Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2020, 07:51 AM - 6 Likes   #1231
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ojutan Quote
without GPS and without builtin flash there isn't a justification for the target price.
One can say this about any minor feature being left off a product if that feature happens to be of some importance to a particular user.
Oh, they left off the full sized spare on the new Dodge. How can they possibly justify 40K for that car after they did that?

12-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #1232
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be that there is still that GPS on board. At first it went ’upthere’ to replace that popup flash. Now one might not agree that this new OVF is not enough to make the justification. But it is not just that what you’ll get for the money. But if that is not good enough for your money, just do not buy it. Propably it would be overkill anyway for good old Pentaxians who are happy with what they have already..
12-01-2020, 05:15 PM - 3 Likes   #1233
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
February .. is coming.
unless theres a

tsnami
fire
earthquake
volcanic eruption
global fiscal collapse
but February is coming
12-02-2020, 02:45 AM - 5 Likes   #1234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
February .. is coming.
unless theres a

tsnami
fire
earthquake
volcanic eruption
global fiscal collapse
but February is coming
Considering this joke of a year, none of those is off the table, and I'll throw in "asteroid hit" for good measure...

12-02-2020, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #1235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tsnami
fire
earthquake
volcanic eruption
global fiscal collapse
but February is coming
Don't forget :

Conquest,
War,
Famine,
Plague
12-02-2020, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #1236
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are lots of reasons why the camera could be delayed. The most obvious is simply if some component isn't available in the amounts they need. Or maybe COVID screwed up their testing and they need another month to work on it.

I suppose in the end it is better to release a fully formed model than to have to release firmware updates a week after launch to delay with problems.
12-02-2020, 04:56 AM   #1237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Considering this joke of a year, none of those is off the table, and I'll throw in "asteroid hit" for good measure...
So, maybe we should hope for an {early} 2021 announcement and release.

12-02-2020, 05:07 AM   #1238
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There are lots of reasons why the camera could be delayed. The most obvious is simply if some component isn't available in the amounts they need. Or maybe COVID screwed up their testing and they need another month to work on it.

I suppose in the end it is better to release a fully formed model than to have to release firmware updates a week after launch to delay with problems.
Yes, they really have to launch a fully tested, final product - rather than a "beta" version, even if the latter might be "fixed" with firmware.
If they screw it up (Ricoh Imaging didn't, Pentax did a few times) the poor impression of the camera would last. Which would be dangerous, perhaps fatal.

3 more months while the camera has a life time of several years. It's not that bad.
12-02-2020, 05:48 AM   #1239
Pentaxian

February .. is coming.
unless theres a

tsnami
fire
earthquake
volcanic eruption
global fiscal collapse
but February is coming
Let me correct that "fiscal collapse" is highly unlikely.
They aways find someone to fill the gap
12-02-2020, 07:05 AM - 3 Likes   #1240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Release the K3iiiken!
12-02-2020, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #1241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, they really have to launch a fully tested, final product - rather than a "beta" version, even if the latter might be "fixed" with firmware.
If they screw it up (Ricoh Imaging didn't, Pentax did a few times) the poor impression of the camera would last. Which would be dangerous, perhaps fatal.

3 more months while the camera has a life time of several years. It's not that bad.
It is really odd to me that we have gotten to the point that photographers response to flaws in a camera that is released is: "Oh well, they'll fix it with a firmware update." That's all well and good for auto focus issues with a Z series camera, or overheating with Canon MILC, but Pentax isn't going to weather the bad press from something like that.

But consumers are pretty used to products being released in an advanced beta stage...

Last edited by Rondec; 12-03-2020 at 03:39 AM.
12-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #1242
Pentaxian

It is really odd to me that we have gotten to the point that photographers response to flaws in a camera that is released is: "Oh well, they'll fix it with a firmware update." That's all well in good for auto focus issues with a Z series camera, or overheating with Canon MILC, but Pentax isn't going to weather the bad press from something like that.
For those brands, it's seen as an advantage - excellent support
12-02-2020, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #1243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is really odd to me that we have gotten to the point that photographers response to flaws in a camera that is released is: "Oh well, they'll fix it with a firmware update." That's all well in good for auto focus issues with a Z series camera, or overheating with Canon MILC, but Pentax isn't going to weather the bad press from something like that.

But consumers are pretty used to products being released in an advanced beta stage...
As an engineer, I've sometimes heard the phrase "eventually you have to shoot the engineers." At some point you have to draw a line in the sand, set a deadline, stop the 12th round of testing, hold to your requirements, stop gold-plating and over-engineering.

Every product will have bugs. Especially electronics with software. If you want 0% defects you'll end up never releasing anything. I work on military electronics that are 20 years old that have dozens of open trouble reports. And it works very well.
12-02-2020, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #1244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Let me correct that "fiscal collapse" is highly unlikely.
They aways find someone to fill the gap
Would that fiscal collapse make a chain reaction which would cause earth to collaps to be flat, like pancake. That would make one group of people very happy..
12-02-2020, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #1245
Loyal Site Supporter

That reminds me...
I'm supposed to looking for one more "fully formed model" for a shoot this weekend. Thanks!
Closed Thread