Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2020, 11:15 PM   #406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Genuine question, as I don’t know the answer.
Your brother knows,ask him,he is right there!

10-28-2020, 11:17 PM - 2 Likes   #407
Veteran Member

mmm... after readimg all posts in this thread..... and then completing an extensive internet search.... I think I have made one significant decision.... I too would not kick Candice Swanepoel out of bed after just one "wind indiscretion".
10-28-2020, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Your brother knows,ask him,he is right there!
I take it that means you don’t know either.
10-29-2020, 12:38 AM   #409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Those figures are just magnification values, though. Did they also improve the light transmission, to offset the reduction in luminosity? Genuine question, as I don’t know the answer.
No clue - the 7Dii I handled once and it felt similar to the K-7 in luminosity, but without side-by-side comparison it's hard to say. I have never held a D500.

---------- Post added 10-29-20 at 12:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Yeah of course the layers on top can be changed. But given that on sensor PDAF is "on sensor" and the discussion about the sensor IQ coming off the K-3/3, its reasonable to assume without new information that the sensor is unlikely changed and the on sensor PDAF points are still there.

There are indications that some Sony sensors are using a 2x2 microlens design which effectively makes every pixel capable of PDAF and hence solves the banding and loss of IQ issues with older OSPDAF, but that tech is currently applied to mobile based chips and there's no specific mention of this with regards to this specific sensor as so far.
"On sensor" means that the PDAF is measured by the sensor, but it's a mask applied on top of the sensor proper. Not part of the wafer itself.

10-29-2020, 12:46 AM - 2 Likes   #410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Then you would appreciate the strengths of other brands outside of Pentax for their contributions in the art of photography I'm sure.
No: brands don’t make photographs, people do. Whether I buy the K-new, Nikon Zwhatever, Sony, Zeiss etc, they’re just paperweights unless someone uses them. So enjoy the gear, I’ll enjoy the results instead - without caring what they were made with.
10-29-2020, 01:33 AM   #411
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Doesn't that normally happen with the electronic shutter but not mechanical shutter?
No, the striping/banding issues are occurring independently of the shutter type.
10-29-2020, 01:35 AM   #412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
No phase detection in live view mode, it seems.
I noticed that but it doesn't 100% rule out that the sensor would be able to perform PDAF.

Let's hope the sensor will be lacking OSPDAF.

10-29-2020, 01:52 AM   #413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

It is 26Mp APS-C, that's in the list of specifications.

Sony make such a sensor and it's in the Fuji XT-3, XT-4, house.
I wasn't aware that the 26mp datapoint was enough to determine what sensor it is. But if it's certain that there's only one 26mp sensor available it can only be that one. I have no connections in the sensor business nor do I follow leaks and such in that field so I didn't know.

Pentax strategy seems to be to wait a few years and use the best sensors a few years after other brands come out with their models. Just another thing suggesting it might be the Fuji sensor.
10-29-2020, 02:21 AM   #414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I wasn't aware that the 26mp datapoint was enough to determine what sensor it is. But if it's certain that there's only one 26mp sensor available it can only be that one. I have no connections in the sensor business nor do I follow leaks and such in that field so I didn't know.

Pentax strategy seems to be to wait a few years and use the best sensors a few years after other brands come out with their models. Just another thing suggesting it might be the Fuji sensor.
I *think* there are two off the shelf sensors that fit the bill... one is BSI, the other FSI if memory serves right. I'd have to double check.
10-29-2020, 02:40 AM - 3 Likes   #415
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I noticed that but it doesn't 100% rule out that the sensor would be able to perform PDAF.

Indeed, it can be used wrong and acceptably. Nikon does the former and Sony accomplishes the latter. Nikon Z-series have nasty problems in high DR scenes were one wants to lift the shadows. Sony, on the other hand, is the other way around - banding is rarely seen in the highlights part of the image.

Here is a sample from my (now sold) Z6:

That is part of a nighttime exposure @ ISO100 where the foreground is pushed few stops. Another, slight banding in the sky-region:

Banding vanishes as the ISO is upped enough due to higher noise.
10-29-2020, 02:43 AM   #416
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

I agree. There is no particular point in investing in a top end PDAF through the viewfinder system and then getting a sensor with PDAF on the sensor. But doesn't the K-70 have the option to use PDAF on the sensor when in live view? I thought I had read that in the past.

I'm guessing that Sony will tweak their sensors to your desired specifications, if you are willing to pay the price.
10-29-2020, 02:55 AM   #417
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I agree. There is no particular point in investing in a top end PDAF through the viewfinder system and then getting a sensor with PDAF on the sensor. But doesn't the K-70 have the option to use PDAF on the sensor when in live view? I thought I had read that in the past.

I'm guessing that Sony will tweak their sensors to your desired specifications, if you are willing to pay the price.
Yes, the K-70 uses the OSPDAF version of the sensor:

Pentax K-70 Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews
10-29-2020, 02:57 AM - 2 Likes   #418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

If you want a hybrid camera that does good AF during video then one could argue that it's needed, but with all the talk of an OVF-centric camera and having a fixed screen, OSPDAF would just be reducing the IQ for no real gain.
10-29-2020, 03:00 AM   #419
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
If you want a hybrid camera that does good AF during video then one could argue that it's needed, but with all the talk of an OVF-centric camera and having a fixed screen, OSPDAF would just be reducing the IQ for no real gain.
Maybe so. I would just be happy if Pentax enabled focus peaking during video operation. I've never liked auto focus during video very much (and I don't think the K-70 can use the PDAF points during video operation, only before).
10-29-2020, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The KP already has DOF bracketing, Steve.
Hiya Ian, but can it take a crappy snappy like I do, in jest but this forthcoming K3iii has been seriously dissected already by most here haha not much to say, I am waiting for an updated K1iii, to take more crappy snaps, jeez this is fun, abated breath I am, hope you don't mind my nonsense, Ian
Closed Thread