Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2020, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to see flash sync speed is 1/200 sec. on K-3 III.
I didn't see anything about shutter life, hopefully it will be 300k like the K-1.

Cheers,
Terry

10-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Also is there anyone else aside from me worried about the price of the new K-3?

Plenty of forum members have stated their desire for a flippy screen and better video specs, and the Fuji X-S10 has both of these with the same sensor as the K-new in a body half the price. It even has some typical Pentax advantages (huge grip, DSLR like menus/buttons, IBIS). Unless someone really likes weather sealing or specifically looks at the viewfinder experience to see the difference between 1.05x to 0.62x magnification it's hard to see how an outsider looking to upgrade will choose Pentax.
10-27-2020, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #243
Veteran Member

How I see Ricoh strategy today is that they can't (and perhaps aren't even trying to) attract new users. After all, most of traditional Pentax strengths (like WR, IBIS, compact size) can be today found in other brands. Often in cameras that are in other ways even better or cheaper. So Ricoh is today selling mostly to long time Pentax users, with either a significant investment in K mount lenses or a nostalgic brand loyalty. And because these customers are loyal, the company can charge above the relative value of the cameras.

Last edited by Raffwal; 10-27-2020 at 11:20 PM.
10-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #244
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Plenty of forum members have stated their desire for a flippy screen and better video specs, and the Fuji X-S10 has both of these with the same sensor as the K-new in a body half the price. It even has some typical Pentax advantages (huge grip, DSLR like menus/buttons, IBIS). Unless someone really likes weather sealing or specifically looks at the viewfinder experience to see the difference between 1.05x to 0.62x magnification it's hard to see how an outsider looking to upgrade will choose Pentax.
This Fuji will be my next purchase once the price settles,almost half the weight of Knew.But will probably get the K-new once its price settles.

---------- Post added 10-28-20 at 05:31 PM ----------

Also is there anyone else aside from me worried about the price of the new K-3?
Doesnt worry me,i can wait till it drops.

10-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
How I see Ricoh strategy today is that they can't (and perhaps aren't even trying to) attract new users. After all, most of traditional Pentax strengths (like WR, IBIS, compact size) can be today found in other brands. Often in cameras that are in other ways even better or cheaper. So Ricoh is today selling mostly to long time Pentax users, with either a significant investment in K mount lenses or a nostalgic brand loyalty. And because these customers are loyal, the company can charge above the relative value of the cameras.
I can understand this as a business decision, especially when other companies are desperately trying to gain new market share in the MILC world and hemorrhaging money in R&D. But I do feel that it is a departure from the ethos of most image quality/camera for your buck approach that I've associated with Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
This Fuji will be my next purchase once the price settles,almost half the weight of Knew.But will probably get the K-new once its price settles.
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting this Fuji too. Now if only there was a K mount lens to X mount AF adapter...
10-28-2020, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But I do feel that it is a departure from the ethos of most image quality/camera for your buck approach that I've associated with Pentax
Not necessarily. Let's wait for the reviews. The price might be higher then your expectations, but so might be the qualities of the camera also.
10-28-2020, 12:11 AM   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the Pentax site with the full spec sheet they have a drive mode called "Motion Bracketing". Anyone know what that could possibly be as I can't seem to find any references to such a mode online?

10-28-2020, 12:15 AM   #248
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
If you mean without a tripod, then I've been using my K-70 with the motion on selected for years. I brace it steady with my arms/knees in a sitting or kneeling position, or brace up against a handy support of some sort, plus pay attention to breath control........works fine.
Yes I meant without a tripod ("hand-held" and not "hand-help" as I wrote).
I didn't know this feature already existed and I couldn't find it on the spec list of the K-1 / KP / K-70, so I guessed it was something new. Thank you for your answer.
10-28-2020, 12:43 AM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBT Quote
On the Pentax site with the full spec sheet they have a drive mode called "Motion Bracketing". Anyone know what that could possibly be as I can't seem to find any references to such a mode online?
Like an ND simulation? Stacking shots to get movement (like a long exposure on a waterfall)?
10-28-2020, 01:06 AM - 14 Likes   #250
Pentaxian

From the spec sheet Pentax addressed all major complaints of the last years. AF performance, speed-FPS, overall performance and now we wish flippy screens, complain about the possible drop of GNSS receivers, price... The camera looks perfect for photography, the size of the viewfinder is a big feature of differentiation. This camera will increase visibility and attract new users. Pentax cameras are replaced at slow pace, many of the new features will make this camera stand out for many years! DSLR is about the viewfinder, flippy screens are extra. Photography and video don’t go together that well. Concentrate on one thing. Pentax goes for quality and performance which is hard to find these days. For the performance we are getting, price is low or at least adequate. What a perfect camera and I am sure we have not seen everything yet.
10-28-2020, 01:49 AM   #251
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
from the spec sheet pentax addressed all major complaints of the last years. Af performance, speed-fps, overall performance and now we wish flippy screens, complain about the possible drop of gnss receivers, price... The camera looks perfect for photography, the size of the viewfinder is a big feature of differentiation. This camera will increase visibility and attract new users. Pentax cameras are replaced at slow pace, many of the new features will make this camera stand out for many years! Dslr is about the viewfinder, flippy screens are extra. Photography and video don’t go together that well. Concentrate on one thing. Pentax goes for quality and performance which is hard to find these days. For the performance we are getting, price is low or at least adequate. What a perfect camera and i am sure we have not seen everything yet.
you nailed it!!!!!!
10-28-2020, 02:08 AM   #252
Pentaxian

a K mount lens to X mount AF adapter...
Yes,Id like one too.

However, there are plenty of Canon EF/s adapters and there is an abundance of good used Canon glass to adapt.

---------- Post added 10-28-20 at 08:11 PM ----------

Pentax cameras are replaced at slow pace,
Slow?

---------- Post added 10-28-20 at 08:13 PM ----------

Photography and video don’t go together that well.
True for some people but many others appreciate having a high level of both.
10-28-2020, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBT Quote
I speculate:

"DoF-bracketing" = Av bracketing
"Motion bracketing" = Tv bracketing
10-28-2020, 02:38 AM   #254
Veteran Member

They might choose Pentax if they want a DSLR. I have been using mirrorless for some time, and yesterday bought a new Fuji X-T3 (which at £899 I think is better value than the X-S10 for me, particularly with firmware 4.0), but I will not give up my Pentaxes as I prefer the OVF experience. I intend to buy the K-3 III when it come out next year.
10-28-2020, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #255

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those excited about 4k video addition, well it's nice but questionable. I suspect it will be just a basic implementation that comes with the new chip. Spec sheet writes that live view focusing is contrast detect only, probably means no on sensor phase detect technology present. So no advanced stuff for live view shooting. That also could be a reason why they didn't bother to put any kind swivel or vary angle screen. Although I still think that phase detect auto focus during live view would be great for those odd angle shots. No log options could also indicate that devs didn't look much into it, no HLG also indicate that 4k video is only to match spec sheet with last years commons.

Anyway, exciting to see news from Pentax, should be great camera for photography, I miss the ergonomics of Pentax quite a lot. Pentax is slow to introduce things nowadays, but it puts smile and joy on me when I see news from Pentax.
Closed Thread