Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2020, 06:17 AM - 5 Likes   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm mostly interested in the "dramatic improvement of image quality"...

10-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #122
bvg
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A7lll is 1698 now as well.
...and Nikon Z5 and Z6, and Panasonic S5 too...a difficult choice!
10-27-2020, 06:34 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I suspect that name is reserved for the second FF body. The K-1 II replacement will be called K-1 III probably.....

Or Maybe a ML at some point
10-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, specs seem decent. 12 fps mechanical shutter with nice buffer draws my attention. 1/200s flash sync. No mention of focus bracketing/stacking yet, but that doesn't mean it won't be there. Same weight as K-3. New viewfinder might be interesting. Fixed rear screen is a bummer. Better video is welcomed but hardly exciting by now. Expected price is very, very expensive for me. Availability still not for several months. I'll have to think about it, but it looks like I still have plenty of time to do just that...

10-27-2020, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #125
Pentaxian

Nothing to complain about so far from my perspective apart from the price.

Everything exceeds my own personal minimum specs.... but, without seeing how the new features interact with each other, it's hard to get a feeling on how it might work in your hands.

Last edited by normhead; 10-27-2020 at 07:05 AM.
10-27-2020, 06:51 AM - 5 Likes   #126
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Rebuilding my (excellent!) lens collection for a new platform would make it a non-starter for me.
10-27-2020, 06:52 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I'm mostly interested in the "dramatic improvement of image quality"...
I doubt it will be a game changer. The K-1 is still very much up there in terms of FF IQ and it's a 6-7 year old sensor. The KP already has spectacular IQ. Most modern cameras are largely comparable - the Pentaxes are a touch better because they don't have any OSPDAF, but it's not really super noticeable.

10-27-2020, 06:52 AM - 6 Likes   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Not if you have 20 Pentax lenses. It will only be a difficult choice for those without glass appropriate to what they shoot. So, not an issue for me and many others.
10-27-2020, 06:54 AM - 3 Likes   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not if you have 20 Pentax lenses.
Or if you want/need a SLR.
10-27-2020, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everything exceeds my own personal minimum specs.... but, without seeing how the new features interact with each other, it's hard to get agars on how it might work in your hands.
I agree, I cant see what else you could need with the exception of a flippy screen, pop up flash and a full frame sensor. If you dont need these then things then it really checks all of the boxes.
10-27-2020, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
^^^K-3 III^^^
so exciting!
can't wait to see the new AF system in action
It's the only thing I'm waiting for. Will tracking finally be better? Will the 101 AF points actually be useful, reliable, & accurate at tracking something or will users still have to resort to single point AF & follow it like they used to back in the 1900's? Hmmmm.....
10-27-2020, 07:00 AM - 4 Likes   #132
Pentaxian

It looks like a great camera. If the AF improvements are as significant as they seem to be, I will be a very early adopter!

I also love some important details like this: Sensor-shift shake reduction "SR II"(5-axis) Auto/Panning/Off

These are good signs for photographers like me who need good AF tracking performance and do a lot of panning shots!
10-27-2020, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote

Product name: Pentax K-3 Mark III
Well, that is disappointing and unimaginative in the extreme. It would seem the one thing Pentax really can't do is pull away from the camera
industry norm of silly, nonsensical, dead end iterative product names. Now that they've finally applied an iteration to a new body mold, I guess
we are stuck with a future of K1 Mk VII and KP Mk XIX. Maybe we'll even get a 'K90 MK IV s2c' some day; won't that be exciting!

I'll have my label maker at the ready to christen my K3 Mk III with a more deserving name.

Otherwise YAAAYYYY!!!!
10-27-2020, 07:04 AM - 3 Likes   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everything exceeds my own personal minimum specs.... but, without seeing how the new features interact with each other, it's hard to get agars on how it might work in your hands.
If I'm not wrong... 12 fps with mechanical shutter and and AF tracking is better than almost* any other cameras out there - and massive overkill for most photographers I'd bet. Almost a 50% increase over the K-3ii, with a similarly-lasting buffer in burst length (2.66 seconds for the K-3iii and 2.77 for the previous iteration), which is huge.

Specs-wise it's a monster. If the AF.C tracking is suitably consistent (watch out for DPR being incapable of setting up the camera) then it's hands down the highest-performing APS-C camera in the market. The lack of flippy screen is quite literally the only meaningful "but" it could have.

The RGB sensor is also the highest-resolution one I've seen so it's gonna be great.

*D6, 1D and that's it.
10-27-2020, 07:05 AM - 4 Likes   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The other forum is a troll fest; don't go there.
What other forum??? I never knew there was another forum!
Closed Thread