Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #781
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I hope that's not the Vasa, the famous flagship of the Swedish Navy... wait, it cannot be, said flagship capsized before reaching open sea
As I recall it from a visit to the Vasa museum in Stockholm, when the Vasa sank, it went keel-first down into the mud, so that everything below the top deck was well-preserved, even the contents. Not the sort of weather-proofing we want in a flagship camera, of course.

11-04-2020, 04:56 PM - 3 Likes   #782

I rented an X-T4 for a long weekend and took it with me on over 20 miles of hiking trails. This was my first experience with remote geotagging (well, MILC too) as I tested BT and the Fujifilm Camera Remote app on my hikes. When the phone and the camera were in sync everything worked as it should, but the connection was unreliable. Even with the phone in my shirt pocket, BT connectivity would sometimes drop off and it would take at least a several seconds for the XT-4 to reconnect. Location sync would mysteriously drop off even though the BT connection stayed on. I have a (bad?) habit of turning off a camera when not in use and not relying on any power saver modes. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that turning the camera off was a real gamble because while the devices would usually reconnect within 30 seconds, location/time sync was dicey and several times I had to restart some mysterious combination of the app, BT, and/or location to obtain the signal. If I wasn't paying attention I'd take several photos before I realized I was not storing the latest coordinates. Always having to babysit my BT/location connection while trying to take photos and being tethered to my phone was a habit I struggled to form and while I eventually did, it was cumbersome and frustrating. Was it worth it? I have always wanted geotagged photos for my hikes so yes, it was.

But, I must say, I longed for the Pentax in-body solution all weekend and it frustrated me to no end thinking that the K-33 may not have this feature. IMO, in-body GPS is quintessentially Pentax, like weather-sealing and IBIS was back in the early DSLR days. My comments in no way assume that remote geotagging will be the same or worse with Ricoh. If Ricoh somehow improves the experience I will keep an open mind, but having to babysit two devices to geotag feels like an unnecessary step backward. All disclaimers aside about this being my personal opinion and that not everyone cares about GPS and on and on, I think the absence of this feature is a mistake on a high-end Pentax camera, "action-oriented" or not.
11-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #783
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This ... is a flagship!
I thought that ship had sailed on about page 3.
11-04-2020, 06:05 PM - 3 Likes   #784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I thought that ship had sailed on about page 3.
Page 3 used to be popular for its salient points.

11-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #785
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Lifted K-1 off a table, began to turn, strap snagged on something, pulled the camera out of my hands, fell onto the timber decking. Plastic prism housing smashed. 😪
Almost makes me cry to think about it.
11-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #786
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Do you have any verifiable instances of GPS equipped cameras breaking the prism hump?
Here ya go: K-1II hotshoe mount broken - PentaxForums.com
11-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #787
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SoonerCaniac Quote
IMO, in-body GPS is quintessentially Pentax
NOT GPS in K-3III? At least a saving-space GPS-Flu Card must be invented

Last edited by carabez; 11-04-2020 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Question mark
11-04-2020, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #788
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
NOT GPS in K-3III? At least a saving-space GPS-Flu Card must be invented
It wasn't listed in the published specifications, so we aren't sure, yet.
11-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #789
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K 3 iii is a APS-C flagship and none before had a flippy screen either //// j/k
I think it will be a cracker and you will never loose a face in the crowd again.
4 mths ... to ... go
11-04-2020, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Rob, I think we are talking about a different page 3 here.
11-05-2020, 02:58 AM   #791
Pentaxian

Naughty boy!
11-05-2020, 03:04 AM   #792
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Rob, I think we are talking about a different page 3 here.
Surely, you jest!
11-05-2020, 03:06 AM   #793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

Naughty boy!
What did I say?
11-05-2020, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #794
Pentaxian

What did I say?
You're a fox, Sam!
11-05-2020, 05:28 AM - 2 Likes   #795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SoonerCaniac Quote
But, I must say, I longed for the Pentax in-body solution all weekend and it frustrated me to no end thinking that the K-33 may not have this feature. IMO, in-body GPS is quintessentially Pentax, like weather-sealing and IBIS was back in the early DSLR days. My comments in no way assume that remote geotagging will be the same or worse with Ricoh. If Ricoh somehow improves the experience I will keep an open mind, but having to babysit two devices to geotag feels like an unnecessary step backward. All disclaimers aside about this being my personal opinion and that not everyone cares about GPS and on and on, I think the absence of this feature is a mistake on a high-end Pentax camera, "action-oriented" or not.
I concur that having smartphone integration via Bluetooth to replace things like a flippy screen and GPS is a kludgy work-around. I almost guarantee that it will be difficult and inconsistent enough that I will rarely use it for either, for exactly the reasons you mention with the X-T4. With the K-3ii the only issue I have with GPS is remembering to turn it on. Doing paring and checking to see if it's still paired, and if the phone and camera each haven't timed out, and if the phone has GPS lock when you're out and about where there's no cell service, and trying to do this with gloves when it's cold, nevermind if it's raining... it's nearly guaranteed that you go from a seamless 99% solution to something that fails enough that you don't bother with it.

People here often talk about lens selection being based on not having 20 seconds to change primes when they're with a group. It's likely more cumbersome and time-consuming to do Bluetooth pairing for GPS or live view or whatever.

For me I'll keep the K-3ii and that'll become my rugged outdoors hiking GPS camera, just missing some features and IQ from the K-3iii.
Closed Thread