Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 224 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2020, 01:38 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

'Be patient and wait' (Kimio Tanaka)

From Kimio Tanaka:
QuoteOriginally posted by Kimio Tanaka:
PENTAXの、例の次期モデルは、ぼくの予想(期待)していた発売時期よりも「少し遅れる」らしい。
はやく手にして試したかったが、こればかりは仕方ない。我慢して待つか。他のメーカーも同じだが、いまのカメラを取り巻く状況を考えれば、より良いものを作ろうと格闘せざるを得ないでしょう。
Source: Twitter

Translation by yours truly:

'It seems that the next PENTAX model will be released "a little later" than I had predicted (expected).
I wanted to get my hands on it and try it out as soon as possible, but there is nothing I can do about it. We'll just have to be patient and wait. The same is true for other manufacturers; given the current state of the camera industry, they'll have to struggle to make better ones.
'

10-17-2020, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
'Be patient and wait' (Kimio Tanaka)
I believe that waiting is also a 'determining' factor for the success of a camera, we must not underestimate the terrible period that we are going through, keep calm...
10-17-2020, 02:27 AM - 23 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To kill time while we wait, why don't we just go out and shoot with our old Pentax bodies? I think I'll do that right away.
10-17-2020, 02:28 AM - 7 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Don't mind waiting... but it would be nice to see another article with new bit of info.

10-17-2020, 02:35 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think people really underestimate the effect COVID has had on manufacturing new stuff. Whether it is getting parts, keeping factories going and workers healthy or just local shut downs, these are challenging times and it isn't surprising if the K-new is delayed.
10-17-2020, 03:26 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From Kimio Tanaka:

'It seems that the next PENTAX model will be released "a little later" than I had predicted (expected).
I wanted to get my hands on it and try it out as soon as possible, but there is nothing I can do about it. We'll just have to be patient and wait. The same is true for other manufacturers; given the current state of the camera industry, they'll have to struggle to make better ones.
'

This doesn't say much unless we know what he expected....
10-17-2020, 03:39 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
To kill time while we wait, why don't we just go out and shoot with our old Pentax bodies? I think I'll do that right away.
sounds like a great idea to me

10-17-2020, 03:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
This doesn't say much unless we know what he expected....
We do:

New APS-C is - Page 60 - PentaxForums.com (23 August 2020)

...and it so happens that you posted just after this one, reacting to it.
10-17-2020, 04:15 AM - 12 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think people really underestimate the effect COVID has had on manufacturing new stuff. Whether it is getting parts, keeping factories going and workers healthy or just local shut downs, these are challenging times and it isn't surprising if the K-new is delayed.
Since the start of July 2020:
  • Canon EOS R6
  • Canon EOS R5
  • Leica M10-R
  • Nikon Z5
  • Sony a7S III
  • Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV
  • Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
  • Sony a7C
  • GoPro Hero9 Black
  • Panasonic Lumix DC-BGH1
  • Canon PowerShot Zoom
  • Canon EOS M50 Mark II
  • Nikon Z7 II
  • Nikon Z6 II
  • Fujifilm X-S10
10-17-2020, 04:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We do:

New APS-C is - Page 60 - PentaxForums.com (23 August 2020)

...and it so happens that you posted just after this one, reacting to it.
Early fall is definitely out, but the last thing I heard was after October and delivery before christmas. I believe that's whats generally expected around here...
10-17-2020, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Since the start of July 2020:
  • Canon EOS R6
  • Canon EOS R5
  • Leica M10-R
  • Nikon Z5
  • Sony a7S III
  • Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV
  • Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
  • Sony a7C
  • GoPro Hero9 Black
  • Panasonic Lumix DC-BGH1
  • Canon PowerShot Zoom
  • Canon EOS M50 Mark II
  • Nikon Z7 II
  • Nikon Z6 II
  • Fujifilm X-S10
Yeah, but the R5 and R6 at least aren't getting into the hands of all their buyers. Is it because they are selling like hotcakes, or because production capability is severely impacted?

We also don't know what the "planned" release date of any of those cameras was, AFAIK. It's entirely possible that Ricoh Imaging has had a problem with a component they cannot source elsewhere, or that the local restrictions at their factories make it more complicated.
10-17-2020, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yeah, but the R5 and R6 at least aren't getting into the hands of all their buyers. Is it because they are selling like hotcakes, or because production capability is severely impacted?

We also don't know what the "planned" release date of any of those cameras was, AFAIK. It's entirely possible that Ricoh Imaging has had a problem with a component they cannot source elsewhere, or that the local restrictions at their factories make it more complicated.
And we don't know how leveraged or stressed these companies are in making all these releases.

I don't buy new camera bodies very frequently, so most of the new bling is lost on me.
10-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #13

I thought that this camera would be coming before Christmas 2020. But since the announcement in 'early fall' was reduduced to several bits of information, I switched my expectations to a presentation in the timeframe of CP+ 2021, regardless weather it'll physically take place or not. This would be end of february 2021.

It's easily possible that the presentation has to be delayed for Sony not beeing in Time with their new sensor. Pentax certainly is not to be first with it. Sony products have to be first.

Finally: Mr. Tanaka hast been the one, talking about "early autumn" in the First place. He also was the one, claiming a higher pricepoint for the upcoming camera. Now he was forced to go behind his first point. Hopefully he also has to withdraw the second. :-D

Last edited by Le spationaute; 10-17-2020 at 08:00 AM.
10-17-2020, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-17-2020, 08:09 AM - 4 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The official statement from Ricoh Imaging

I don't recall that Ricoh Imaging has indicated any firm date for an announcement. My understanding from their recent video statements is that they have been non-committal as to a specific date.

It may be recalled that in their first video published on 15 May 2020, the head of the new camera development, Wakashiro-san, indicated that "We have some concerns about factors such as delayed delivery from suppliers [owing to the pandemic]. But our factory managers have assured us that they will do everything possible to prevent any delay. Despite all the difficulties, I still believe we can make it happen [i.e., launch in 2020].

The head of Marketing, Kawauchi-san, summarized the status with "You can expect the arrival of the new APS-C format SLR flagship by the end of this year [2020]."

I don't think that Ricoh Imaging has provided any other indication of the timeline.

- Craig
Closed Thread