Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2020, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I'm plenty happy if it matches the older system in my D-750 and that'll be enough for me to upgrade my K-3.
Based on how my KP performs, it should at least surpass the higher ISO performance of the D500 and D750.

10-27-2020, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not if you have 20 Pentax lenses. It will only be a difficult choice for those without glass appropriate to what they shoot. So, not an issue for me and many others.
This. I have a Z6 and I love it - it's great for vintage Takumar lenses. But I also have enough quality modern Pentax glass (DA* 16-50. DA* 200, Sigma DG 70-200/2.8, DA40XS) that I would really like a newer Pentax body than my K-3. I've been eyeing a KP for a while, but maybe I'll wait and save up some more...
10-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Based on how my KP performs, it should at least surpass the higher ISO performance of the D500 and D750.
I don't go beyond 12800 much at all so high ISO is wasted on me. I'm much more interested in better dynamic range. My K-3 is behind my D750 in DR and ISO, also in AF. I'd be very happy if the new one could match that Camera in those aspects and I would use my Pentax glass more often.

The lens motors are still an issue though.

The problem is if they go above 2k in price you can basically buy a D500 with the really good 153 point AF that's in it and a 150-600 for $2500.
10-27-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That's the biggest question for me. I'm throwing away 30-50% of my soccer shots this fall. Some of that is me, it's just bad framing, it's the fact that you're never going to get something interesting in every shot. But how much will the 101 point system with new processing help? I don't use tracking at all now, nor do I use anything except center point with the point literally in the center. Will this allow me to be both more accurate and more creative? Hopefully...

And now I have at least two additional months of saving up Amazon points to be able to afford the ~$2k initial pricetag.
A friend of mine has a K-3II with the latest firmware & the DA 55-300mm PLM. It's kind of OK when you track something, but nowhere close to what the Nikon D7200 can do with a similar lens & using 3D tracking on it. The K-3II just can't seem to figure out what you're trying to track & I've just about tried using every single type of AF menu combo in the body. I'm talking about the hold settings & junk like that. Then there's the issue of all the AF points being clumped in the center of the frame. Not to mention that the viewfinder confirmation on the K-3II is not that great either. Quite often you're wondering what the body is focusing on. The D7200 keeps the AF point(s) lit up & shows you what you're tracking. The D7500 is better at that & the D500 is insanely better. I guess I have more confidence in Nikon's AF capabilities. I can definitely say that the K-3II has much better AF than my K-50. The DA 55-300mm PLM is more accurate on the K-3II versus the K-50, but the K-3II's AF is still not convincing enough for me. The KP has the same AF system as well.

I'm hoping that this camera will finally be able to track a moving subject reliably with all of its 101 AF points whether it moves, you move, or both of you move in all the X-Y-Z axis. Hopefully it's even better than what the current Nikon D7500 can do. Until it's released & tested, no one will know its AF capabilities. Ricoh has claimed better AF in the past, but, well, errrrrrrrrr.......... you know how that went. Hahaha!

10-27-2020, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
This. I have a Z6 and I love it - it's great for vintage Takumar lenses. But I also have enough quality modern Pentax glass (DA* 16-50. DA* 200, Sigma DG 70-200/2.8, DA40XS) that I would really like a newer Pentax body than my K-3. I've been eyeing a KP for a while, but maybe I'll wait and save up some more...
I'm in the same boat. I would love to use my Pentax glass more often so if they can get the K-3 iii in the ballpark of the Z6 or the D750 I'll be buying one and using my Pentax glass more often.

I basically bought into Nikon for the 150-600 options and the autofocus.
10-27-2020, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't go beyond 12800 much at all so high ISO is wasted on me.
The hope is that 12800 will become more like the current 6400 or 3200. And 3200 will be more like the K-3ii's 800.

Which isn't just good for really low light, but also for things like action requiring high shutter speed in okay light.

---------- Post added 10-27-20 at 11:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
A friend of mine has a K-3II with the latest firmware & the DA 55-300mm PLM. It's kind of OK when you track something, but nowhere close to what the Nikon D7200 can do with a similar lens & using 3D tracking on it. The K-3II just can't seem to figure out what you're trying to track & I've just about tried using every single type of AF menu combo in the body. I'm talking about the hold settings & junk like that. Then there's the issue of all the AF points being clumped in the center of the frame. Not to mention that the viewfinder confirmation on the K-3II is not that great either. Quite often you're wondering what the body is focusing on. The D7200 keeps the AF point(s) lit up & shows you what you're tracking. The D7500 is better at that & the D500 is insanely better. I guess I have more confidence in Nikon's AF capabilities. I can definitely say that the K-3II has much better AF than my K-50. The DA 55-300mm PLM is more accurate on the K-3II versus the K-50, but the K-3II's AF is still not convincing enough for me. The KP has the same AF system as well.

I'm hoping that this camera will finally be able to track a moving subject reliably with all of its 101 AF points whether it moves, you move, or both of you move in all the X-Y-Z axis. Hopefully it's even better than what the current Nikon D7500 can do. Until it's released & tested, no one will know its AF capabilities. Ricoh has claimed better AF in the past, but, well, errrrrrrrrr.......... you know how that went. Hahaha!
Oh, that's easy. If you're not sure, it's focusing on that parent 40 meters behind the guy with the ball.
10-27-2020, 08:38 AM - 7 Likes   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Maybe I should be waiting for the K-Pii
That might be irrational (nerdy math joke)

10-27-2020, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #158
Veteran Member

The hope is that 12800 will become more like the current 6400 or 3200. And 3200 will be more like the K-3ii's 800.

Which isn't just good for really low light, but also for things like action requiring high shutter speed in okay light.

---------- Post added 10-27-20 at 11:29 AM ----------

Oh, that's easy. If you're not sure, it's focusing on that parent 40 meters behind the guy with the ball.
We shall see. I think they've hit the wall with physics and high iso performance. I highly doubt we'll see a couple stops improvement in ISO with this camera that would put it on par with full frame which itself has hit the wall in improvements in ISO.

As for AF-C, It's going up against D500 which is really good.
10-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #159
Pentaxian

I don't go beyond 12800 much at all so high ISO is wasted on me. I'm much more interested in better dynamic range. My K-3 is behind my D750 in DR and ISO, also in AF. I'd be very happy if the new one could match that Camera in those aspects and I would use my Pentax glass more often.
I usually limit my KP to ISO 51K in TAv - the graceful high ISO performance of my KP finally makes it possible.
Most people focus on noise, but DR is one of the reasons for allowing ISO to go that high.

Last edited by reh321; 10-27-2020 at 08:54 AM.
10-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Hahaha! I've had that happen a few times with my K-50 & I only use the center point & back button AF. There will be times where the focus is completely off, even though the body is confirming that the focus is dead on. I can clearly see it in the viewfinder. Oh well.
10-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aure45 Quote
Do you think that "Motion correction on/off" means that hand-help pixel shift will be possible?
If you mean without a tripod, then I've been using my K-70 with the motion on selected for years. I brace it steady with my arms/knees in a sitting or kneeling position, or brace up against a handy support of some sort, plus pay attention to breath control........works fine.
10-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #162
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
There seems to be an 'M.UP' symbol in the new viewfinder. I'm assuming that's a symbol for mirror up, which only makes sense if there was a hybrid viewfinder right?
It's what I'm assuming too lol
10-27-2020, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #163
Loyal Site Supporter

As for AF-C, It's going up against D500 which is really good.
I think the new Pentax AF system equaling the D500 performance is expected. There's certainly room for improvement on the Nikon camera and personally I have high hopes Pentax has done so.
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d500/2
10-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I usually limit my KP to ISO 51K in TAv - the graceful high ISO performance of my KP finally makes it possible.
Most people focus on noise, but DR is one of the reasons for allowing ISO to go that high.
I cap mine at 12800 on my D750 and 1600 on my K-3. The Nikon's don't have a TAv dial but you can use auto iso in manual mode with them. It can be capped at whatever top limit you want similar to the Pentax Auto ISO limit settings as well.

Looking at the RAW's the KP has similar high ISO as the D500 and seems about a stop behind the D750, which is really good considering it still does well for high ISO. I'd expect the K-3 iii to be similar or with a small improvement in ISO. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they get a stop or more increase with the new sensor as that would be similar to full frame.

---------- Post added 10-27-2020 at 08:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I think the new Pentax AF system equaling the D500 performance is expected. There's certainly room for improvement on the Nikon camera and personally I have high hopes Pentax has done so.
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d500/2
I'll be buying it without hesitation if it matches the D500. I'm skeptical after each AF update they make promises and it's generally a pretty lukewarm update especially for AF-C.

As it stands Pentax AF is really behind the times and needs a huge update to be on par.

As it's spec'd it's already behind the D500 in points and cross points and shows no 3d tracking system.
10-27-2020, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #165
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be buying it without hesitation if it matches the D500.
As it's spec'd it's already behind the D500 in points and cross points and shows no 3d tracking system.
IMO by the time you've reached 100+ AF points and cross points the distribution is as much or more important than the absolute number. I look for Pentax to have learned from the D500 implementation and improved on it. Another quarter from now we'll see how they've done.
Closed Thread