Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
See above post. They both do.
I don't see any mention of the hybrid system in the KP's specs, though. Even video AF says "Contrast detect" only (Specifications | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING). Maybe it was a slip by the review here?

12-18-2020, 07:37 AM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I don't see any mention of the hybrid system in the KP's specs, though. Even video AF says "Contrast detect" only (Specifications | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING). Maybe it was a slip by the review here?
Well color me confused. I see multiple references to it in various places, but also references that say it doesn’t have them. Additionally there are sites that suggest that Sony is moving towards only making available sensors with the embedded PDAF in the near future. I’d say I’m going to have to admit I can’t clear this one up. It would be fantastic if we had a section called ask Pentax... that has active participation from the engineers...
12-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well color me confused. I see multiple references to it in various places, but also references that say it doesn’t have them. Additionally there are sites that suggest that Sony is moving towards only making available sensors with the embedded PDAF in the near future. I’d say I’m going to have to admit I can’t clear this one up. It would be fantastic if we had a section called ask Pentax... that has active participation from the engineers...
I also thought the KP had it, but it's definitely a headscratcher . Luckily, no reports of banding issues AFAIK, so all good anyway...
12-18-2020, 07:47 AM   #259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also thought the KP had it, but it's definitely a headscratcher . Luckily, no reports of banding issues AFAIK, so all good anyway...
Are there reports of banding on k70 images?

12-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #260

confused too
12-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are there reports of banding on k70 images?
Ah, I meant on both of those cameras. I haven't noticed any... but I also don't really spend time on the camera-specific subforums, so don't quote me on that .
12-18-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #262
Pentaxian

I looked at the actual specs on the Ricoh site.
They are written completely differently for the K-70 and KP, and AF is unclear to me in both cases.
Normally, "banding" is a result of the conversion to JPEG in any case, so it is not a clear indicator in any case,
and I have not heard that complaint about either the K-70 nor the KP.

12-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I think it's because they have a licensing program or 'open mount' as some people call it. I think the K-mount is easy also, but the comparison is made because people are comparing new mirrorless cameras which don't have as many lenses as DLSRs. So the Nikon Z mount has many fewer third-party lenses and it is harder for third parties to do so. But you are right, probably some manufacturers just reverse engineer the mount from other third parties who bought a license...or something like that.
I think that the “open mount” that Sony uses is the key. In my opinion it was a very smart move, because it brought a lot of people to the Sony system due to the availability of more reasonably priced lenses from third-party manufacturers. Just look at the ones available from Tamron and Sigma for the system that work just as well as first party lenses. You also have the excellent Voigtlander and Loxia line for manual focus lenses with full exodus data and modern optics. Nikon and Canon refuse to do this because they don’t want to lose money on their first party lenses, but this limitation keeps me in the Sony camp.
12-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #264
Veteran Member

They both do.

Read here the Pentax forums review of the KP. Scroll down to the live view section:
Pentax KP Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Then there's an actual chance that the K-3 III has on sensor PDAF! I feel like I've been like a lone forum member saying that I want this feature.

Now imagine those new AF algorithms they wrote for the K-3 III SAFOX unit applied also in live view. If this was the case I can understand the marketing "best aps-c DSLR" and price a bit more since it beats or matches 90D / D500 specs in every reasonable way possible.
12-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Then there's an actual chance that the K-3 III has on sensor PDAF! I feel like I've been like a lone forum member saying that I want this feature.

Now imagine those new AF algorithms they wrote for the K-3 III SAFOX unit applied also in live view. If this was the case I can understand the marketing "best aps-c DSLR" and price a bit more since it beats or matches 90D / D500 specs in every reasonable way possible.
The problem with using on-sensor PDAF is that it would need SLT or hybrid viewfinder to get light simultaneously to the viewfinder and sensor, and they haven’t given us any reason to believe that.
12-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The problem with using on-sensor PDAF is that it would need SLT or hybrid viewfinder to get light simultaneously to the viewfinder and sensor, and they haven’t given us any reason to believe that.
But that is only if you want an EVF experience which is IMO is mostly pointless by their emphasis on OVF. PDAF with liveview atleast for me is enough
12-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #267
Pentaxian

But that is only if you want an EVF experience which is IMO is mostly pointless by their emphasis on OVF. PDAF with liveview atleast for me is enough
No, zero light gets to sensor while true mirror is sending light to viewfinder.
How would you use PDAF cells on sensor while true mirror is allowing no light to reach them??
LV is OK for tripod use, but most of us take most of our photographs hand-holding cameras in sunlight.

Last edited by reh321; 12-18-2020 at 10:40 AM.
12-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No, zero light gets to sensor while true mirror is sending light to viewfinder.
How would you use PDAF cells on sensor while true mirror is allowing no light to reach them??
I just said in liveview hence no OVF
12-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #269
Pentaxian

That lens was based on a full frame design per the patent work if I recall correctly. I haven’t modified mine despite having the needed part already.

60-250 shots are in this post mid way down the page:
Post your Full-Frame pictures here. - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
I think I see some slight vignetting in your pictures, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Easily cropped out or corrected (and that's without modifying the lens).
12-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #270
Pentaxian

I just said in liveview hence no OVF
So largely irrelevant to the K-3iii, which seems to be concentrating on the OVF experience.
Closed Thread