Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #61
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Japanese prices are usually higher than US and Europe but upper 200k yen(9.46 in video)...I take as 270k ish yen which is almost 2600U$D
From what reported, if I have not misunderstood correctly, the hypothesis of just over 200,000 Yen (for example) 210,000 Y are about € 1,695.96 and $ 2,005 currently.

You have to calculate the currencies when they will be put on the market, of course this pandemic is a real nuisance to say the least.

10-26-2020, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #62

I very much appreciate Ricoh's specifications release this week. I am renting an X-T4 for a hiking trip this weekend and will be using an electronic viewfinder for the first time. My K-3 will also be in tow for comparisons. It will be nice to have some specifications from the K-3III to compare with my field experiences from the XT-4

Sadly, it appears there is no onboard GPS/Astrotracer functionality. Kudos to the folks predicting the K-3III was going to be targeted as a wildlife/action camera and that Ricoh was envisioning a product line with distinct purposes. While ISO performance, AF performance/coverage, and BT support were at the top of my desired improvements/features, so was onboard GPS and a non-stationary screen. I foolishly assumed the latter features would be no brainers given the K-3II onboard GPS and the K-1's revolutionary screen. There is no doubt that this camera will be a big leap forward for Ricoh/Pentax. I just am not confident it'll be the camera for me. It looks like I have some big decisions to make in the new year.

Enjoy the news everyone!
10-26-2020, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
Viewfinder Overlay: AF Points, Grid Display, Electronic Level, AF Frame, Spot Metering Frame, Crop, Smart Function, Operation Control Lock

So, hybrid viewfinder?
Screengrab of the video . Not revealing much, but there seem to be some additional symbols.
Attached Images

10-26-2020, 10:18 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Forum Member

It seems to be a little pricy if it is around $2000. Actually, people may choose K1 instead for its full frame and strong performance, not to mention other wonderful mirrorless cams made by Nikon, Sony, or whatever.

10-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SoonerCaniac Quote
I very much appreciate Ricoh's specifications release this week. I am renting an X-T4 for a hiking trip this weekend and will be using an electronic viewfinder for the first time. My K-3 will also be in tow for comparisons. It will be nice to have some specifications from the K-3III to compare with my field experiences from the XT-4

Sadly, it appears there is no onboard GPS/Astrotracer functionality. Kudos to the folks predicting the K-3III was going to be targeted as a wildlife/action camera and that Ricoh was envisioning a product line with distinct purposes. While ISO performance, AF performance/coverage, and BT support were at the top of my desired improvements/features, so was onboard GPS and a non-stationary screen. I foolishly assumed the latter features would be no brainers given the K-3II onboard GPS and the K-1's revolutionary screen. There is no doubt that this camera will be a big leap forward for Ricoh/Pentax. I just am not confident it'll be the camera for me. It looks like I have some big decisions to make in the new year.

Enjoy the news everyone!
I would not be so sure. In the viewfinder at least it has the symbol for GNSS/GPS. The K-3 II specsheet I just looked up also gives no hint on Astrotracer in the categories now revealed. But it could be without, maybe the space was taken by new prism etc...
By the way, the Fuji does not have GNSS/GPS at all, not even with kind of OGPS...?
10-26-2020, 10:31 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I would not be so sure. In the viewfinder at least it has the symbol for GNSS/GPS. The K-3 II specsheet I just looked up also gives no hint on Astrotracer in the categories now revealed. But it could be without, maybe the space was taken by new prism etc...
By the way, the Fuji does not have GNSS/GPS at all, not even with kind of OGPS...?
Yes, it's not set in stone. I am assuming though the specs are referring to OGPS support. I agree that OGPS is better than nothing, until I need fill-in flash. And, yes, several have speculated here geotagging will be supported via a mobile phone app, just like with the Fuji X-series. I'd much rather have OGPS support then be tied to my smartphone and location tracking. These are factors I will have to weigh when the time comes next year to make a decision. I am replacing the K-3 in 2021, that I know for certain. With what remains totally up in the air. My point was that for me, personally, these specs haven't made this an easy decision. I want to stay with Pentax, but I am going to research my alternatives before shelling out 1.5-2k USD.
10-26-2020, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Frankly, I'm shocked the name is K-3 Mark III, given that there is a new body design.
It seems like everything is new, so it is a little strange they choose a mark III name.
And Ricoh themselves even say "it is much more that just the next model in a series".

Not that it matter much to me, but it may not be the smartest choice in marketing of the new camera.
To start off a brand new generation APS-C flagship as a mark III camera.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-26-2020 at 11:51 PM.
10-26-2020, 10:40 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
€ 1,695.96 and $ 2,005 currently.
Lets hope so!....Also,maybe the translation could have confused the issue.

Anyway,they havent actually decided the price.Maybe they can do it for less than indicated today?
10-26-2020, 10:41 PM - 2 Likes   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Screengrab of the video
Lets have that a little larger shall we:
Attached Images

10-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

TTL open aperture metering using 307K pixel RGBIr sensor
10-26-2020, 11:11 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
Crossing fingers they will not forget the GPS.
GPS outputs are listed in Playback View in the Spec Sheet.
10-26-2020, 11:13 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ben-pentax Quote
TTL open aperture metering using 307K pixel RGBIr sensor
Sounds promising. Good increase from 84k and if Nikon gets good use from their 180k, this can only give more data to work with
10-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #73
Veteran Member

What sensor is it? 26~ish Megapixels. Is it a Sony IMX571? Fujis use 26 Mp sensors, are they the same?
10-26-2020, 11:17 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
That may be due to the redesigned pentaprism, or (I hope) onboard GPS.

---------- Post added 27-10-20 at 01:42 PM ----------

I wondered why they avoided calling a DSLR the K2, and I discovered that there was a film camera which used the K2 name. It still would have made sense to call it a K2 I think, even if they had to call it a K2D to distinguish it from the film camera. PS I think it looks like it will be a great camera too! I just wish I could place a pre-order now!
Spec sheet list GPS outputs under Playback View.

---------- Post added 10-27-20 at 02:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
That may only mean that it can record it with the GPS accessory. I really hope GPS is internal, though. It would be nice to dispense with the OGPS-1. Looking at the specs, the camera looks good. I'm just sad that it won't arrive until February.
It has GPS. The spec sheet lists GPS outputs under Playback View.
10-26-2020, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Would have made more sense to call it a K2.
I believe they'd keep K2 for a second FF. It's bound to happen at some time anyway.
Closed Thread