Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 06:22 AM   #1126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Henk T Quote
On the K-1 there is besides the GPS switch an indicator light. This I don't see anywhere on the K-3 3.
Did you ever consider that the GPS is part of the "Smart" functions???? It probably doesn't absolutely have to be activated by a physical button somewhere on the camera body.

11-16-2020, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #1127
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Did you ever consider that the GPS is part of the "Smart" functions???? It probably doesn't absolutely have to be activated by a physical button somewhere on the camera body.
As a k-1 and k-3ii user that geotag my images I find that both the physical button and the light is over the top . Its a setting you change comparatively rarely and the icon is displayed on the screen. Pentax would do well to remove them and simplify the body.
11-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #1128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
As a k-1 and k-3ii user that geotag my images I find that both the physical button and the light is over the top . Its a setting you change comparatively rarely and the icon is displayed on the screen. Pentax would do well to remove them and simplify the body.
Fully agree. I like new features on the K-33. I use K-1 and have to say that Fn wheel on this body is also over the top - mainly because it has fixed function set. When I saw that the KP got improved Fn. wheel it was clear to me that future FF body will get also this better implementation and now I see that they made big step forward with K-33 and Fn button. I probably won't buy this camera but the next FF... who knows.
11-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #1129
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I would say I never geotag my photos, but I have on at least three rare occasions I can think of. One is ghost factory/warehouse that was almost impossible for me to find so yeah I tagged that one. The other two were wildlife areas that I could probably locate without it but just to be sure I did it anyway.

I'm with you in general: Those that do, do, and those that don't, well they don't. Changing it isn't something likely done very often.

11-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #1130
Pentaxian

With low energy bluetooth, it is possible to get GPS position from a smartphone.
Which may be more accurate and can give correct position when indoors.

Low energy bluetooth may also make the smartphone app more convenient compared to using WiFi.
So you can keep the smartphone online through WiFi when you have your camera connected to the smartphone.

But camera manufacturers are in general not best know for their app designs.
11-16-2020, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #1131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
With low energy bluetooth, it is possible to get GPS position from a smartphone.

Low energy bluetooth may also make the smartphone app more convenient compared to using WiFi.
So you can keep the smartphone online through WiFi when you have your camera connected to the smartphone.

If the K-3iii is like my car audio system and all I have to do is turn on the car and the Bluetooth automatically pairs with my phone, that's all good. If I have to mess around with Ricoh/Pentax app on the phone and do some even slightly fiddly dance to make it pair up and make sure it stays paired and transferring GPS and other data it's going to rarely be used. And the baseline performance here is the K-3ii's GPS, which just works when you hit the button.
11-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #1132
Pentaxian

The downside of using phone/bluetooth for location is you lose camera heading information, compared to the in-built GPS/Attitude/Heading system in the K-3ii and K-1, so astrotracer can't function seamlessly. As the hardware for GPS is so cheap and small these days, I would be very surprised if it isn't included in a flagship model.

The lack of dedicated button/indicator isn't surprising, I'd be more surprised if it was still there: the SFn selector [or info screen] is the obvious place to control it.

11-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #1133
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
That’s so Pentax. Motion bracketing! Someone needs a photo stitch mode to remove crowds by taking a bunch of images and removing the people.
It is something available in Photoshop. It would be cool to have it available as an in camera routine.
11-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #1134
Veteran Member

I just noticed that the new body has a dedicated SR button. Any theories as to why a button like this is necessary?
11-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #1135

The GPS of the K-1 is always 'spot on' for me in reporting to the nature observation data base in my country. Their program reads the coordinates of my picture and plots these on their map. This looks very accurate as I can check easily when e.g. taking a picture from the border of a pool and I know the spot well.
11-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #1136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Considering the camera is marketed for "dynamism", I'm fairly certain that bringing the SR button back is for quickly changing between "Normal" and "Panning" SR for improved performance while tracking.
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I thought about that because it *is* one of those little usability things that Pentax loves doing. Now if they brought back the lever for metering modes instead of that lock/unlock thing that might as well not exist... . I understand that's useful for some people but it's the one thing I believe they have made worse over the years.
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
I just noticed that the new body has a dedicated SR button. Any theories as to why a button like this is necessary?
See above possibilities.
11-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #1137
Pentaxian

The K10D/K20D had an SR lever as well.

11-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #1138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hadn't noticed, but I liked the button on the K5.
11-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #1139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
If the K-3iii is like my car audio system and all I have to do is turn on the car and the Bluetooth automatically pairs with my phone, that's all good. If I have to mess around with Ricoh/Pentax app on the phone and do some even slightly fiddly dance to make it pair up and make sure it stays paired and transferring GPS and other data it's going to rarely be used.
That may depend on menu settings.
On my KP I have to turn on WiFi whenever I'm going to use it, but of course, WiFi is different from Bluetooth.
11-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #1140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That may depend on menu settings.
On my KP I have to turn on WiFi whenever I'm going to use it, but of course, WiFi is different from Bluetooth.
LE (low energy) bluetooth can wake up devices that are "turned off". On my Olympus Air 01 a bluetooth connection is established from my phone as soon as the app on my mobile phone is started. The camera can be turned off and will be turned on, then a WIFI connection is established for the actual remote control, to provide a live view, control of functions and image transfer. BT would be too slow for that. Now, this could work on a DSLR probably for settings that are not set by external switches, to avoid contradictory information between settings of levers and set functions. This might be only the on off switch and the AF switch. The Fn button instead of the Function selection wheel might be also better suited for deeper possibilities for remote control. It could be possible to duplicate the options from the touchscreen which would be available either in LV or movie mode.
Closed Thread