Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Where do you think I got it from?
Reagan? :P

10-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I don't get it, better to just stick to the pentax section over there. The open comments are really nasty.
No need to care what the comments are. I believe that there will be surprise for the price, at least when waiting for next BF :-) 1.05x OVF is definitely unique across the market.

Last edited by starjedi; 10-27-2020 at 05:02 PM.
10-27-2020, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Has anyone figured out the likely sensor model based on the specs?

(...)
Sony IMX571, already used by Fujifilm in their X-T3, X-T30, X-Pro3, X100V, X-T4 and X-S10.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX571BQR_Flyer.pdf
10-27-2020, 05:35 PM - 4 Likes   #214
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I don't get it, better to just stick to the pentax section over there. The open comments are really nasty.
Sort by 'best' comments instead.

Top 3 currently:

QuoteQuote:
You either 'get' Pentax or you don't, but hat they are doing should have a place in the photography world, and not just for those who get their ethos or buy their cameras - it just adds something unique, just like each of the major brands does.
Like 36

5 hours ago

Looks like a awesome camera that is an ergonomic joy to use all day long. Good that Pentax keeps serving the dSLR users. Maybe Pentax can gain some Nikon and Canon dSLR users who don't want to go to mirrorless.

Like 35

7 hours ago

I hope they do well with this camera. Some of us still prefer an optical viewfinder. The price is irrelevant. It's not aimed at the smartphone crowd.

5 hours ago

10-27-2020, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #215
mee
Veteran Member

That said, one thing I hope Ricoh does is spend some money on refreshing the crop lens catalog. Nothing in the retail catalog should be using screwdrive and nothing over 500 dollars should be without weather sealing of some variety imo. They don't even have to change the optical formulas, just redesign a housing for them and use a more quiet and precise AF drive system.
10-27-2020, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #216
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That said, one thing I hope Ricoh does is spend some money on refreshing the crop lens catalog. Nothing in the retail catalog should be using screwdrive and nothing over 500 dollars should be without weather sealing of some variety imo. They don't even have to change the optical formulas, just redesign a housing for them and use a more quiet and precise AF drive system.
I reckon a great flagship setup for a guy or girl with a flagship sized credit card would be:

K-3 III
DA*11-18
DA*20-40 Limited
DA*55
DA 70-210
DA 150-450
10-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sony IMX571, already used by Fujifilm in their X-T3, X-T30, X-Pro3, X100V, X-T4 and X-S10.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX571BQR_Flyer.pdf
Thanks. I don't really understand the word length part of the chart. I'm assuming this has nothing to do with 14 bit raws.

10-27-2020, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #218
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I reckon a great flagship setup for a guy or girl with a flagship sized credit card would be:

K-3 III
DA*11-18
DA*20-40 Limited
DA*55
DA 70-210
DA 150-450
But if they have a flagship sized bank account, why would they go with Pentax specifically when it's missing a modern 16-50mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, and 85mm f/1.8 crop designs? standard/traditional stuff.

Not picking a battle with you, but thinking this outside of entrenched brand circles. If you were looking for a DSLR crop system, what do you think would be the benefits for you to going with this Pentax and those zooms versus Canon and their zooms or Nikon and their zoom catalogs? Or really the fact that both Canon and Nikon have fairly solid prime lens catalogs too. And they all still make crop DSLRs and already have a deep line of established OEM and 3rd party modern lenses.

The point being, Ricoh is going to have to sell the system, not just the body if they want new money. And doing that is going to require more cash outlay on Ricoh's part imo to convince others the waters are fine. That lens roadmap is enticing but their rate of release is remarkably slow. And there isn't much on it in terms of crop system.

OTOH Canon and Nikon have a different issue. Their systems are, comparatively, much more up to date on the crop side but they have to convince buyers that the system will continue to be supported. I think the advantage is to them over Pentax right now.

Over time, that may change, provided Canon and Nikon actually do exit crop DSLR. But I think Ricoh/Pentax have an uphill battle right now to convince buyers their system is the system to 'invest' in over the long term.
10-27-2020, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #219
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
That will be JAPanese pricing which is always higher than US and Europe.The wafer that the 26mp sensor is cut from is the same as the 61mp in the A7r4(and fuji 100).

mmmmm....61mp K1 III...... how good would life be..... I'm going to hold out for it.... viewfinder as good as a 645z.....

---------- Post added 28-10-20 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Where are the FF senors on those graphs?... can only see a 24mp....

Last edited by noelpolar; 10-27-2020 at 06:13 PM.
10-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very interesting camera, to say the least.

Now, I am really looking forward to the final specs and "upcoming" hands-on reviews from users (and testers).
I am hoping for a much upgraded AF system with proper tracking features ... we shall see.
10-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #221
Pentaxian

But if they have a flagship sized bank account, why would they go with Pentax specifically when it's missing a modern 16-50mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, and 85mm f/1.8 crop designs?
Which lenses to get depends entirely on what your goals are. Your list might be good for those who want lots of ‘good bokeh’ shots, but those of us who are interested in wide depth of field are better served by lighter cheaper lenses like the 55-300mm PLM lens. For me, a lens used at apertures like f/1.7 was a cost of my usually using Kodachrome 25, but I was happier using numbers like f/8 or f/11.
10-27-2020, 06:37 PM - 2 Likes   #222
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But if they have a flagship sized bank account, why would they go with Pentax specifically when it's missing a modern 16-50mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, and 85mm f/1.8 crop designs? standard/traditional stuff.

Not picking a battle with you, but thinking this outside of entrenched brand circles. If you were looking for a DSLR crop system, what do you think would be the benefits for you to going with this Pentax and those zooms versus Canon and their zooms or Nikon and their zoom catalogs? Or really the fact that both Canon and Nikon have fairly solid prime lens catalogs too. And they all still make crop DSLRs and already have a deep line of established OEM and 3rd party modern lenses.

The point being, Ricoh is going to have to sell the system, not just the body if they want new money. And doing that is going to require more cash outlay on Ricoh's part imo to convince others the waters are fine. That lens roadmap is enticing but their rate of release is remarkably slow. And there isn't much on it in terms of crop system.

OTOH Canon and Nikon have a different issue. Their systems are, comparatively, much more up to date on the crop side but they have to convince buyers that the system will continue to be supported. I think the advantage is to them over Pentax right now.

Over time, that may change, provided Canon and Nikon actually do exit crop DSLR. But I think Ricoh/Pentax have an uphill battle right now to convince buyers their system is the system to 'invest' in over the long term.
IMO Mee I have all those covered staying within the Pentax ecosystem. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

I have every shooting scenario I'm interested in satisfactorily covered, landscape to wildlife to portraiture, and on both crop and full-frame. I really don't care if I had a dozen lens options in every range. I'd put my glass up against any Canon or Nikon or Sony shooter (and have) and feel perfectly confident doing so. The best part? it hasn't cost me a fortune to do so.

Having said all that I would 1000% agree with you that while those of us invested here understand how great some of the lenses are those outside are largely unappreciative. Pentax has to really work harder at "selling the system".

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-27-2020 at 06:53 PM.
10-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #223
maw
Pentaxian

I can hypothesize that many people buy advertised and therefore "renowned" brands, just because the trend of our society is the one imposed by the social media and all that apparatus of insulting characters who rightly or wrongly make trend.

Who buys Canon, Nikon, Sony, maybe it's because they have something that users want, that is speed, lightness, being in step with others, that is the spirit of emulation.

Pentax, for its part, looks at all this with different eyes, and maybe it's invisational to many because it doesn't follow these trends, and therefore kept on the sidelines, in magazines, in forums they talk about it,
good performance, great machine, but in the end who buys it are only the real fans, that is us.

I had Canon (6D) for two years (with several renowned lenses), no feeling, my second son a few months (before he was Canon) last week lent me his flaming Sony A7RIII with 100-400 zoom.
Well, good photos great dynamic range, but I could not get used to the menu, the camera body (grip), but especially the viewfinder, no I would not buy a mirrorless.

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Having said all that I would 1000% agree with you that while those of us invested here understand how great some of the lenses are those outside are largely unappreciative. Pentax has to really work harder at "selling the system".
Perfectly agree gatorguy, if there were some more affordable lenses with faster autofocus systems Pentax would gain in money and popularity, this is sure.
10-27-2020, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #224
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
IMO Mee I have all those covered staying within the Pentax ecosystem. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

I have every shooting scenario I'm interested in satisfactorily covered, landscape to wildlife to portraiture, and on both crop and full-frame. I really don't care if I had a dozen lens options in every range. I'd put my glass up against any Canon or Nikon or Sony shooter (and have) and feel perfectly confident doing so. The best part? it hasn't cost me a fortune to do so.

Well, gatorguy, it was a question not posed to current Pentax users as current Pentax users but thinking outside of brand circles. Which is why I said
QuoteQuote:
but thinking this outside of entrenched brand circles.
to avoid this very interaction.

The discussion I'm having is to say you're joe lotofcash and you're not currently entrenched in any system (or at least willing to switch) but looking for a crop DSLR system.

If all three systems were laid out in front of prospective buyers, why does anyone think Pentax will be the top choice currently?

I think there are holes in the system in terms of modern designs. Canon has a lot of really nice pancakes with in lens motors. Nikon has a lot of traditional Dx/crop designs with in lens motors. Quite a number of 3rd party for EF and F mount too.

But for Pentax K the pickings are slim and largely, especially on the crop side, rather antiquated.

This matters if you're looking at the system, without being in the system, and comparing ones options imo.

Long term, once Ricoh launch that new DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 and maybe a new series of in lens motor (and preferably sealed) crop primes, it will be more competitive though. The K-3 III and the roadmap for the 16-50mm are definitely strong first steps to steering the ship back around. It's exciting. But they are not the only steps that need to happen, over time imo. Esp with the premium prices these days....
10-27-2020, 07:34 PM - 2 Likes   #225
Veteran Member

The autofocus system and continuous shooting capability are greatly improved and look very impressive, but I'm distinctly concerned about the buffer depth, which points to slower buffer clearing than I'd like to see.

Pentax claims 32 RAWs at 12 fps and 37 RAWs at 7 fps. This comes out to a buffer clearing rate of only about two RAWs per second. UHS-II can definitely do better than that. If we're assuming 35 MB RAWs and a card capable of 280-300 MB/s, it should be possible to write 5-7 RAWs to the card each second. Hopefully, Pentax will sort this out before release, and they have time to improve the firmware to speed up buffer clearing.

Draco
Closed Thread