Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2020, 01:01 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
There seems to be an 'M.UP' symbol in the new viewfinder. I'm assuming that's a symbol for mirror up, which only makes sense if there was a hybrid viewfinder right?
They go to the trouble of designing the first hybrid viewfinder but then fail to use the on sensor pdaf that is in the Sony 26mp bsi cmos sensor?

---------- Post added 27-10-20 at 10:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
yes,the dual carded apsc line has always been k-3s.

o then it is obvious thank you for educating this fool

10-27-2020, 01:07 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
And we still don't know what the S.Fn button does right?
This?
QuoteQuote:
Viewfinder Overlay AF Points, Grid Display, Electronic Level, AF Frame, Spot Metering Frame, Crop, Smart Function, Operation Control Lock
10-27-2020, 01:11 AM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
This?
Probably. Still looking forward to hearing what that does. Lol

10-27-2020, 01:40 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I don't care how boring the name is. This camera looks really exciting.
I agree 100%... :-)

10-27-2020, 02:07 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They go to the trouble of designing the first hybrid viewfinder but then fail to use the on sensor pdaf that is in the Sony 26mp bsi cmos sensor?
Who knows lol. Pentax has done something similarly weird in the past, supposedly implementing the PDAF in the K-70, but it would lose focus within 1 second of starting a recording. We'll just have to wait and see to know more about whether there is a second dedicated Pentax body to video work, as well as any possible implementations of hybrid viewfinder.

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
All current FF flagship mirrorless have 0% cross type.
So that seems to be a non issue.
Yeah I tend to agree. If there's so many AF points coupled with a complex metering system then there is already a ton of data for the camera to understand the scene. The real question is whether that data is utilized well. Plenty of companies such as Fuji and Olympus have tons of on sensor PDAF points and yet are still prone to hunting during AF video recording for this reason. Other companies like Sony and Canon have for almost all practical purposes near flawless video AF with minimal hunting whilst working with a similar amount of PDAF points.

Ultimately, we need to wait for some hands-on reviews to evaluate the performance.

---

If the body truly had a hybrid viewfinder, as well as decent on sensor PDAF for video work I would buy the camera without any reservations.

Last edited by someasiancameraguy; 10-27-2020 at 02:14 AM.
10-27-2020, 02:09 AM - 5 Likes   #96
Pentaxian

Seems that most of rumours were correct. I could say that for most Pentaxians and especially APS-C shooters this must be next to best thing that has come out last years! Good news. 12 fps! Best image quality, totally remade AF. Pretty darn good buffer(really that is already enough) and more. It has that 4K...now Pentax is not video oriented brand, but there it is.

Sure street price is what it is, it’ll come down for sure.

I’m not sure why so many FF sayers up there? If you want milc and FF just buy one. If you want K-1, just buy one. Those can be had for much less. This new K-3III won’t be available for same price. Next K-1 gen. won’t be as cheap as well. Propably even 3 K? If one find no lust after Pentax, then by all means. Pick one brand what you find better for you, please.

I’m really pleased to see where pentax is going, and I’m going to follow.

---------- Post added 10-27-20 at 11:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Who knows lol. Pentax has done something similarly weird in the past, supposedly implementing the PDAF in the K-70, but it would lose focus within 1 second of starting a recording. We'll just have to wait and see to know more about whether there is a second dedicated Pentax body to video work, as well as any possible implementations of hybrid viewfinder.
Pentax don’t have continuous AF in video. If your camera lost focus, it is not it’s fault actually.
10-27-2020, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #97
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It is very nice of Ricoh to finally publish some detailed spec's. My first reading, it looks like it will be a good camera.

I still use a K-3 which I brought 6 years ago. It is still working well. There are many other brands where that might not be a realistic expectation. The K-3M3 looks very solid, rugged and that it will last equally well. So, very positive news, and I am looking forward to further information and the various reviews and analysis early next year.

I had better start saving

10-27-2020, 02:21 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote

Pentax don’t have continuous AF in video. If your camera lost focus, it is not it’s fault actually.
The K-70 does as mentioned in the post you quoted.

10-27-2020, 02:21 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I’m really pleased to see where pentax is going,
Yes,its a step forward for sure.Some will be saying about time and some wont care.

It will be interesting shooting with the 16billion ISO!
10-27-2020, 02:26 AM - 2 Likes   #100
Veteran Member

Yes,its a step forward for sure.Some will be saying about time and some wont care.

Hopefully the video ISO will similarly match. I know a lot of people would ask why bother with noisy video but it's actually decently useful when composing nightsky shots to be able to flip to video, crank the ISO, and see what I'm shooting without waiting for a 10 second exposure everytime I want to recompose.
10-27-2020, 02:50 AM   #101
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-3 III spec from Ricoh:
Pixel Shift Resolution : Available, Motion Correction On/Off
Do you think that "Motion correction on/off" means that hand-held pixel shift will be possible?

Last edited by aure45; 10-28-2020 at 12:17 AM.
10-27-2020, 03:00 AM - 5 Likes   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Frankly, I'm shocked the name is K-3 Mark III, given that there is a new body design.
I'm not surprised at all, and it is the least important of all of the specs anyway.
10-27-2020, 03:14 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
The K-70 does as mentioned in the post you quoted.
Well, perhaps it should then. But it is still old tech. This camera should be heads and shoulders above it. Would not count on it regards on video and AF.
10-27-2020, 03:14 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
What's so shocking about the name as a matter of fact in one of the recent threads someone said K-3 Mk3.
I did. There were a few others predicting the same.
10-27-2020, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #105
Pentaxian

So you’ll be shooting with it then, no?

Who cares if some won’t care. As long as they are not letting everyone know how much they do not care..
Closed Thread