Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2020, 11:05 AM - 6 Likes   #361
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thing is a flagship(K-3III). It is not ment to be in everyones hands. K-P is. Or lower tier than that K-70? is also great entry level camera.

price is what they (Ricoh) said them selves, to be more than pentax enhusiasts are used to be paying, but it is best aps-c so far and tech inside is what make it to be so. For pentaxians already being at here, and the ones who want OVF, they said(Ricoh) pentax is the brand for you. (they also think that for -some- this 'micl' thing is just passing trend and -some- photographers want to get back to real traditional way of taking photos...as -some- do)

Is it somethign what is not there at the market already? No(and yes)
is it cheap? No(depends)
is it capable camera? yes.
is it's AF really better? remains to be seen, but focus points are way above many with OVF and way much more than we are used to.
Is there good LV focusing? possibility is there
will the image quality(what they did really go for, as usual) be great? remains to be seen, but there should not be any doubt.
Is ergonomic and handling great? Yes.

Is there enough FPS for your bursts to go against anything out there(other camera brands with mechanical shutter to avoid unwanted jelly effect). YES!

SO, what is the problem?

a) Entrylevel milc costs this and that much
b)no flippy
c)4 year old thing is with some pancakes what it is

d) it is not toyota, while we are used to toyotas
(have you compared price of brand new toyotas what they are now and what they were 5 yrs a go?and how much better they last for that price difference)

come on! It is a big, a huge leap forward. This K-3III and new lenses which are coming will do very well in future

10-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Now with Sony making quite the splash with mirrorless, again Canon and Nikon abandon their customer base and force loyal customers to move into their new system.
Canon and Nikon don't care about their users - they care about their bottom line.
They just released the D850 not long ago, D500 and this year D780 with mirrorless features in the live view. I think they'll continue to sell SLR's until that market is totally dried up.
I think we
10-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #363
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I'm sure Pentax is doing what they think they need to do to survive.

It's just a shame that someone looking to move up from a cell phone camera may one day (soon) be looking at $2000 to get into a new Pentax kit, which means most of them won't do it. Fewer good photographers with good kit isn't a good thing.
Everyone will be in that boat. No one is going to keep throwing money at a wall that no longer exists.

---------- Post added Oct 28th, 2020 at 12:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Learn to comprehend better or ask more questions if you don't.

Obviously you're not reading the whole message, are skimming, then coming to your own conclusions. Because I mentioned Lexus in the response to which you're responding, yet you're asking me if I've heard of Lexus.

I never made any claims that it is a mistake for Pentax to go any particular direction. That was your own error that you conflated on your own.

What I said was now that they've given us (on paper thus far but soon a realized product) a truly competitive, modern crop body, they need to work out the rest of the system to match.

How you got 'pentax is making a mistake in doing this' is beyond me. A strawman invented in your mind. I even called the K-3 III 'exciting.'
My friend, you are doing exactly what you are accusing me of doing, and are playing very fast and loose with the truth as well.
Bye.
10-28-2020, 11:41 AM   #364
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield;5103533[COLOR=Silver:
][/COLOR]
My friend, you are doing exactly what you are accusing me of doing, and are playing very fast and loose with the truth as well.
Bye.
No, let's get this straight first. You misunderstood what I said and then you attacked me for comments on something I never said. Now that I point that out you double down by claiming I'm somehow misunderstanding you?

Where did I say Pentax is making a mistake in their path? Quote it. I want to see it, Wheatfield. I don't recall saying that. The onus is on you to show it or retract your false statements towards me.

10-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am intrusively, but politely, responding to those who are starting a useless debate about non-Pentax "things" here and, guess what?
... an administrator will soon have to close this thread.
10-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #366
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I am intrusively, but politely, responding to those who are starting a useless debate about non-Pentax "things" here and, guess what?
I think it will be fine. Wheatfield will run a word search on 'mistake' in this thread, see I never used that term thus couldn't have said the offensive thing he claims I said and this discussion will be over.

It's frustrating to come into a discussion and then be attacked personally for things I never said. We were having a decent convo around the table until then.
10-28-2020, 11:58 AM - 4 Likes   #367
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 'COVID-Blues'.

Cabin Fever.

People read written word out of context for how the writer wrote it (usually taken to the maximum negative tone possible).

It's sorta like road rage...

Most people are very nice if you talk to them face-to-face.

...but when trapped in one's own head too long, everyone seems too be attacking.

My experience, anyway.

10-28-2020, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sony IMX571, already used by Fujifilm in their X-T3, X-T30, X-Pro3, X100V, X-T4 and X-S10.
It's cool that it is a BSI sensor but I'm wondering whether it always comes with on-sensor PDAF.

If so, it might exhibit the striping/banding known from Sony sensors with OSPDAF.
Hopefully Ricoh are using a variant that does not have the respective masks on the sensor.
10-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #369
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It's cool that it is a BSI sensor but I'm wondering whether it always comes with on-sensor PDAF.

If so, it might exhibit the striping/banding known from Sony sensors with OSPDAF.
Hopefully Ricoh are using a variant that does not have the respective masks on the sensor.
Doesn't that normally happen with the electronic shutter but not mechanical shutter? My knowledge of this is limited so I'm wondering if it will be a factor
10-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Understandable, but given that Sony clearly states on the product manual for the sensor "In addition, individual specification change cannot be supported because this is a standard product" I wouldn't think that Pentax would have the money to throw around to tell Sony to customize their production line.

It's likely for this reason that we see the same amount of OSPDAF points on many different tiers of Fuji bodies despite their huge price variation. The difference in their AF performance is therefore down to additional computational power leading to better scene recognition and better algorithms.

Given that, if the OSPDAF points are already there, I hope Pentax uses them.
10-28-2020, 12:46 PM - 8 Likes   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting conversation with lots of perspectives.

I am quite excited about the K-3 Mark III. Although the new viewfinder 'experience' and other physical or ergonomic attributes might not appear to be a big deal on the spec sheet, I wouldn't underestimate their significance. Indeed, Ricoh Imaging has been emphasizing the new optical viewfinder throughout their recent information videos and articles. And their guest photographer in one of the videos certainly seemed entranced when he looked through the VF. Combined with the impressive specifications, the K-3 III promises to offer an exciting new camera.

Which brings me to another thought. I have been enjoying the videos and articles. I like their style, low-key approach, and charm. In the most recent video, it's the President of Ricoh Imaging, Shinobu Takahashi, front and centre, offering a straightforward articulation of development status, the new features, and an apology for the "unexpected delay" that they're experiencing. Although I'm not easily induced by glamorous promotional marketing, I also enjoyed the introductory segment (the "Brand Vision") featuring the two outdoorsy types.

The introduction of the K3 III specifications was sure to attract comparisons to other brands and camera models. There are many fine cameras and systems, each with its strengths and weaknesses. I think it's unfair to draw conclusions on the basis of one or a few specific features or numbers, especially when the K-3 III has not yet been released.

Finally, a tangential point -- as winter approaches here, I'm reminded of how easy it is to operate my K-3 II while wearing gloves.

- Craig
10-28-2020, 01:15 PM - 7 Likes   #372
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The thread will be fine, just much more civil now with two members sent to their corners. This is a great discussion but bickering will not be tolerated, especially after being warned. We're all on the same side, right?

Everyone carry on, just respect each other.
10-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
We're all on the same side, right?
Ah, yes, absolutely. All on the same side.
*Glances to the half-built barricade and covers it up. (kidding, kidding )

Aaaaaanyway. So, do we know if previous Sony sensors also said they couldn't be customized? Because Pentax was doing the "no OSPDAF" thing back then on sensors that had the mask on for other cameras... that "no custom units" rule might not apply to the sensor masking - it's not part of the wafer after all, maybe what they meant is that the converters and amplifiers of the circuitry cannot be adjusted?
10-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #374
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Everyone carry on, just respect each other.
You're doing a great job gatorguy ! Thx
10-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #375
Pentaxian

Why are people talking as if they know what sensor is being used? Has that been revealed? I can't find any info.

If the K33 is priced north of the X-T4 and D500 I guess it's probably better in some respects. Can't imagine Pentax beating D500 AF but I'd love to see it (even if I'd never take advantage of it myself) I also can't imagine Pentax beating the X-T4 as a hybrid camera, or AF for that matter.

All things considered I'd imagine it's more likely that the AF is that good than than they've sorted out video with all that entails. I think Pentax needed to do this body regardless of price to make sure there is tech that can trickle down to lesser models. It's likely that dslrs won't improve at the pace of milcs as the tech is beginning to plateau. That's probably why they did the KP a sort of realisation that they can't rely on sensor upgrades forever.
Closed Thread