Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 224 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 12:03 AM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Not baseless, completely circumstancial though. As a rumor I mean, not as a fact.
What do you mean, not baseless? Do you have any sort of information, hint, anything that would point toward a Nikon-licensed AF? Does Mistral?
If not, it is baseless.

10-20-2020, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is not baseless (as a rumour I insist) : rumoured AF points being the same ballpark of Nikon's AF and Nikon introducing SR in their own MILC.
Both at mostly the same time, it is a strange coincidence, hence to be labelled as rumour. Nothing else.

It IS plausible.
That being said, such kind of things AFAICT has never happened before (that we know of). So I'd be a bit surprised. It would make sense though.
10-20-2020, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #123
Pentaxian

It is not baseless (as a rumour I insist) : rumoured AF points being the same ballpark of Nikon's AF and Nikon introducing SR in their own MILC.
Both at mostly the same time, it is a strange coincidence, hence to be labelled as rumour. Nothing else.

It IS plausible.
That being said, such kind of things AFAICT has never happened before (that we know of). So I'd be a bit surprised. It would make sense though.
I disagree.

And it is not plausible, not with the information we have (which is basically nothing).
Rumored AF points being the same ballpark? You don't know that. Maybe the Pentax AF has 101 AF points, or 199, or 999 for that matter - they're all "more than 99".
Nikon is not the only one to introduce IBIS on their camera. And Pentax did develop quite a few AF systems on their own.

Now, if the K-new had a 153-points AF with a suspiciously familiar layout... that would be a basis for such a rumor!
But as things are, this is weaker than the "D FA* 85mm f/1.4 is just a rebadged Sigma!" thing.
10-20-2020, 02:19 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
(...)
But as things are, this is weaker than the "D FA* 85mm f/1.4 is just a rebadged Sigma!" thing.
'As things are', this cannot be weaker than something proven wrong (by different optical formulas, for instance).

10-20-2020, 02:28 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
'As things are', this cannot be weaker than something proven wrong (by different optical formulas, for instance).
That thing started before we knew the optical formula for the Pentax. Was it plausible back then?
10-20-2020, 02:32 AM   #126
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That thing started before we knew the optical formula for the Pentax. Was it plausible back then?
]Moving the goalposts, aren't we?
Attached Images

10-20-2020, 02:37 AM - 4 Likes   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think what's plausible, possible and even probable is a good old thread lock

10-20-2020, 02:47 AM   #128
Pentaxian

@Mistral75: Wrong. It's you who's trying to set the goalpost so my analogy wouldn't work.

The point is, both theories were launched before we knew any information which might've hinted towards or against said theory, and both were "supported" by a very weak argument: a vague resemblance for the lens, and a "more than 99" AF points for the camera.
10-20-2020, 02:59 AM   #129
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@Mistral75: Wrong. It's you who's trying to set the goalpost so my analogy wouldn't work.

(...)
I'm afraid you set the goalposts when you wrote 'as things are, this is weaker than the "D FA* 85mm f/1.4 is just a rebadged Sigma!" thing' and not 'this is weaker than the "D FA* 85mm f/1.4 is just a rebadged Sigma!" thing was when the mock-up was showcased' or anything similar.

Let's say you initially didn't write what you intended to.
10-20-2020, 03:16 AM   #130
Pentaxian

I'm not guilty for you misinterpreting my posts. It's not a fault to assume others' good intentions and willingness to understand you, rather than trying to cover all possibilities where your own words might be twisted against you.
I wrote what I meant to wrote, and if that aspect was unclear I provided an explanation.
And this will be my last post on this subject.

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-20-2020 at 03:23 AM.
10-20-2020, 03:37 AM   #131
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not guilty for you misinterpreting my posts. (...)
...nor am I for you not writing what you intended to.

Anyway, the concepts of guilt and fault have nothing to do here. This is neither a trial nor a debate on moral philosophy, just a gear forum.
10-20-2020, 04:11 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has happened before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I vividly remember that Pentax 11-point AF was identical to some Nikon model. I can't remember now which.....
It was alos said at the time that Nikon AF developers were former Pentax employees.

---------- Post added 10-20-20 at 01:13 PM ----------

What do you mean, not baseless? Do you have any sort of information, hint, anything that would point toward a Nikon-licensed AF? Does Mistral?
If not, it is baseless.
Who knows? But I cannot imagine how you can implement features like AF and SR without getting licenses from someone for at least parts of the system. You can't reinvent the wheel several times over.....
10-20-2020, 04:59 AM   #133
Pentaxian

I disagree.

And it is not plausible, not with the information we have (which is basically nothing).
Rumored AF points being the same ballpark? You don't know that. Maybe the Pentax AF has 101 AF points, or 199, or 999 for that matter - they're all "more than 99".
Nikon is not the only one to introduce IBIS on their camera. And Pentax did develop quite a few AF systems on their own.

Now, if the K-new had a 153-points AF with a suspiciously familiar layout... that would be a basis for such a rumor!

It IS plausible.
This forum is news and rumours. I'm not a native speaker in english, but maybe some semantics on the type of "talk" here might be necessary?
Rumors can be described as "public communications that are infused with private hypotheses about how the world works (Rosnow, 1991)". In this case, the subsample of the world we discuss about. The idea, that there might be an exchange between Nikon and Ricoh can be called a hypothesis. As far as I see it there is nothing that could support it beyond an observation of the appearance of one technology at Nikon where Ricoh has an undoubted expertise within. The type and technology of the new technology in the new Pentax is still almost unknown. A hypothesis about a cooperation is very weak and not supported by anything reliable. It will probably also be easy to falsify it as soon as the new camera would be announced. I would not call an exchange between Ricoh and Nikon a rumor, because it is not based on any evidence and pure extrapolation from a hypothesis. It would be different if the hypothesis could be backed up (some statement by one of the involved, clear similarity in details of the technology beyound the pure concept of it...). This could happen when we have something to compare, but for now, there is nothing substantial.
10-20-2020, 05:11 AM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can understand the "delay" : perhaps Sony gave them a super duper 45Mpix sensor in place...
10-20-2020, 05:34 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
This forum is news and rumours. I'm not a native speaker in english, but maybe some semantics on the type of "talk" here might be necessary?
Rumors can be described as "public communications that are infused with private hypotheses about how the world works (Rosnow, 1991)". In this case, the subsample of the world we discuss about. The idea, that there might be an exchange between Nikon and Ricoh can be called a hypothesis. As far as I see it there is nothing that could support it beyond an observation of the appearance of one technology at Nikon where Ricoh has an undoubted expertise within. The type and technology of the new technology in the new Pentax is still almost unknown. A hypothesis about a cooperation is very weak and not supported by anything reliable. It will probably also be easy to falsify it as soon as the new camera would be announced. I would not call an exchange between Ricoh and Nikon a rumor, because it is not based on any evidence and pure extrapolation from a hypothesis. It would be different if the hypothesis could be backed up (some statement by one of the involved, clear similarity in details of the technology beyound the pure concept of it...). This could happen when we have something to compare, but for now, there is nothing substantial.
Which is why we need to know about Nikon's SR. If it is magnet-based, there will be some ground.

As for Alex argument of the DFA*85, no it never was possible. rebadged never get a * designation.
Closed Thread