Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #736
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Back on topic please. Not the proper venue for debating operating systems.
Thank you. Patience (when waiting for more info on the new K3-iii) isn’t the only virtue

11-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #737

Photos: Gallery
Outch! Was about to buy a Sony OLED, but honestly for similar prices I now must wait until February because this camera seems like the lifetime compagnon I've always dreamed of. Nice promo video ; )
11-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #738
Forum Member

I use all my dslr from Pentax with the O-ME53 viewfinding loupe. I hope that it will also magnify the image of the K3-III. Otherwise there would be no bigger image as I already see.
11-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #739
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
I use all my dslr from Pentax with the O-ME53 viewfinding loupe. I hope that it will also magnify the image of the K3-III. Otherwise there would be no bigger image as I already see.
I plan shot with my unaided eyes in most cases.
I use the viewfinder only for shooting, when I need see only my marks.

11-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
It will. I use the O-ME53 on the K-1, which is the same size as the K-33 and it certainly magnifies the OVF.
11-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #741
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It will. I use the O-ME53 on the K-1, which is the same size as the K-33 and it certainly magnifies the OVF.
Same with me, using it on the K1 and one of my K-70's.

The only downside is I tend to compose high with the O-ME53, differently than on the K-70 without it. I'm assuming it's just the way I put my eye to the OVF so I just have to keep it in mind on the other body.
11-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #742
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
307k is 640x480 btw. So the "meter" is getting nonstop subject details like this while the mirror is down: https://www.bayern.by/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/naturpark-altmuehltal-wacho...00-640x480.jpg
You could do quite something with that wealth of inofrmation.
Perhaps they have made more that ’just’ that new 101 focuspoint thing and really honed up that use of RGB and taught it to see ’the tones’ and or there is another advantage waiting. If I remember correctly, At some point they did mention that old safox even if it had 186K(or something like that) it could not really make advantage of it. Tech was the Bottle neck. That was one of the reasons they did begin total rewirk of AF system. And that is what that new safox13 now is.

11-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #743
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fast and accurate lens mechanism must follow AF system. I do wonder if screwdriver lenses will be able to get most of new AF system. PLM would be most likely a bliss to work with on new K-3, but screwdriver?

Though I think 16-50 and 55-300 PLMs cover most needs. I still would not mind some PLM primes.
11-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #744
Pentaxian

^ I think the screwdrives will perform a bit better & will probably be a bit more accurate in AF.S, but I have a feeling that they'll be too slow for AF.C. That will definitely require a fast PLM, DC, or newer AF lens motor. Some updated primes with weather sealing & silent motors would be nice.
11-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #745
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ I think the screwdrives will perform a bit better & will probably be a bit more accurate in AF.S, but I have a feeling that they'll be too slow for AF.C. That will definitely require a fast PLM, DC, or newer AF lens motor. Some updated primes with weather sealing & silent motors would be nice.
It's not a problem with the speed, it's a problem with the accuracy in AF.c. The screwdrive can be made fast by shortening the focus throw, but that means the turning of the screw has to be minimal to adjust finely, and there's a lot of reversing movement going on. A ring-type or linear electronic motor can be far more accurate.

I just checked my Tokina 70-210/4.5 - Bringing the lens from infinity to 7 meters is equivalent to one turn of the screw. On the closer end, it goes from 1.5 m (MFD) to 1.7 meters. It's no wonder the lens cannot quite keep up.
11-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #746
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
"Seems" is the operative keyword here.

It cannot really improve colour fidelity because it has no idea what the original colour was.
In the lab industry we looked at fidelity as colour to colour fidelity.

When I started in the lab industry in 1978, a quality control guy outright said "We can get one colour right, pick which one you want."
Colour back then was still getting the bugs worked out of it.

Fidelity meant being able to pick one colour and having the rest of them come out correct as well.

We are, I think a lot closer to great fidelity now than I was ever able to achieve with chemical photography.

PS:

---------- Post added Nov 3rd, 2020 at 04:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
In the lab industry we looked at fidelity as colour to colour fidelity.

When I started in the lab industry in 1978, a quality control guy outright said "We can get one colour right, pick which one you want."
Colour back then was still getting the bugs worked out of it.

Fidelity meant being able to pick one colour and having the rest of them come out correct as well.

We are, I think a lot closer to great fidelity now than I was ever able to achieve with chemical photography.
PS: Thanks for letting me post again.

---------- Post added Nov 3rd, 2020 at 05:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Fast and accurate lens mechanism must follow AF system. I do wonder if screwdriver lenses will be able to get most of new AF system. PLM would be most likely a bliss to work with on new K-3, but screwdriver?

Though I think 16-50 and 55-300 PLMs cover most needs. I still would not mind some PLM primes.
Screw drive has its limits. They can only be accelerated so much before there is damage done to the gears and whatnot. I expect present cameras have pretty much topped out screwdrive speeds.
This is what the new AF motors in the recent 50mm and 85mm are about.
The brag is gobs of torque from the motors. That should translate into quicker AF as faster acceleration is possible.
11-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #747
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Perhaps they have made more that ’just’ that new 101 focuspoint thing and really honed up that use of RGB and taught it to see ’the tones’ and or there is another advantage waiting. If I remember correctly, At some point they did mention that old safox even if it had 186K(or something like that) it could not really make advantage of it. Tech was the Bottle neck. That was one of the reasons they did begin total rewirk of AF system. And that is what that new safox13 now is.
It was one of my assumption when I read the patent. the sensor used for the autofocus was the same as the metering. The 307K pixels could justify the it, even more the patent talks about RGB and IR band

QuoteQuote:
Focus detection processing is performed based on the focus detection pixel signal output from the focus detection pixel provided in each photoelectric conversion layer of the imaging element in which a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers that transmit light in different wavelength ranges are laminated. In the focus detection device, selection of the focus detection pixel signal or each photoelectric conversion so as to suppress the focus detection error based on
the comparison of the pixel signal levels output from the plurality of photoelectric conversion layers or the difference in the pixel signal levels. Focus detection of a layer A focus detection device characterized by adjusting a pixel signal.
In the case of an image pickup device in which one or more photoelectric conversion layers are laminated, the imaging position differs depending on the subject due to the chromatic aberration of the photographing lens due to the influence of the spectral reflectance of the subject, the spectral characteristics of the illumination light, etc., and the focus detection There will be an error.[0007]
Therefore, it is required to accurately detect the focus by using an image sensor provided with a photoelectric conversion layer regardless of the color of the subject, the illumination light, and the like.[Means for solving problems]
[0008]
The image pickup device of the present invention is an image pickup device in which a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers that photoelectrically convert light in different wavelength ranges are laminated, and a focus detection pixel signal output from focus detection pixels provided in each photoelectric conversion layer. A focus detection unit that executes a focus detection process is provided based on the above. Each photoelectric conversion layer selectively absorbs light in a predetermined wavelength range and transmits light in other wavelength ranges to perform color separation. Further, the photoelectric conversion layer can provide at least one pair of focus detection pixels provided with a light-shielding film at symmetrical positions to perform focus detection by a phase difference method.[0009]
In the present invention, the focus detection unit selects the focus detection pixel signal or adjusts the focus detection pixel signal so as to suppress the focus detection error based on the difference in the pixel signal levels output from the plurality of photoelectric conversion layers. Here, "selection" means selecting at least one focus detection pixel signal, that is, selecting a photoelectric conversion layer provided with focus detection pixels. Further, "adjustment" means adjusting the output level of the focus detection pixel signal of each photoelectric conversion layer.[0010]
For example, the focus detection unit can perform the focus detection process by using the focus detection pixels of the photoelectric conversion layer that outputs the largest pixel signal among the plurality of photoelectric conversion layers. Further, the focus detection unit can weight the pixel signals of each photoelectric conversion layer according to the ratio or ratio of the pixel signal levels in the plurality of photoelectric conversion layers.[0011]
It is preferable that the plurality of photoelectric conversion layers are laminated in the order of the photoelectric conversion layer having a short photoelectric conversion wavelength range to the photoelectric conversion layer having a long photoelectric conversion wavelength range along the optical path. For example, a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers include a photoelectric conversion layer that photoelectrically converts light according to B, a photoelectric conversion layer that photoelectrically converts light according to G, and a photoelectric conversion layer that photoelectrically converts light according to R. Can be arranged in this order from the incident side. Further, the photoelectric conversion layer that photoelectrically converts light according to IR can be arranged closest to the substrate.[0012]
In order to support various distance measuring methods, it is preferable that each photoelectric conversion layer is provided with focus detection pixels in each of a plurality of divided distance measuring areas defined according to the distance measuring points of the imaging area. The focus detection unit can select the focus detection pixel signal or adjust the focus detection pixel signal for the target divided ranging area.[0013]
The program in another aspect of the present invention outputs an imaging device from focus detection pixels provided in each photoelectric conversion layer of an imaging element in which a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers for photoelectric conversion of light in different wavelength ranges are laminated. Selection of the focus detection pixel signal or focus detection pixel so as to suppress the focus detection error based on the difference between the means for detecting the level of the focus detection pixel signal and the pixel signal levels output from the plurality of photoelectric conversion layers. It functions as a means for adjusting the signal.[0014]
The focus detection device according to another aspect of the present invention is a focus output from focus detection pixels provided in each photoelectric conversion layer of an image pickup device in which a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers that transmit light in different wavelength ranges are laminated. A focus detection device that performs focus detection processing based on a detection pixel signal, and is a focus detection pixel signal so as to suppress a focus detection error based on a difference in pixel signal levels output from a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers. Select or adjust the focus detection pixel signal.[0015]
The focus detection method in another aspect of the present invention is output from focus detection pixels provided in each photoelectric conversion layer of an image pickup device in which a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers for photoelectric conversion of light in different wavelength ranges are laminated. A focus detection method that performs focus detection processing based on a focus detection pixel signal, and a focus detection pixel signal so as to suppress a focus detection error based on a difference in pixel signal levels output from a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers. Or the focus detection pixel signal is selected.[0016]
The image pickup device according to another aspect of the present invention comprises a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers on a substrate that photoelectrically convert light in different wavelength regions, and a pixel signal readout circuit that reads pixel signals from the plurality of photoelectric conversion layers. A plurality of photoelectric conversion layers are laminated, and each photoelectric conversion layer has a focus detection pixel.[0017]
The image pickup apparatus according to another aspect of the present invention has an imaging element in which a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers for photoelectric conversion of light in different wavelength ranges are laminated, and light in the shortest wavelength range among the plurality of photoelectric conversion layers is photoelectrically converted. Focus detection unit that executes focus detection processing based on the focus detection pixel signal output from the focus detection pixels provided in the photoelectric conversion layer and the photoelectric conversion layer other than the photoelectric conversion layer that photoelectrically converts light in the longest wavelength range. And. As a result, it is possible to prevent the amount of focus detection error from becoming significantly large even for the colors of various subjects. For example, the focus detection pixel may be provided only in the photoelectric conversion layer that photoelectrically converts light corresponding to G (or light close to it).[0018]
The image pickup device according to another aspect of the present invention comprises a plurality of photoelectric conversion layers on a substrate that photoelectrically convert light in different wavelength regions, and a pixel signal readout circuit that reads pixel signals from the plurality of photoelectric conversion layers. A plurality of photoelectric conversion layers are laminated, and the plurality of photoelectric conversion layers are photoelectric conversion layers other than the photoelectric conversion layer that photoelectrically converts light in the shortest wavelength range and the photoelectric conversion layer that photoelectrically converts light in the longest wavelength range. It is provided with a photoelectric conversion layer provided with focus detection pixels.

The execution of steps S201 to S205 is the same as the execution of steps S101 to S105 of FIG . When the average output value of the pixel signal of the photoelectric conversion layer 62R corresponding to R is the largest, the focus detection pixel provided in the photoelectric conversion layer 62R is selected and AF processing is executed (S206, S207). On the other hand, when the average output value of the pixel signal of the photoelectric conversion layer 62IR corresponding to IR is the largest, the focus detection pixel provided in the photoelectric conversion layer 62IR is selected and AF processing is executed (S206, S208).
[0055]
The execution of steps S201 to S205 is the same as the execution of steps S101 to S105 of FIG . When the average output value of the pixel signal of the photoelectric conversion layer 62R corresponding to R is the largest, the focus detection pixel provided in the photoelectric conversion layer 62R is selected and AF processing is executed (S206, S207). On the other hand, when the average output value of the pixel signal of the photoelectric conversion layer 62IR corresponding to IR is the largest, the focus detection pixel provided in the photoelectric conversion layer 62IR is selected and AF processing is executed (S206, S208).
[0056]
By further stacking the silicon photodiodes in this way, the influence of chromatic aberration can be suppressed even for a subject having a color close to near infrared light.
When I read almost all the patent, it was an atomic bomb for me. The K3 II is capable of focusing even close to IR, not only in RGB!

I don't know whether they can change the position of cross-type point or it's fixed by the layers on the sensor.

Last edited by bencoskater; 11-03-2020 at 07:44 PM.
11-04-2020, 02:17 AM - 2 Likes   #748
Forum Member

Ok I'm beating a dead horse here but being that all current production Pentax DSLR have some type of adjustable rear screen I just can't wrap my head around why they wouldn't put one on their flag ship camera.
11-04-2020, 02:53 AM   #749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
Ok I'm beating a dead horse here but being that all current production Pentax DSLR have some type of adjustable rear screen I just can't wrap my head around why they wouldn't put one on their flag ship camera.
Yes, you are. The only logical reasons I can see are concerned with size, weight and cost. Frankly, having had three cameras with a variety of movable screens, including the K-1, I would have preferred one, but I could live without it if the phone connection option works well (it worked for me with the K-3 and FLUcard). The only deal-breaker for me at this stage is if they don’t include an internal GPS module. It’s obviously going to be a great camera in all other respects.
11-04-2020, 03:09 AM   #750
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Yes, you are. The only logical reasons I can see are concerned with size, weight and cost. Frankly, having had three cameras with a variety of movable screens, including the K-1, I would have preferred one, but I could live without it if the phone connection option works well (it worked for me with the K-3 and FLUcard). The only deal-breaker for me at this stage is if they don’t include an internal GPS module. It’s obviously going to be a great camera in all other respects.
I don't use the GPS on my K-3II often as I don't do astro photography. However, when I went to France last year, I should've used it as it would indicate the place that I took my photos. It would've been a great help in my documentation.
Closed Thread