Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 224 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2020, 10:58 PM - 7 Likes   #91
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
He isn't. The title of this thread is not what Tanaka wrote. I'll explain later.
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
So, instead of 'We'll just have to be patient and wait.', what's your translation, kwb?
OK, now I have some time, so here it is.
我慢して待つか。 = "I guess I'll be patient and wait."
No "We", no "have to".

我慢して = be patient and
待つ = wait
か = conjunction "or", it could also indicate some sort of question/selection when combined with a verb.
When used in a subject-less sentence where the subject is the speaker/writer, this is a casual statement of intent in the form of rhetorical question/selection (something like "I shall wait shall I?" but lesser stress on will/determination, he just thinks that's what he'll do). This is a usage pattern you'll see quite often. When you're thinking about dinner and just about to decide to cook a burger, you might say to yourself ハンバーガーでも食べるか, or "well I guess I'll eat a burger".

Is the subject Tanaka, though? Yes. When addressing somebody other than the speaker/writer, the same sentence could be interpreted as "shall we wait?", but that's an impolite form of the question and you never ever speak to strangers like that.

10-19-2020, 12:25 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So what you're saying here is no one matches Pentax's "every lens on every camera" ethic, it's like you disputed what I said up front and then agreed with me in your explanation.

My most used lenses on FF ae my DA 55-300 PLM, and DA*55 1.4. Those are APS-c lenses that are quite useful on FF. I wondered how you could even say that.
I said that others *also* do *more or less* the same, Norm. Not everyone is out to get you

Pentax does it best by a bit, but the world isn't written in binary. The EF 35-80 (it exists) also works perfectly on all Canon cameras, 2000D to 1D. And the 55-300, much less the DA*55, aren't bottom-of-the-barrel lenses so they wouldn't ever be made in EF-S mount, so point moot
10-19-2020, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I said that others *also* do *more or less* the same, Norm. Not everyone is out to get you

Pentax does it best by a bit, but the world isn't written in binary. The EF 35-80 (it exists) also works perfectly on all Canon cameras, 2000D to 1D. And the 55-300, much less the DA*55, aren't bottom-of-the-barrel lenses so they wouldn't ever be made in EF-S mount, so point moot
If one day I end up with Canon SLR, it will get a companion: an EF-M.
I'd be very surprised to go Canon SLR though
10-19-2020, 01:33 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If one day I end up with Canon SLR, it will get a companion: an EF-M.
I'd be very surprised to go Canon SLR though
I've mentioned a couple times in other threads that their control layout is a anathema to me after using Pentax . No way I'm going to them now.

Still, I was one good offer on a 50D or so away from Canon two years ago (I really didn't want to spend more than 200€ as "initial expense"), but a K-7 came along instead and here we are. I've shot with the 24-70/4L and 70-200/4L lenses and the output is simply fantastic.

10-19-2020, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

I'm not familiar to Canon SLRs.
I'm more familiar to Canon DSLRs. Don't like their UI but it could be worse: low end Nikons. What a nightmare those are. Even D7xxx is so-so.

D300/500 may be good though.
10-19-2020, 03:29 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 2021 release of the next Pentax dslr seems more likely now.
10-19-2020, 04:18 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Don't like their UI but it could be worse
Pentax hardware user interface wipes the floor with any other makers. Now with the joystick added it just is the cream of the cream.

Yes, is utterly unbelievable what crappy UIs are thrown out there. Yes people will get used to every abomination thinkablething after a while, even wooden wheels horse carriages dragged over bumpy roads.

10-19-2020, 04:43 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Pentax hardware user interface wipes the floor with any other makers. Now with the joystick added it just is the cream of the cream.

Yes, is utterly unbelievable what crappy UIs are thrown out there. Yes people will get used to every abomination thinkablething after a while, even wooden wheels horse carriages dragged over bumpy roads.
I was trying to help my colleague set his Fuji camera up. The flash wasn't firing and there was no option for activating it - Fuji decided that turning off the camera sounds with the "deactivate sounds" option instead of just lowering the volume deactivates the flash as well. Why. I have almost all the options I need to change more than once on the INFO menu on my K-1, and all good.
10-19-2020, 05:17 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Thank you for your concern.

Great.

But today - in the real world I think we all share - if the K-new was being sold in store anywhere at the moment, discussions and speculations like this thread simply would not exist. So people chat about why Ricoh showcase it, but don't ship it yet.

Labelling this as dangerous anti-Pentax Thought Crime is depressing to see.
Labelling it as possible fodder for anti-Pentax posts is realistic. Labelling it as an anti-Pentax thought crime is an absolute mis-interpretation and pretty much slander.

I outlined the unrealistic nature of the post and it's possible consequences. If you throw these things out there, they are fair game for criticism. The lack of your understanding of context was why I mentioned Aspergers. it wasn't just a random insult. My experience teaching people with Aspergers was why it popped into my head. But maybe you have some other reason why that particular thought popped into your head and none of the other 60,000 people on the forum thought to agree or respond positively to it.

Last edited by normhead; 10-19-2020 at 09:05 AM.
10-19-2020, 06:57 AM - 2 Likes   #100
Loyal Site Supporter

This sort of showcasing is what I meant:
product stories of new K mount APS-C DSLR flagship camera.

True. Lots of ambiguities. But the planned camera was unveiled in September 2019 and everywhere Ricoh were already saying stuff like: "Next year, we will launch a flagship APS-C camera." which they have repeated many times since. Maybe not a month or day, but they have been emphatic about the year.
I may be mistaken, but I recall that there wasn't a world wide pandemic shuttering factories in September 2019. Its unrealistic to hold a company to a timeline presented when the world was healthy considering recent events.

---------- Post added Oct 19th, 2020 at 07:59 AM ----------

A little disappointed and uncertain, but certainly not afraid.

A 'FUD generator' - by citing Ricoh's own announcements and media?
Given what you are ignoring to hold them to their timeline, FUD generator is an excessively kind description.
10-19-2020, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
OK, now I have some time, so here it is.
我慢して待つか。 = "I guess I'll be patient and wait."
No "We", no "have to".

我慢して = be patient and
待つ = wait
か = conjunction "or", it could also indicate some sort of question/selection when combined with a verb.
When used in a subject-less sentence where the subject is the speaker/writer, this is a casual statement of intent in the form of rhetorical question/selection (something like "I shall wait shall I?" but lesser stress on will/determination, he just thinks that's what he'll do). This is a usage pattern you'll see quite often. When you're thinking about dinner and just about to decide to cook a burger, you might say to yourself ハンバーガーでも食べるか, or "well I guess I'll eat a burger".

Is the subject Tanaka, though? Yes. When addressing somebody other than the speaker/writer, the same sentence could be interpreted as "shall we wait?", but that's an impolite form of the question and you never ever speak to strangers like that.
Thanks for your explanation. From your explanation it sounds as if Tanaka San is saying to himself "I'm very excited to see this camera and I can hardly wait but I need sit back and be patient" {expressed as if I were saying what he said}.
10-19-2020, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #102
Loyal Site Supporter

I was trying to help my colleague set his Fuji camera up. The flash wasn't firing and there was no option for activating it - Fuji decided that turning off the camera sounds with the "deactivate sounds" option instead of just lowering the volume deactivates the flash as well. Why. I have almost all the options I need to change more than once on the INFO menu on my K-1, and all good.
That was an odd decision on Fuji's part, the logic though is that if you want the camera in stealth mode you probably don't want the flash going off and giving you away.
10-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That was an odd decision on Fuji's part, the logic though is that if you want the camera in stealth mode you probably don't want the flash going off and giving you away.
Could be a bug.
10-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Could be a bug.
No, it's in the description of the feature.

---------- Post added 10-19-20 at 10:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yes, but considering you already have to manually lift the flash (which goes up very noticeably for the operator) it's hard to understand why they didn't simply put a "lock flash" option.
10-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Canon has also been producing lots-and-lots of EF lenses for forty years now, so even if you do not include any EF-S lenses, they have produced plenty of EF lenses. Even if they have not produced every zoom lens possible, there are enough out there to meet every need, which is the real issue.
Closed Thread