Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #1261
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The Space Shuttle was built to a special standard that most of us cannot even dream to attain.
I forget the terminology now, but we - at the time - aimed at a level below it.
Most software projects could not afford what its developers did.
That's because the government never worries about spending OUR money.

12-03-2020, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #1262
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
No, it is because the Space Shuttle people were very very conscious of safety
{the Pentagon was our customer when we decided to develop to a lesser standard}.
12-03-2020, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #1263
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
We have Windows with millions of lines of code.
All OS's have millions of lines of code.

---------- Post added 12-03-20 at 02:17 PM ----------

The Space Shuttle was built to a special standard that most of us cannot even dream to attain.
I forget the terminology now, but we - at the time - aimed at a level below it.
Most software projects could not afford what its developers did.
They were using a precursor of CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability_Maturity_Model_Integration
When I worked at the big airframe manufacture out here, we went through mandatory CMMI training and weekly reviews. It seems that "The Company" has dropped that ball over the last decade or two.
12-05-2020, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #1264
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I believe Ricoh (an Ooku) were being completely straight when they said the K-3 III was planned for 2020.

Ricoh had been sticking to a 2020 release date for the K-3 Mark III until they provided an update on October 27 to say they were targeting CP+ 2021. They had announced the availability of the new USB-C charger for it, to be released at the end of November and they had started a teaser campaign of articles about it. But something happened.

On October 20 there was a major fire at an Asahi Kasei semiconductor factory in Japan. I have no direct evidence that Asahi Kasei make components for Pentax cameras, but you can see numerous product categories that could be used in cameras on their English website.
Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM)

Another article (Japanese) about the fire mentions AF modules and sensors for IBIS, although they are focusing on the smartphone angle. There are also some articles about the accident in English (search for “Asaki Kasei Fire”), but I didn’t find any that mentioned cameras. It seems the audio industry is going to be the heaviest hit.
??????????????????????LIMO? - Yahoo!????

If you look at the timeline it is quite interesting. The accident happened on October 20. Up to this point Ricoh had been sticking to a 2020 release date for the K-3 Mark III. then on October 27 the Ricoh Imaging President appeared in a video to announce the delay until CP+ 2021 (target).

So this is admittedly circumstantial but there is some evidence and it seems to explain Ricoh’s actions quite well. If this is actually what happened, there are a few conclusions to draw.
- Ricoh was genuinely planning to release the camera before Christmas
- They were quite quick in updating customers after they realized it would be delayed
- The teaser campaign was probably intended to be much shorter and less frustrating, the camera could have been released by now
- They probably have to wait for repairs to the facility or source alternative components. They may genuinely not know at this stage when they can release the camera
- This problem is likely to have an impact on other companies too, not just Ricoh
It seems I was probably right about this after all. It doesn't mention Ricoh specifically, but that's probably just a focus on the top 3. I'm sure it will affect Ricoh as well.

Potential component shortage for Canon, Nikon, and Sony after a devastating three-day fire at Japanese high-end IC components factory - Photo Rumors

12-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #1265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2020 continues to be a disastrous year, in my view, at least.
12-06-2020, 02:38 AM - 11 Likes   #1266
Veteran Member

For the most part, as I am still alive, so 2020 is a good year. Mean while, another year has passed and my wife still awaits a firmware update for me to address a number of ongoing defects.
12-06-2020, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #1267

I have to make the decision to either invest into a (used) car or get the new K3 for almost the same amount.
I think I'll have to go with the car snice it will actually help me out practicing photography.

12-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #1268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
2020 continues to be a disastrous year, in my view, at least.
As I cannot travel back home for the holidays this year, my parents sent a box of traditional Christmas sweets last week. It's been stuck in the post for a week without updates, so I hope I can get it for actual Christmas
12-06-2020, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #1269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
As I cannot travel back home for the holidays this year, my parents sent a box of traditional Christmas sweets last week. It's been stuck in the post for a week without updates, so I hope I can get it for actual Christmas
I don't know about your postal system - the one in the US is now run by a businessman who is trying to make it more profitable - actually less unprofitable.
After purchasing a Spotmatic from Canada, it entered the US at San Francisco - and its location hasn't been updated since then.
I don't know whether the now more "efficient" post office is letting it sit there, or whether their tracking is less meaningful now - I guess I'll find out when {hopefully not if} they deliver the package.
We are talking about sending chocolate candy to our daughters for Christmas; I have told my wife that this talk needs to turn into action this week to be sure it makes the 200 mile trip by Christmas.

Last edited by reh321; 12-06-2020 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added last line
12-06-2020, 10:34 AM   #1270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know about your postal system - the one in the US is now run by a businessman who is trying to make it more profitable - actually less unprofitable.
After purchasing a Spotmatic from Canada, it entered the US at San Francisco - and its location hasn't been updated since then.
I don't know whether the now more "efficient" post office is letting it sit there, or whether their tracking is less meaningful now - I guess I'll find out when {hopefully not if} they deliver the package.
Normally it works well in both Spain and Germany even for international... I assume that, with Covid restrictions and the pre-Christmas rush, international deliveries are just having delays.
12-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #1271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The fire at AKM's plant

It seems I was probably right about this after all. It doesn't mention Ricoh specifically, but that's probably just a focus on the top 3. I'm sure it will affect Ricoh as well.
AKM's website lists a number of components used in digital cameras, including:
  • Motor Drivers: "AKM's DC motor drivers have the largest market share for single lens reflex cameras..." (AKM)
  • Magnetic sensors
  • Electronic compass
  • Bluetooth Low Energy devices
  • Digital/analog converters
  • Hall-effect devices (used, for example, in image-stabilization assemblies)
"Our Vision" Message from the CEO: Our Vision | ABOUT AKM | Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM)
"...AKM has continued to provide unique products to customers such as sensor devices and motor driver ICs used in image stabilization and autofocus systems for cameras..."

24 Nov 2020: Inside Imaging EXCLUSIVE: Chip fire to hit camera supply?
EXCLUSIVE: Chip fire to hit camera supply? - Inside Imaging
"A reliable industry source has told Inside Imaging the factory in Nobeoka city supplies most Japanese camera makers."

Perhaps some of our members who have disassembled their camera might be able to say whether any Pentax cameras carry AKM components. For example, @someasiancameraguy recently showed a number of pictures of his tear-down of the K-1. Would his high-resolution images reveal AKM-marked components?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-06-2020 at 04:06 PM.
12-06-2020, 04:05 PM - 3 Likes   #1272
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
Because it's always better to have these things blow up on the launch pad to save a few pennies.
Sheesh.
12-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #1273
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Potential component shortage for Canon, Nikon, and Sony after a devastating three-day fire at Japanese high-end IC components factory - Photo Rumors
This might also be related: https://www.sony.jp/ichigan/info2/20201203.html (in Japanese)
SONY recently said that they have "parts supply problem" for their digital imaging products (Cybershot, alpha, videocam, actioncam). The press release linked above says that:
  • It might take some time to deliver alpha 6100.
  • Temporarily stopped taking orders for DSC-RX0M2 (tiny digital camera), FDR-AX45(videocam), HDR-CX680 (videocam), FDR-X3000/X3000R (actioncam) and HDR-AS300/AS300R (actioncam). They'll study the situation as they go to decide when they can accept orders again.
12-06-2020, 06:18 PM - 2 Likes   #1274
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course, in addition to any covid logistical problems, there is the issue of properly testing what are for the first time in years genuinely new PRIME processor, SAFOX hardware/firmware and video systems, all with presumably new capabilities. Not incremental updates. They should take as much time as they need. Maybe Canon can recover from a new release's overheating scandal, or Sony's banding problem, but little Pentax would be crucified in the press and remediation may never undo the damage.
12-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #1275
Pentaxian

Thanks for spotting this.

Last edited by Smolk; 12-06-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Closed Thread