for several months limiting the movements of people and goods. This might be the reason for the delay. If not, they must be redoing something with the camera's design or functions.
Unfortunately, the activities of many companies have been affected by the pandemic. However, I don't think we have any insight into the actual situation concerning the production of the new APS-C camera. It's possible that It's still in the final stage of development and not in full-scale production yet, proceeding according to plan. Or, it's been held up in production. Or, there's been a late development hiccup. Who knows?

Although Ricoh Imaging's development manager for the new camera mentioned in May 2020 their "concerns" about possible supply problems, he believed they would make the launch happen in 2020. And their marketing manager stated "You can expect the arrival of the new APS-C format SLR flagship by the end of this year [2020]."

It will be interesting to see whether Ricoh Imaging provides any update to their broad timeline. In the meantime, I don't think that there has been any "delay" in the sense of missing a specific date.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-17-2020 at 05:47 PM.
10-17-2020, 05:36 PM - 11 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

There has been no delay, just because Mr Tanaka's previous estimate was not accurate.
10-17-2020, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
There has been no delay, just because Mr Tanaka's previous estimate was not accurate.
Finally, someone who knows what's going on, many thanks for the post!!
Closed Thread