Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2020, 05:30 AM   #841
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bencoskater Quote
I agree using the phone is a solution for Live View. Another thing came to my mind, I'm wondering if we will be able to connect a mic via the BT. In my opinion there's no reason to have Wifi + BT (Live View not supported on BT for sure) to control the camera.
I could see a tripod mounted phone holder that tilts/swivels being a solution if you need a workaround for viewfinder and lots of low or high shots where that screen is useful.

I have tilt screens on the D750 and OMD and do use them occasionally for a low shot mostly and it’s nice. The apps are useful if you want to use a monopod and position the camera while using the cell phone to frame the image as well.

The K-1 has a really nice tilt screen so it’s a shame they didn’t use something like that. Not end of the world but it would have been nice.

11-06-2020, 05:38 AM   #842
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Slightly OT but I see many videos on youtube where portrait photographers shoot a lot of live view. It looks super awkward but clearly it's a way of working. Seems to me there migh be room for a FF version of something similar to the new Hasselblad 907X 50C. That's a sort of retro design but I imagine there could be a new form factor for live view photography.
11-06-2020, 06:30 AM   #843
Pentaxian

I have to admit I have lost hope on the smartphone app thing. Every "white paper" they are releasing emphasizes physical buttons and viewfinder and the tactile joy of fondling this chunk of metal with all those buttons. To me they are busy promoting very conservative virtues. Smartphone integration kind of negates the physical buttons and larger viewfinder. It would be a bit ironic if the camera comes with a strong app. I don't think it will happen.

From my perspective and my use cases, this camera is actually a step sideways compared to the k3 II (which I own) though I understand it will have bigger buffer and AF can be expected to be a bit faster and more confident and I am sure the sensor will be better (the K3IIs weak point).
11-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #844
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I have to admit I have lost hope on the smartphone app thing. Every "white paper" they are releasing emphasizes physical buttons and viewfinder and the tactile joy of fondling this chunk of metal with all those buttons. To me they are busy promoting very conservative virtues. Smartphone integration kind of negates the physical buttons and larger viewfinder. It would be a bit ironic if the camera comes with a strong app. I don't think it will happen.
Wait, what???
Are you seriously saying that a physical interface and a high quality viewfinder can be replaced by a smartphone app? That makes absolute no sense, particularly from a Pentaxian.

11-06-2020, 07:01 AM   #845
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of upgrades and updates. I'll sit and watch as it goes on the market and see what others think of it.
11-06-2020, 07:09 AM   #846
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wait, what???
Are you seriously saying that a physical interface and a high quality viewfinder can be replaced by a smartphone app? That makes absolute no sense, particularly from a Pentaxian.
It is also not what I am saying. I am saying, they have in mind users users who appreciates the physical interface and high quality viewfinder. I don't think they at the same time have worked hard to make a kick ass app, because using the app is anatema to the ideal user. I mean, plenty Pentax users are already offended they included video in the damn things.
11-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
It is also not what I am saying. I am saying, they have in mind users users who appreciates the physical interface and high quality viewfinder. I don't think they at the same time have worked hard to make a kick ass app, because using the app is anatema to the ideal user. I mean, plenty Pentax users are already offended they included video in the damn things.
Thanks; I didn't quite get the part about negating the physical buttons and larger viewfinder.

I do think you are very much mistaken about using the app being an anatema - I appreciate Pentax' interface as much as anyone else, but I still have the Image Sync installed on my phone and tablet.
Also, video might be useless to some, a few others hope that excluding video and other features would make a much cheaper camera (which is false), but I'd say very very few people are actually offended by it.

11-06-2020, 07:49 AM - 3 Likes   #848
Pentaxian

I'm referring to Product Stories of New APS-C "K-3 Mark III" Vol.5 (Wakashiro) | PENTAX official.

The representation of the viewfinder screen is VERY interesting.

Did you notice the nine 'interruptions' or 'holes' in the two horizontal lines? They suggest the central zone includes 9 rows of AF points. Since there are 25 cross-type focus points, this suggest the central zone includes 9x9 = 81 focus points.

A possible organisation of the 101 focus points of SAFOX 13 in Pentax K-3 Mark III:

11-06-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #849
Pentaxian

I would interpret the breaks as places for actual AF points, so the extreme left and right ones are sitting quite a bit higher/lower than your sketch, as they are breaking the horizontal 1/3 lines. Same height as the central area ones.
11-06-2020, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #850
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I would interpret the breaks as places for actual AF points, so the extreme left and right ones are sitting quite a bit higher/lower than your sketch, as they are breaking the horizontal 1/3 lines. Same height as the central area ones.
I'm a poor and lazy draughtsman, therefore I based my sketch on the K-1's autofocus.

You're right, instead of 2x7 outer focus points and 2x3 extreme focus points there might be 2x5 outer focus points and 2x5 extreme focus points, each row of five including 3 linear sensors and 2 assistance sensors (from top to bottom: linear sensor - assistance sensor - linear sensor - assistance sensor - linear sensor).

In addition, it's more logical to have linear sensors instead of assistance sensors at the ends of the outer and extreme rows.
11-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #851
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
CP+ is announced for 25-28 February, right? So k3||| is to be available on March?
11-06-2020, 02:48 PM - 4 Likes   #852
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Did you notice the nine 'interruptions' or 'holes' in the two horizontal lines?
Something like this fits the gaps.
Attached Images

11-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #853
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
CP+ is announced for 25-28 February, right? So k3||| is to be available on March?
So, maybe real users can handle one just before it goes on the market.
11-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #854
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Something like this fits the gaps.
The extra gap in the near bottom-left line suggests there’s something missing, or more likely it’s just a drafting artefact. I wouldn’t like to start another rear-screen finger-dent controversy, though.
11-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #855
Pentaxian

Either way it looks good, presumptive as it may be. Hopefully this is similar to what we will get but just have to wait and see.
Closed Thread