Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2020, 10:12 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

K-3 III Article Collection

Pentax have been releasing a series of articles about the development and production of the new Pentax APS-C Flagship Camera, the K-3 III.

In Vol. 1 Shigeru Wakashiro, who is in charge of the planning and development of new Pentax DSLRs, focuses on the design process behind the new pentaprism.

In Vol. 2 Shigeru Wakashiro highlights how the viewfinder protrudes ~3mm more (compared to the K-3 II), helping the user to avoid smudging the back LCD with their nose. The eye sensor (below the viewfinder window) is explained as dimming the back LCD panel when one uses the viewfinder.

Vol. 3 explains how prioritising viewfinder usage, clearance between nose and back LCD, compactness and sturdiness of design, and maximising monitor size, led to the decision to use a fixed back LCD.

Vol. 4 is about the considerations that went into the camera's ergonomics, using a "form follows function" approach. In particular Shigeru Wakashiro describes the process used for finding the optimal grip shape and explains which design forces needed to be balanced in order to enable reliable but at the same time comfortable joystick operation.

An intermediate story was about a progress update which disclosed an updated launch date (late February 2021), links to "Pentax Principles", and listed many of the specs, such as a 26MP sensor and 101 AF points. The first four minutes of the latest video (see below) about the K-3 III are about the "Pentax Philosophy". The rest is an update on the K-3 III development.

Vol. 5 is about improving the interaction paradigm involving the third wheel.

Vol. 6 discusses the styling of the camera which is meant to create a sense of "energy and liveliness", suggesting "improved image tracking performance for active field use". A full magnesium body, including the top shell, indicates that built-in GPS may not be a feature of the K-3 III.

Vol. 7 explains why the K-3 III received a shutter release button that uses the same principle as the K-1 (II) with a small tweak, reducing button wobble. Furthermore, there are some comments about optimising the mirror and shutter behaviour.

Vol. 8 discusses the K-3 III's support for legacy lenses. A novel feature is the ability to have a manually set aperture value recorded by the camera. Setting the shooting aperture manually also enables Av and TAv modes, something that current Pentax DSLRs do not support with manual lenses (outside wide-open shooting).

Vol. 9 describes an extension to the Hyper Program mode which now can not only assume the functionalities of the "P", "Av", and "Tv" modes, but additionally supports the very useful "TAv" mode. The latter is simply activated by manually changing an exposure parameter (aperture or shutter speed) after having manually changed the respective other exposure parameter already.

Vol. 10, the last volume in the series, discusses image quality, addressing a range of topics from the BSI sensor, to improved image processing by the "accelerator unit", to sharpening alternatives.

The "Challengers - Messages from the development team members" page provides further very interesting background information on the K-3 III and its development.

Related discussion threads are "New K-New? Who Knew?" and "[New video Oct 27] New information about upcoming APS-C flagship model".

New video on the K-3 III technology:

Last edited by Class A; 04-02-2021 at 09:26 AM.
11-01-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
Forum Member

I used to be a Pentax user, but switched to a fuji... but my love for Pentax has never abated. I've always wished that they would make a throwback camera, one with proper dials for shutter speed and aperture (they could put it right behind the lens mount to be used with the left hand). I wish they would work at making the camera a lot thinner (even to the point of removing the rear screen - maybe they could rig something up in the viewfinder where you could pop the Electric viewfinder into the viewfinder like the Fuji X-Pro3). If they could make the camera nearly as thin as the old film camera's they would compete in size with mirrorless, but have all the advantages of a DSLR. Just a small wish list... probably not possible with current technological limitations
11-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gilzuma Quote
...they would compete in size with mirrorless...
Recent mirrorless cameras have grown in size and in my view understandably so. The very small models are just ergonomically lacking, in particular when used in combination with larger lenses.

Given that recent mirrorless lens releases have almost exclusively featured large and heavy glass, I don't see a distinct size/weight advantage to a mirrorless system. On the contrary, the small Pentax Limited lenses (both in the APS-C range and the FF range) could be considered to be a plus for Pentax compared to what is available for mirrorless systems.
11-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to be a Pentax user, but switched to a fuji... but my love for Pentax has never abated. I've always wished that they would make a throwback camera, one with proper dials for shutter speed and aperture (they could put it right behind the lens mount to be used with the left hand). I wish they would work at making the camera a lot thinner (even to the point of removing the rear screen - maybe they could rig something up in the viewfinder where you could pop the Electric viewfinder into the viewfinder like the Fuji X-Pro3). If they could make the camera nearly as thin as the old film camera's they would compete in size with mirrorless, but have all the advantages of a DSLR. Just a small wish list... probably not possible with current technological limitations
Interesting post.
I don't understand how you could still "love" Pentax when in fact you wish it to be similar to a Fuji.You switched from Pentax to Fuji, right?
The dials are just fine in the Pentax APS-C format world, I love the dial setup on my K7, K5 and K3. The trend will continue with the K3III.
Don't expect Pentax to come up with a "thin" camera either, anytime soon.
This is about the new K3III ...lots of great new stuff (if you check the articles).

Cheers! and continue taking pictures (with the Fuji).

11-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a small wish list... probably not possible with current technological limitations
@Gilzuma, The direction of the new Pentax APS-C camera -- the K-3 Mark III -- is described in the various articles and videos mentioned in the first post, above. I don't think we will see any of the features on your wish list. However, the K-3 III will introduce a number of features, functions, and performance levels that should make it a highly competent and usable camera for those who decide to acquire it.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-01-2020 at 07:37 PM.
11-01-2020, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Pentax have been releasing a series of articles about the development and production of the new Pentax APS-C Flagship Camera, the K-3 III.

In Vol. 1 Shigeru Wakashiro, who is in charge of the planning and development of new Pentax DSLRs, focuses on the design process behind the new pentaprism.

In Vol. 2 Shigeru Wakashiro highlights how the viewfinder protrudes ~3mm more (compared to the K-3 II), helping the user to avoid smudging the back LCD with their nose. The eye sensor (below the viewfinder window) is explained as dimming the back LCD panel when one uses the viewfinder.

Vol. 3 explains how prioritising viewfinder usage, clearance between nose and back LCD, compactness and sturdiness of design, and maximising monitor size, led to the decision to use a fixed back LCD.

Vol. 4 is about the considerations that went into the camera's ergonomics, using a "form follows function" approach. In particular Shigeru Wakashiro describes the process used for finding the optimal grip shape and explains which design forces needed to be balanced in order to enable reliable but at the same time comfortable joystick operation.

The most recent story is a progress update which discloses an updated launch date (late February 2021), links to "Pentax Principles", and list many of the specs, such as a 26MP sensor and 101 AF points. The first four minutes of the latest video (see below) about the K-3 III are about the "Pentax Philosophy". The rest is an update on the K-3 III development.

Related discussion threads are "New K-New? Who Knew?" and "[New video Oct 27] New information about upcoming APS-C flagship model".

New information about upcoming APS-C flagship model - YouTube
That is one great thread !!
Thanks for bringing all those articles in one easy place to find them.
11-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just added a link to Vol. 5 of the story series to the first post.

11-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've added a link to Vol. 6 to the first post.

It looks like that built-in GPS may not be a feature of the K-3 III, due to the full magnesium body, including the top shell.
11-27-2020, 06:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for this, but given the number of press releases concerning the new camera you'll have to update this post as I'm sure we're gonna get more 'updates' prior to final release!
12-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've added a link to Vol. 7 to the first post.
12-11-2020, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
Thanks for this, but given the number of press releases concerning the new camera you'll have to update this post as I'm sure we're gonna get more 'updates' prior to final release!
I've updated the information a number of times already.

See my post above for instance.
12-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #12

No GPS and a fixed LCD because of nose smudges was not the best way to go. The GPS on my K3-II lets me pinpoint exact locations and even gives me a clear record of where I wandered to get that next great shot.
12-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Source: https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1296875.html
12-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Link to Vol. 8 added.
01-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #15

Can't wait for K3 III release

Can't wait to see K3 III actual price upon release in NA!