Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
All the Canon EF* lenses work 100% on every camera they've made from 1987 onwards. Nikon's iffier with AF because their cheaper DSLRs don't have screwdrive shafts so you can't use AF if the lens is older, but otherwise there's 50 years of lenses available. I'm not familiar with their auto-exposure though.
Basically, yes.
But IS won't on old cams. I wouldn't expect it to work, no big deal. Just for the sake of completeness.

10-18-2020, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I am surprised no-one seems to have set up that this "new delay" was in fact necessary to add the so much desired swivel-screen
They did :

'Be patient and wait' (Kimio Tanaka) - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
10-18-2020, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Why is Tanaka chiding *us* for impatience?

He, not Ricoh, made a declaration of launch date with one of his infamous tweets and was wrong about it.

Both times he's set off Pentax Rumours and then all the fall out from that. The Cameraville Guy for example used it to push his new 'Pentax Is Doomed' agenda.
10-18-2020, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #79
Forum Member

Every time management has to go to Viet Nam, or the Philippines about this or that manufacturing detail, they are put in quarantine: both ways. And, there was no TP in either location's rest rooms with factories on standby, and there were no masses eagerly waiting for the excellent new lenses without first finding correlative excellent new body designs on shelves (buyers too had to be isolated, at home, and without incoming cash flow). Further, they had to get all those exciting video discussion generations standing by while running in place together in their Cook's Parlor to unfreeze the molasses. Otherwise, we would have to wait until next summer when the molasses flows without such informative videos slow motion tracking on toward undeclared marketing. Oh, and while concentrating on the new viewfinder ergonomics, someone forgot that a mirror needed putting back in because the flagship is not to be a mirrorless of the mirrorless Age.

Last edited by climbmountainway; 10-18-2020 at 06:11 PM.
10-18-2020, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Let me get this straight, you are suggesting it may be cancelled because Pentax's first attempt at digital failed?
Not quite. My main point is simply that promising projects get can indeed get cancelled, and that it has happened before in the corporate history of Pentax (the MZ-D). So no need to be shocked.

And the MZ-D, while not directly comparable to the K-new, is a case study into how decision makers think, and how new technologies and markets evolve within the camera industry. Probably the fundamentals haven't changed much from 2002: camera making in 2020 remains a business that aims to be profitable, and investments in new technology today can be very risky even for companies with deep experience in the sector.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Anyone who was following the development of the [MZ-D] product at the time knows.
Thanks for your comments. I've learnt a lot. It's a pity how the MZ-D story panned out.

---------- Post added 2020-10-19 at 12:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by climbmountainway Quote
Every time management has to go to Viet Nam, or the Philippines about this or that manufacturing detail, they are put in quarantine: both ways.
I can see how that could be a real problem. There's only so much you can achieve with a Zoom meeting. Often you will still need 'boots on the ground'.

Probably helps explains why my 70-210 order is gonna take two months at least to fulfil.

Last edited by rawr; 10-18-2020 at 06:11 PM.
10-18-2020, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not quite. My main point is simply that promising projects get can indeed get cancelled, and that it has happened before in the corporate history of Pentax (the MZ-D). So no need to be shocked.
I wasn't shocked, more dismayed, from what I know about that project and cancellation that you even thought that.
Just another anti-Pentax rumour waiting to be picked up an disseminated as fact.

Quick review, the sensor in 2002 turned out to have base ISO of 25 ISO and was noisy even at base ISO. It wasn't commercially viable. How does that relate to the current situation with a variety of excellent sensors available? They were flying on Philips to com up with a sensor and Philips let them down. The problem wasn't even a Pentax problem, it was a parts supplier problem.

Since that time has there been even one body introduced and not delivered?

QuoteQuote:
and that it has happened before in the corporate history of Pentax (the MZ-D). So no need to be shocked
So are you predicting every new Ford might have the same fate as an Edsel? Seriously dude. Asperger's? What?

I'm guessing you didn't see the videos Pentax released in the support of the camera. It's impressed the few people who held it in their hands. It's coming. Come back to the real world.

---------- Post added 10-18-20 at 09:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
All the Canon EF* lenses work 100% on every camera they've made from 1987 onwards. Nikon's iffier with AF because their cheaper DSLRs don't have screwdrive shafts so you can't use AF if the lens is older, but otherwise there's 50 years of lenses available. I'm not familiar with their auto-exposure though.

*EF-S (so APS-C) lenses will not mount on FF bodies however, apparently they are built in such a way that they hit the mirror of a full frame camera, but considering that Canon's always neglected APS-C lenses beyond a bunch of consumer zooms it's not as massive a deal. Still ugh.
So what you're saying here is no one matches Pentax's "every lens on every camera" ethic, it's like you disputed what I said up front and then agreed with me in your explanation.

My most used lenses on FF ae my DA 55-300 PLM, and DA*55 1.4. Those are APS-c lenses that are quite useful on FF. I wondered how you could even say that.

Last edited by normhead; 10-20-2020 at 08:25 AM.
10-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Asperger's? What?
Thank you for your concern.

It's coming. Come back to the real world.
Great.

But today - in the real world I think we all share - if the K-new was being sold in store anywhere at the moment, discussions and speculations like this thread simply would not exist. So people chat about why Ricoh showcase it, but don't ship it yet.

Labelling this as dangerous anti-Pentax Thought Crime is depressing to see.

10-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Not uncommon for japanese companies. Somewhat like Accuphase (Accuphase Laboratory, Inc.). They make high end audio gear. They are concerned about the tactile feel and haptics of their products (among other things). They have 80 employees. Hallf of them engineers. They make 20 something components a day. Doesn't matter how much they sell - if something proves popular the customer just have to wait. About half their marked is in Japan.They are not present in all markets globally; quite few in fact. In some market they apparently don't want to sell much; ie it is the only product I know of where it cost 50% more in the US than in Norway in spite of 25% VAT tax in the latter country....
There is a hand-finished tactical knife maker here that produces 500 copies of each knife they release. Their knives start at $500. They have 15 employees. Each employee, no matter the job, owns 5% of the company, then the founder owns the rest.

They do very well by word of mouth.

No. I won’t say. They sell out of some colors of a new knife in five minutes. I don’t (and they don’t, really) want anyone else to know.
10-18-2020, 08:40 PM - 7 Likes   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax will release the camera when it is ready, and not a day sooner.
10-18-2020, 08:45 PM - 9 Likes   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

So people chat about why Ricoh showcase it, but don't ship it yet.
?

It's not finished. We've only seen prototypes under glass, while in the videos weeks ago the product manager was alarmed when the journalist turned it on, he only wanted the viewfinder to be subject to scrutiny.

In fact, people are only chatting because of Kimio Tanaka's September "prediction", Ricoh have *never* given a date, a price, or specs, nothing in stone.

I have seen on Facebook and YouTube disappointed/angry people who asserted September was the release date, yet could not answer me when I asked them, 'Who told you that?'.

As Monochrome has said, 'Pentax will release the camera when it is ready, and not a day sooner.'.

I want as few problems fixed up in hardware recalls or firmware upgrades as possible. I'd like it to ship after as much testing as possible. It's likely to have new focus, image processing and video making engines, not another K-3 dressed up.

Reviewers will be ready with sledgehammers, they will know that their careers and kickbacks won't suffer the way they would writing negative things about Canon or Sony, so Ricoh might as well give them as small an attack surface as possible.

And it begins here.

This is the number one site appearing for me in Google for searches on Pentax products, news and discussion - we need to be accurate in the information we put in these threads, for the sake of other photographers and would-be photographers.

Last edited by clackers; 10-18-2020 at 09:00 PM.
10-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #86
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Why is Tanaka chiding *us* for impatience?
He isn't. The title of this thread is not what Tanaka wrote. I'll explain later.
10-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
He isn't. The title of this thread is not what Tanaka wrote. I'll explain later.
So, instead of 'We'll just have to be patient and wait.', what's your translation, kwb?
10-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #88
Veteran Member

?
This sort of showcasing is what I meant:
product stories of new K mount APS-C DSLR flagship camera.
Ricoh have *never* given a date, a price, or specs, nothing in stone.
True. Lots of ambiguities. But the planned camera was unveiled in September 2019 and everywhere Ricoh were already saying stuff like: "Next year, we will launch a flagship APS-C camera." which they have repeated many times since. Maybe not a month or day, but they have been emphatic about the year.
10-18-2020, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

This sort of showcasing is what I meant:
product stories of new K mount APS-C DSLR flagship camera.

True. Lots of ambiguities. But the planned camera was unveiled in September 2019 and everywhere Ricoh were already saying stuff like: "Next year, we will launch a flagship APS-C camera." which they have repeated many times since. Maybe not a month or day, but they have been emphatic about the year.
And now? You are afraid, uncertain, disappointed? Even if (it hasn't) September 2020 would have been named a release date, some things happened in the last year that affected many time schedules, as you might have noticed.

Why do you turn into a FUD generator? Someone was hoping to hold the camera in his hands in 'mid fall', but had to realise that this might not be possible. What triggers such a reaction?
10-18-2020, 10:44 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
You are afraid, uncertain, disappointed? ...
Why do you turn into a FUD generator.
A little disappointed and uncertain, but certainly not afraid.

A 'FUD generator' - by citing Ricoh's own announcements and media?
Closed Thread