Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
it's in the description of the feature.

The most recent Bayer sensored entry level bodies are the same,they are much more capable than what your colleague uses though.

Last edited by surfar; 10-19-2020 at 11:32 AM.
10-19-2020, 11:20 AM - 3 Likes   #107
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
No, it's in the description of the feature.
The description was probably written after the feature was discovered...
10-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
That sort of thing would have to be coded deliberately.
Stealth mode = turning stuff off, generally the things that go beep.
Turning off the flash trigger at the same time would have to be written in deliberately. Its not the sort of thing that end be an accident from doing something else.
10-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #109
Forum Member

Wish they would say something about the auto focus system. I expect the AF in a NEW flag ship camera in 2020 to be at least as good as the 4 year old Nikon D500.

10-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I think the explanation is simpler - after discovering that the KP has “only one” SD slot, no upper deck LCD, a ‘small’ buffer, and a ‘small’ battery, most members didn’t bother to learn anything more about the KP.
10-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #111
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
Wish they would say something about the auto focus system. I expect the AF in a NEW flag ship camera in 2020 to be at least as good as the 4 year old Nikon D500.
As if the autofocus in Pentax K-3 (announced in October 2013) was 'at least as good as the [then] four six-year old' Nikon D300 (announced in June 2009 August 2007)...

Last edited by Mistral75; 10-19-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Correction of the Nikon D300's launch date
10-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
As if the autofocus in Pentax K-3 (announced in October 2013) was 'at least as good as the [then] four-year old' Nikon D300 (announced in June 2009)...
That is way too simplistic.
Back then - and until now - Pentax simply didn't play in that league. The D300? Announced in 2007, and priced double than Pentax' most advanced APS-C of the time, the K10D. Double, that isn't insignificant; no wonder they could include the AF developed for an even more expensive camera.

Now Pentax will apparently announce their first real flagship (as opposed to the "value-oriented flagships" of the past). We'll see what they could develop, and include in this camera.

10-19-2020, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #113
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Now Pentax will apparently announce their first real flagship (as opposed to the "value-oriented flagships" of the past). We'll see what they could develop, and include in this camera.
To develop an autofocus in KNEW 'at least as good as the four-year old Nikon D500' (almost five year old, actually, but whatever...) and recoup the associated development costs, Ricoh Imaging would therefore have to price the Pentax KNEW at:
  • $2,000 (Nikon D500's RRP)
  • plus a premium to take into account that Nikon planned to recoup and actually recouped the costs associated with the development of their Multi-CAM 20K 153-point autofocus system on many more units (D500 plus D5 plus D850) than Ricoh Imaging can count upon (KNEW plus future K-1 Mark III), considering their respective sales volumes
  • plus, potentially, an additional premium to take into account the market shrinkage in the meantime (even less units).
What are we talking about here? $2,500 for the KNEW?

Or a licence fee paid to Nikon to include their Multi-CAM 20K 153-point autofocus system in the KNEW? Which, by the way, would explain both the rumoured performance level of the KNEW's autofocus and the radio silence observed by Ricoh Imaging concerning the specifications of said autofocus.

Last edited by Mistral75; 10-19-2020 at 03:12 PM.
10-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #114
Pentaxian

You can't use MSRPs that way.
And the speculation about licensing from Nikon is baseless; the "radio silence" is no different than when they announced the K-3.
10-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What are we talking about here? $2,500
Wont sell many.

$2,000
Will sell some.

Usd 1599 is my limit,unless it blows everything else out of the water.[COLOR="Silver
10-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #116
Forum Member

To develop an autofocus in KNEW 'at least as good as the four-year old Nikon D500' (almost five year old, actually, but whatever...) and recoup the associated development costs, Ricoh Imaging would therefore have to price the Pentax KNEW at:
  • $2,000 (Nikon D500's RRP)
  • plus a premium to take into account that Nikon planned to recoup and actually recouped the costs associated with the development of their Multi-CAM 20K 153-point autofocus system on many more units (D500 plus D5 plus D850) than Ricoh Imaging can count upon (KNEW plus future K-1 Mark III), considering their respective sales volumes
  • plus, potentially, an additional premium to take into account the market shrinkage in the meantime (even less units).
What are we talking about here? $2,500 for the KNEW?

Or a licence fee paid to Nikon to include their Multi-CAM 20K 153-point autofocus system in the KNEW? Which, by the way, would explain both the rumoured performance level of the KNEW's autofocus and the radio silence observed by Ricoh Imaging concerning the specifications of said autofocus.
I think with Ricoh it's different. I read the Patent related to the autofocus system and apparently it's working with the 86K RGB Sensor already used since K3. Maybe they increased the amount of pixel in meantime. That was a sensor used to analyze the scene for the white balance, brightness, face detection and so on.
It shouldn't cost more except for moving the sensor at the bottom of the camera replacing the SAFOX and developing the algorithm. I think the new prism and the hybrid OVF is what costs the most in all of that, if it has been implemented regarding the patents of it (3 releases to get what they wanted!!! That means it should better than what has done Fuji if we consider the patents and what has been said in the interview from Pentax!).
I hope my speculation is not wrong..
IMHO, Pentax is trying to attract action photographers (sports; wildlife) with this new camera as they can't compete against MILC (EVF freezing and blackout is an problem for them and not for the other photographers).

Back in the track: looking at the Twitter account of Kimio Tanaka, he does seem to be a rep of Ricoh Imaging nor Pentax so why people rely on what he said about the potential release date of the new DSLR? We clearly have interviews from Pentax saying that they're doing their best to release it by the end of 2020...

Thanks!
10-19-2020, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #117
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
OK, now I have some time, so here it is.
我慢して待つか。 = "I guess I'll be patient and wait."
No "We", no "have to".

我慢して = be patient and
待つ = wait
か = conjunction "or", it could also indicate some sort of question/selection when combined with a verb.
When used in a subject-less sentence where the subject is the speaker/writer, this is a casual statement of intent in the form of rhetorical question/selection (something like "I shall wait shall I?" but lesser stress on will/determination, he just thinks that's what he'll do). This is a usage pattern you'll see quite often. When you're thinking about dinner and just about to decide to cook a burger, you might say to yourself ハンバーガーでも食べるか, or "well I guess I'll eat a burger".

Is the subject Tanaka, though? Yes. When addressing somebody other than the speaker/writer, the same sentence could be interpreted as "shall we wait?", but that's an impolite form of the question and you never ever speak to strangers like that.
Thank you for your effort in getting the nuance of this, kwb, double thumbs up from me!
10-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #118
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This sort of showcasing is what I meant:
product stories of new K mount APS-C DSLR flagship camera.
Well, that's not what I call a showcase, rawr - there's no finished product under the glass.

It's a teaser site, information appearing as suited prior to it being launched.

It clearly says in one part: "Introducing PENTAX products currently in development which were originally scheduled to be showcased at CP+2020."

and at the top says: "Introducing the latest information and the product stories of new K mount APS-C DSLR flagship camera."
10-19-2020, 11:24 PM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You can't use MSRPs that way.
And the speculation about licensing from Nikon is baseless; the "radio silence" is no different than when they announced the K-3.
Not baseless, completely circumstancial though. As a rumor I mean, not as a fact.
10-19-2020, 11:31 PM   #120
Pentaxian

Does anyone know the principle behind Nikon's SR in their MILC lineup ?
Or do they stay strangely silent too ?
Closed Thread