Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1388 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2020, 05:43 AM   #1411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I doubt that's any faster. Perhaps your "pretty quick" is my "quite slow"...
I wasn't exaggerating when I said I can go from not using my phone to taking a photo in ~2 seconds. I thought that was how phones work. Unless you typically keep it turned off, then it's a pretty long time. But I think the typical use case is your phone is on almost all the time.

12-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #1412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I wasn't exaggerating when I said I can go from not using my phone to taking a photo in ~2 seconds. I thought that was how phones work. Unless you typically keep it turned off, then it's a pretty long time. But I think the typical use case is your phone is on almost all the time.
It's about 3 seconds from when I unblock (via fingerprint, much faster than with a PIN) until the camera app starts showing a live view.
Then, after I press the shutter, it's at least a second without flash, much longer with flash.
In the meanwhile, my cute Beagle decides to do something else...

But let's end this side discussion; after all, this thread is about the most responsive Pentax DSLR to date.
12-15-2020, 06:30 AM   #1413
Veteran Member

With my Moto G Power or Stylus I just rotate my wrist 2 times and bingo camera is on without having to unlock, easy and fast
12-15-2020, 06:39 AM - 6 Likes   #1414
Pentaxian

Guys, thanks for the suggestions but I'm not going to spend the budget for the D FA 21mm, D FA* 85mm and the K-1 Mark III trying to find a faster smartphone

12-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #1415
Pentaxian

Guys, thanks for the suggestions but I'm not going to spend the budget for the D FA 21mm, D FA* 85mm and the K-1 Mark III trying to find a faster smartphone
There is only so fast a smart phone can be, because some of its functions are in reusable software, while a Pentax camera uses dedicated hardware.
That is also the underlying cause of my issues with the shutter {namely finding}.
12-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #1416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But let's end this side discussion; after all, this thread is about the most responsive Pentax DSLR to date.
Yes, let’s. Phone cameras are easy to use, but so easy that they’re also deeply unsatisfying.
12-15-2020, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #1417

Photos: Gallery
Good choice!

12-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #1418
Veteran Member

Looks like it's going to be a killer beast. Can't wait for the price announcement.
12-15-2020, 02:28 PM - 2 Likes   #1419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But but but... derailing threads is half the fun! OK OK, but I will just say this anecdotally:

My wife drowned her old Moto in her purse when the water bottle cap came off and she didn't notice. In a hurry to get her "something" quick, I totally wiped to factory new via reset, my ancient Galaxy Note 4, which had been my main Cell right up until I got a Galaxy 10+ last year. I was totally gobsmacked how good the ancient Note 4 ran with a fresh basic OS load on it. My wife loves it and doesn't want another phone. I think That old Note 4 was on its 4th replacement battery and always in a protective case so still looked like new. It was nice to be able to change batteries myself.

So bottom line, I don't think phones really get slow with age, we just load them up with junk, and manufacturers stick us with bloat, even in IOS on Apple, which has a hidden file for "error reporting" that gets huge over time... even on their tablets... and the only way to get rid of those easily is with a full reset/wipe. (not even a backup / restore gets rid of it, I tried on my iPad) a full reset and start over. But its worth it. Then just restore individual pieces like your contacts, etc. ala carte'. It will run like new.

Oh, and the camera on the Note 4 didn't suck but is nowhere as fast as a DSLR or as good as my 10+, I vote keep saving for the DSLR Flagship!
See, I got some on-topic talk in there.
Eric
12-15-2020, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #1420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I'm sorry, but this makes me laugh. This is exactly the numbercounting reaction they should have expected if they would have provided more information. I hope you were joking and tried to ironise teen supertrump card game mentality...
I was actually being serious 🤣. Come to think of it. When sarcastic people think I am serious. When I am serious people think I'm being sarcastic

---------- Post added 12-15-20 at 04:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Since I use only centre spot focus, it won't make any difference to me.
It feels as if they added more focusing points to the old sensor.

---------- Post added 12-15-20 at 05:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Citation needed.
Algorithms play a huge part... while the K-1 can already track fairly well with a fast lens, I'm told the K-1ii is significantly improved without adding AF points.

Is it so hard to wait and see?

---------- Post added 12-14-20 at 03:56 AM ----------

I alternate between Center and Single-Expand 1 for tracking the few times I use it (so main point, plus the surrounding 8 being used only to track).
Also the k-1 mk2 smears details of the low light pics with their new accelerator unit. Let's see what happens!
12-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #1421
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Also the k-1 mk2 smears details of the low light pics with their new accelerator unit. Let's see what happens!
Not more than a photo with "normal" NR applied would.
12-15-2020, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #1422
Veteran Member

I hope they won't experiment with such silly things I really liked the k-1
12-15-2020, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #1423
Pentaxian

You are aware aren't you, that when an astronomy magazine reviewed the K-1ii, they found no details were lost?
Pentax K-1 Mark II Astrophotography Review – Lonely Speck
They did say that they would be happier with an on/off switch for the 'accelerator', but never gave a clear reason why.
12-15-2020, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #1424
Pentaxian

Which "silly things" are you talking about "experimenting with"??
You are aware, aren't you, that the 'accelerator' currently used in the K-70, KP, and K-1ii, noticeably decreases noise, increases DR and improves color rendition??

Last edited by reh321; 12-15-2020 at 05:43 PM.
12-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #1425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The accelerator is most likely here to stay.

Honestly, whatever keeps me from spending more than a click or two on NR is great. I have an original K-1 but there is no instance where I willingly leave the noise in.
Closed Thread