Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #436
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm not sure you're correct, someasiancameraguy. I think a pixel is a pixel on that sensor, it's just how it's masked/wired, if it does focus or part of the imaging or nothing at all (as they may be at the edges with IBIS).

For instance, if what you're saying was true, PDAF pixels are somehow baked into the sensor, the K-3 would have to have 117 focus points like the Fuji XT-3, there can be no other possible configuration.
Even I don't think what I'm saying is absolutely true, but without insider level of technical knowledge we will have no idea how much customization Sony allows. Other forum members here are correct that OSPDAF is a layer on top (specifically the microlens + support logic substrate), but when we look at camera models that share a common sensor we see a pattern:

Fuji: XT3 / XT4/ XT-30 / to be released X-S10 - all 425 PDAF points

I then dug around a bit more to try to figure what's going on. Then I saw that the entire refresh of the Sony a6000 series (6100/6400/6600), as well as the previous flagship (6300) all had 425 PDAF points too. Entry grade models (6000, 6200) used the same sensor, but had less PDAF points (179). The models with fewer PDAF points are interesting to note, and we can try to make a few guesses:

1. Customization of the PDAF is possible, and gives hope to the forum members here who don't want the OSPDAF points.
2. The PDAF module is likely an off the shelf component.
3. Despite the different m.pix between sensors necessitating different microlens structures, some of the PDAF logic/firmware seems to be adaptable, and hence the same number of PDAF points in different m.pix bodies between Sony and Fuji. This gives hope to the forum members who want a more video/hybrid friendly Pentax body (whether in K-3 or another body) as the basic logic given from Sony will already be mature.
4. Sony is likely bundling the sensor and PDAF modules together when sold. For Pentax to replace the PDAF microlens structure with a standard arrangement it would likely have to pay extra for customization and tooling, which might help explain the high price of the new aps-c

10-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You know, Nikon always claims to have a special sensor in their cameras. I am guessing that Sony does small tweaks to the sensors as per the purchasers request. That doesn't really mean that there is a huge difference in performance between, say a K5 and a D7000.

I guess just a little comment as to the staying power of different ILC brands. My guess is that most of them will stick around, except for Olympus and Sigma.

That said, I would be suprised if the majority of them don't do a lot of streamlining in the coming couple of years. Lower level SLRs are already pretty much history. But even in the MILC marketplace, odds are good that Sony, Canon and Nikon will all need to cut down the number of different models they offer. There just doesn't seem to be enough difference between the models to warrant the number that each brand has currently.

The ILC market has shrunk a bunch and this year it will be worse. If you can sell three models and get the same number of sales you would with seven models, there is no reason to have the higher number.
In the flyer for the IMX 571 Sony say "Individual specification change cannot be supported because this is a standard product". I tried to find a full datasheet but couldn't find anything.

10-29-2020, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #438
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
In the flyer for the IMX 571 Sony say "Individual specification change cannot be supported because this is a standard product". I tried to find a full datasheet but couldn't find anything.
Maybe Pentax is using IMX571b instead?
10-29-2020, 10:07 AM - 3 Likes   #439
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yawn, just thought I'd let you know, I've been following along, but I have nothing to say....

If nobody posts a comment, that will be me.

10-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #440
Veteran Member

How many of you are for sure going to pick up the K3-iii?

If it's near D-500 I'll pick one up and keep my Pentax gear as my "SLR". I'm probably going to get a Z6ii or R5 with a travel zoom to replace my OMD gear for fitting in my carryon. I don't like traveling with checked bags. That will eventually end up being a complete system to replace my D750 and OMD gear.

If they pull off the K-3iii then Pentax will get me with the SLR for life declaration because I do enjoy a OVF and that future is uncertain in the long run for whomever survives the mirrorless competition. Maybe they build it maybe not. At least Pentax is all in and focused only on it. The refresh cycles will surely be long but that's fine if they can make enough profit to exist.
10-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #441
Pentaxian

You know, Nikon always claims to have a special sensor in their cameras. I am guessing that Sony does small tweaks to the sensors as per the purchasers request. That doesn't really mean that there is a huge difference in performance between, say a K5 and a D7000.
Keep in mind that Nikon has sometimes had its own sensors made to specifications that were similar to Sony's, but the manufacturer in that case often was Renesas. In addition to that, they have a Toshiba sensor in the D7200 if memory serves. In that sense, Pentax has been far more "faithful" to Sony in recent, post-Samsung years than Nikon has.

I guess just a little comment as to the staying power of different ILC brands. My guess is that most of them will stick around, except for Olympus and Sigma.
IMO, Sigma is one of the two most powerful companies in the industry as they do the lens calculations for many of the others. Sony and Sigma will have no problem sticking around because they're so system-critical for everybody else.

---------- Post added 10-29-20 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Even I don't think what I'm saying is absolutely true, but without insider level of technical knowledge we will have no idea how much customization Sony allows. Other forum members here are correct that OSPDAF is a layer on top (specifically the microlens + support logic substrate), but when we look at camera models that share a common sensor we see a pattern:

Fuji: XT3 / XT4/ XT-30 / to be released X-S10 - all 425 PDAF points
Those are just a software abstraction - Fujifilm (and others) bins lots of actual sensels into what I would call OSPDAF "fields". If I'm doing my maths right, in any of the cameras you've named, a field would contain at least 1,000 actual OSPDAF sensels. It's also possible that the fields are not mutually exclusive, and rather overlap.
10-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #442
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
IMO, Sigma is one of the two most powerful companies in the industry as they do the lens calculations for many of the others. Sony and Sigma will have no problem sticking around because they're so system-critical for everybody else.
I haven't but anything but used Sigma lens since my 8-16, now eclipsed by the AD* 11-18. For my own collection the weight and cost advantage of the DFA 100 macro has made the Sigma 70 Macro an outlier, My original 70-330 was absolutely destroyed by the DA 55-300 in terms of use weight and quality. The only Sigma I currently use at all would be a second Han 24 macro, and when the 21ltd. comes out that will probably be the end of that. Long term, I'm not sure Sigma is needed by anyone. Especially since the IQ between their 150-600 type lenses really sin't any higher than the 150-450 in many tests. And would anyone in their right mind buy Sigma offerings in 50mm, 70-200, or 85mm given the current offerings from Pentax?

Darn, sucked in again.

10-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #443
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote

If it's near D-500 I'll pick one up and keep my Pentax gear as my "SLR". I'm probably going to get a Z6ii or R5 with a travel zoom to replace my OMD gear for fitting in my carryon. I don't like traveling with checked bags. That will eventually end up being a complete system to replace my D750 and OMD gear.

If they pull off the K-3iii then Pentax will get me with the SLR for life declaration because I do enjoy a OVF and that future is uncertain in the long run for whomever survives the mirrorless competition. Maybe they build it maybe not. At least Pentax is all in and focused only on it. The refresh cycles will surely be long but that's fine if they can make enough profit to exist.
Do you also want to know for certain that one will not purchase one?
I am perfectly happy with my KP and have no intention of getting another body right now,
10-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My requirements are good tracking autofocus, higher frame rate, quicker buffer clearing, and at least KP levels of high ISO performance.

If the early reviews say that the autofocus is leaps and bounds ahead of the K-3ii I'll probably pre-order. If they're kind of on the fence I might wait a little longer.
10-29-2020, 10:36 AM   #445
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Hm. Sigma is mostly just the gap filler for the cheapos. Those are the Not-target-group for today as numbers are dwindling.

Large swaths of photographers currently go Nikon or Canon. In Japan around 50%.

And these makers leave Sigma locked out currently, so their plastic lenses are both superflous and at risk.
10-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I haven't but anything but used Sigma lens since my 8-16, now eclipsed by the AD* 11-18. For my own collection the weight and cost advantage of the DFA 100 macro has made the Sigma 70 Macro an outlier, My original 70-330 was absolutely destroyed by the DA 55-300 in terms of use weight and quality. The only Sigma I currently use at all would be a second Han 24 macro, and when the 21ltd. comes out that will probably be the end of that. Long term, I'm not sure Sigma is needed by anyone. Especially since the IQ between their 150-600 type lenses really sin't any higher than the 150-450 in many tests. And would anyone in their right mind buy Sigma offerings in 50mm, 70-200, or 85mm given the current offerings from Pentax?

Darn, sucked in again.
I think the Sigma 150-600 either C or Sport for Pentax for the WR, or the Tamron G2 version of their 150-600 would probably sell to many Pentax users if it was in K mount. I have the 150-600 Sigma and it's a good lens. I'm sure the Pentax 150-450 is good as well but the extra reach wouldn't hurt. When I researched them they all seemed to get basically similar results so I just went with the less expensive Sigma having had good experiences with my Pentax 8-16 and 18-250 travel lens.

It would be pretty nice to have a Pentax 150-600 Tamron G2 with more weather sealing and a nice fast motor to go with that new K3 iii that's coming Norm, you know you'd be tempted.

---------- Post added 10-29-2020 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do you also want to know for certain that one will not purchase one?
I am perfectly happy with my KP and have no intention of getting another body right now,
KP is still so good with images unless you needed the AF it wouldn't make much sense.
10-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #447
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Hm. Sigma is mostly just the gap filler for the cheapos. Those are the Not-target-group for today as numbers are dwindling.

And these makers leave Sigma locked out currently, so their plastic lenses are both superflous and at risk.
Sigma does fill in the 'gaps' left by the larger camera makers, considering either focal lengths or price.

When I got a rectilinear Sigma 10-20mm lens, Canon offered nothing similar, and it was the one lens I missed when I came to Pentax, until I discovered that Sigma made the same lens in K-mount.
10-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #448
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My requirements are good tracking autofocus, higher frame rate, quicker buffer clearing, and at least KP levels of high ISO performance.

If the early reviews say that the autofocus is leaps and bounds ahead of the K-3ii I'll probably pre-order. If they're kind of on the fence I might wait a little longer.
If they get to where the D-750 is it's going to be a solid AF system and good enough tbh. I'm betting the FPS and buffer will probably be near class leading or class leading for DSLR. I'm not sure they can get much more ISO out of an APS-C sensor at this point beyond the KP, maybe. It would be nice to see 14.5 stops of DR though.

---------- Post added 10-29-2020 at 10:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote

Sigma and Tamron both make some very nice lenses at the moment. They did make cheapos in the past but they seem to have upped their game.

Mine still have better motors than my DA* lenses, even the 18-250 which is much faster than my 60-250.

As for cameras, they still sell them?
10-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #449
Pentaxian

I'm not sure they can get much more ISO out of an APS-C sensor at this point beyond the KP, maybe. It would be nice to see 14.5 stops of DR though.
They don't have to beat the KP's high ISO performance.
From what I have seen in discussions here, many members are unaware of it, so simply duplicating it plus the new viewfinder, plus the new LCD plus a K-3 class buffer plus a D-Li90 plus a top-side LCD plus two SD cards plus great focusing will sell lots of them.
10-29-2020, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They don't have to beat the KP's high ISO performance.
From what I have seen in discussions here, many members are unaware of it, so simply duplicating it plus the new viewfinder, plus the new LCD plus a K-3 class buffer plus a D-Li90 plus a top-side LCD plus two SD cards plus great focusing will sell lots of them.
Yeah Id be happy with the KP's sensor in a faster K3 body, that works for me. If they get some more DR that would be very nice too.

I've been pretty happy with ISO on my Pentax's since the K-5 tbh.
Closed Thread