Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 03:15 AM   #421
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe so. I would just be happy if Pentax enabled focus peaking during video operation. I've never liked auto focus during video very much (and I don't think the K-70 can use the PDAF points during video operation, only before).
It does do continuous AF in video. Whether it's using the OSPDAF points, you'll have to look up if you want to know, don't have that info in my head right now.

10-29-2020, 03:24 AM   #422
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Yeah of course the layers on top can be changed. But given that on sensor PDAF is "on sensor"
I'm not sure you're correct, someasiancameraguy. I think a pixel is a pixel on that sensor, it's just how it's masked/wired, if it does focus or part of the imaging or nothing at all (as they may be at the edges with IBIS).

For instance, if what you're saying was true, PDAF pixels are somehow baked into the sensor, the K-3 would have to have 117 focus points like the Fuji XT-3, there can be no other possible configuration.
10-29-2020, 03:27 AM   #423
Pentaxian

29 pages!!! I wonder how long this will go when CP+21 arrive?
10-29-2020, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #424
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hiya Ian, but can it take a crappy snappy like I do, in jest but this forthcoming K3iii has been seriously dissected already by most here haha not much to say, I am waiting for an updated K1iii, to take more crappy snaps, jeez this is fun, abated breath I am, hope you don't mind my nonsense, Ian
Yes, it is nonsense, but you're being sociable so nobody minds. In fact, I'll applaud. It's a refreshing change from the trolls owning other brands chiming in here to 'educate us' about shortcomings compared to theirs, or even homegrown Pentaxian naysayers.

Some positivity for you: the technology in this K3 III - and it's loaded with it, from the touch screen to all new PRIME, SAFOX, 11 channel WiFi, USB 3 (you'll probably be able to charge it like your phone, out of your car cigarette lighter, even) - will be tested in this and got right for the next K-1, and even 645 if it's still financially doable in this disastrous world camera market. I'm not crazy, that's how the K-1 and 645Z came about - they're basically K-3s inside, with bigger sensors.

And are you still in Thailand, Ian? That'd be a great place for photography! Perhaps you've come home for the covid crisis, which is eminently sensible.

10-29-2020, 03:31 AM   #425
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm not sure you're correct, someasiancameraguy. I think a pixel is a pixel on that sensor, it's just how it's masked/wired, if it does focus or part of the imaging or nothing at all (as they may be at the edges with IBIS).

For instance, if what you're saying was true, PDAF pixels are somehow baked into the sensor, the K-3 would have to have 117 focus points like the Fuji XT-3, there can be no other possible configuration.
Not sure if I understand correctly what you are trying to say, but for all the Sony sensors I have seen recently where there was an OSPDAF variant available, there was also a "pure pixels" variant without the modified pixels/sensels.
10-29-2020, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #426
Pentaxian

I see the XT-4 having 91 focus points, probably the same sensor.
10-29-2020, 03:55 AM - 3 Likes   #427
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I hadn't seen this financial data. A surprise. Somehow I was expecting Canon ja Sony to be the two survivors in this business in the long run.
I think of the top three camera companies, perhaps only Canon will still be around in more than a decade's time, to be honest, and that's to do with willingness to still allocate millions of dollars into the concept of a consumer camera, nothing about future technologies. Nikon is bleeding from the artery while Sony's investors want (understandably) their money parked in sectors that return big profits - they got out of manufacturing computers for that very reason, and may do the same thing with TVs.

I've not the slightest idea about the niche companies in that timescale. They are more agile than the big dinosaurs, that helps when the asteroid hits the earth, but they probably need to hide for financial reasons in a bigger organization that tolerates them. Hasselblad's part of that Chinese drone manufacturer DJI now, Pentax in Ricoh, maybe Leica and Phase One will have to do the same.

10-29-2020, 04:05 AM   #428
Veteran Member

Yes, it is nonsense, but you're being sociable so nobody minds. In fact, I'll applaud. It's a refreshing change from the trolls owning other brands chiming in here to 'educate us' about shortcomings compared to theirs, or even homegrown Pentaxian naysayers.

Some positivity for you: the technology in this K3 III - and it's loaded with it, from the touch screen to all new PRIME, SAFOX, 11 channel WiFi, USB 3 (you'll probably be able to charge it like your phone, out of your car cigarette lighter, even) - will be tested in this and got right for the next K-1, and even 645 if it's still financially doable in this disastrous world camera market. I'm not crazy, that's how the K-1 and 645Z came about - they're basically K-3s inside, with bigger sensors.

And are you still in Thailand, Ian? That'd be a great place for photography! Perhaps you've come home for the covid crisis, which is eminently sensible.
Hi again, thanks for the reply, all in jest, yes I am still in Thailand, most probably gonna pop my clogs here, I have no other home this is it, pretty good considering the worlds state of affairs, tricky with pics where I am in the North East as a lot dislike having pics taken of them, haha nothing like Pattaya, Bangkok, etc, enough about me, how are things faring with you ?
10-29-2020, 04:05 AM   #429
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Not sure if I understand correctly what you are trying to say, but for all the Sony sensors I have seen recently where there was an OSPDAF variant available, there was also a "pure pixels" variant without the modified pixels/sensels.
I don't think there's such a thing, Breafastographer.

I think these Sony wafers are exactly the same, what distinguishes one camera from another is what goes on top, the masking.

Happy to be shown otherwise.
10-29-2020, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think of the top three camera companies, perhaps only Canon will still be around in more than a decade's time, to be honest, and that's to do with willingness to still allocate millions of dollars into the concept of a consumer camera, nothing about future technologies. Nikon is bleeding from the artery while Sony's investors want (understandably) their money parked in sectors that return big profits - they got out of manufacturing computers for that very reason, and may do the same thing with TVs.

I've not the slightest idea about the niche companies in that timescale. They are more agile than the big dinosaurs, that helps when the asteroid hits the earth, but they probably need to hide for financial reasons in a bigger organization that tolerates them. Hasselblad's part of that Chinese drone manufacturer DJI now, Pentax in Ricoh, maybe Leica and Phase One will have to do the same.
Phase One has been selling "real" medium format stuff for a while and they don't need a lot of volume for it. As long as their stuff is more or less needed for certain stuff they'll be in business - a friend sent me a month ago some photos of the photo session his company had commissioned to make a product catalogue. The photographer was using a 150MP Phase One with Schneider lenses - a tidy 50K € setup .

Leica is Leica. If Rolex or other watchmakers haven't quite gone out of business, I doubt Leica will either. Although they are collaborating with other companies.

If I had to predict, I'd say Sony goes first if only because they can drop the division and buy another to chase the next "it" market. Nikon is in real danger too if they cannot stabilize and fast. Although I'd think they'll try to downsize to preserve the company - they can't just drop the camera market like Sony because it's their biggest part.
10-29-2020, 04:15 AM - 2 Likes   #431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I wasn't aware that the 26mp datapoint was enough to determine what sensor it is. But if it's certain that there's only one 26mp sensor available it can only be that one. I have no connections in the sensor business nor do I follow leaks and such in that field so I didn't know.

Pentax strategy seems to be to wait a few years and use the best sensors a few years after other brands come out with their models. Just another thing suggesting it might be the Fuji sensor.
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I *think* there are two off the shelf sensors that fit the bill... one is BSI, the other FSI if memory serves right. I'd have to double check.
The only off-the-shelf 26MP APS-C Sony sensor I know of is IMX571 and it's backside illuminated.

The frontside illuminated one is IMX271 and it has 24MP.

Products|Image Sensor:Consumer Camera|products|Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group
10-29-2020, 04:16 AM   #432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The only off-the-shelf 26MP APS-C Sony sensor I know of is IMX571 and it's backside illuminated.

The frontside illuminated one is IMX271 and it has 24MP.

Products?Image Sensor?Consumer Camera?products?Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group
Aha, thanks for the correction! Well then, the BSI it is (as long as it is an off the shelf sensor, which is typical for Pentax).
10-29-2020, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #433
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Aha, thanks for the correction! Well then, the BSI it is (as long as it is an off the shelf sensor, which is typical for Pentax).
Just for completeness, it should be mentioned that Gannon Burgett of DPReview made a claim about this that is probably flawed in its wording:
"will feature an entirely redesigned 26-megapixel CMOS sensor"

I also think it will be an off the shelf sensor. The times that I've read Mr. Burgett's articles, I've not always found them to stand up to rigorous fact-checking.

The Pentax-specific magic will happen elsewhere in the imaging pipeline.
10-29-2020, 05:02 AM   #434
Pentaxian

It could be a newer iteration. Or not. The image quality doesn't exclusively depend on the sensor, anyway.
10-29-2020, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #435
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Just for completeness, it should be mentioned that Gannon Burgett of DPReview made a claim about this that is probably flawed in its wording:
"will feature an entirely redesigned 26-megapixel CMOS sensor"

I also think it will be an off the shelf sensor. The times that I've read Mr. Burgett's articles, I've not always found them to stand up to rigorous fact-checking.

The Pentax-specific magic will happen elsewhere in the imaging pipeline.
You know, Nikon always claims to have a special sensor in their cameras. I am guessing that Sony does small tweaks to the sensors as per the purchasers request. That doesn't really mean that there is a huge difference in performance between, say a K5 and a D7000.

I guess just a little comment as to the staying power of different ILC brands. My guess is that most of them will stick around, except for Olympus and Sigma.

That said, I would be suprised if the majority of them don't do a lot of streamlining in the coming couple of years. Lower level SLRs are already pretty much history. But even in the MILC marketplace, odds are good that Sony, Canon and Nikon will all need to cut down the number of different models they offer. There just doesn't seem to be enough difference between the models to warrant the number that each brand has currently.

The ILC market has shrunk a bunch and this year it will be worse. If you can sell three models and get the same number of sales you would with seven models, there is no reason to have the higher number.
Closed Thread