Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 176 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #106
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Dumb adapters can do video at probably 10percent of the price of this newby.

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 03:57 PM ----------

They copied the TechArt Pro to adapt $ony,the TAP firmware updates the Fotodiox!

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 03:59 PM ----------

So,whats price?Whens it released?Where are the YT videos doing demos?
about 300-400$,
It's already in beta.

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 04:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bencoskater Quote
Weather Sealed?
That would be great if it is!
WR is not currently planned as it will result in a higher price.

11-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I've often wished that somebody would resurrect a film-era focusing screen for DSLRs, including the split screen and microprism ring in the center.
Katzeye did, however the design wreaks a bit of havock with dslr meetering systems. It's not insurmountable but takes a bit of adjustment.
11-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #108
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
about 300-400$,
It's already in beta.

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 04:41 PM ----------

WR is not currently planned as it will result in a higher price.
Thank you for the update
11-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #109
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
That's another advantage of mirrorless cameras: the focus assistance that you can get with a well-designed EVF. I've often wished that somebody would resurrect a film-era focusing screen for DSLRs, including the split screen and microprism ring in the center.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Katzeye did, however the design wreaks a bit of havock with dslr meetering systems. It's not insurmountable but takes a bit of adjustment.
I have had a series of Katzeye screens since about 2009 and the only metering issue has been loss of spot metering due to the split image. This is typical for SLRs, you can have one or the other but not both. I did extensive comparative testing of the Katzeye to my K-3's stock screen and found both matrix and center-weighted to be identical between the two. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have spot metering, but given the amount of manual focus glass I use, I will accept the trade-off.

Katzeye is gone now, but focusingscreen.com in Taiwan supplies an impressive variety of screens that fit Pentax cameras, including models for the K-1. Their products are created from commercially available product from Nikon, Canon, and other makers modified to fit our cameras. I was looking their site tonight and noticed that they offer the excellent Nikon K3 screen (think FM3A) for the Pentax MZ-S. That might be a decent combination. We will have to see what they can do for the K-3iii.

Steve

11-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #110
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
This beats people hacking the stop-down linkage off of k-mount lenses to better work on mirrorless + adapter rigs.
That is done by people adapting to FF Canon. The linkage is no problem for mirrorless and is actually essential for some adapters to work.

Steve
11-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So it was the Canon people all along!
11-03-2020, 07:30 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
11:00 to 3:00 bright sun in a forest, or on a waterfall or pretty much just about any landscape. Landscapes where harsh shadows would necessitate hdr techniques .....
I understand about harsh light, I did not understand why you said the Sony cameras were better than the K-1 for that.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
For me it opens the possibility of adding a Sony body to my gear. I'm not leaving Pentax, but I might add a Sony.
I was already in the process of getting a Sony camera, mainly for review purposes. This announcement is icing on the cake. There is no talk of "leaving" Pentax, systems are not mutually exclusive, and I like my gear and the images they produce so much, I don't see myself loosing that appreciation anytime soon.

11-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
So it was the Canon people all along!
Getting more Canon users to switch to RF mount should serve as an effective conservation measure for legacy K-mount lenses. Or getting them to switch to K-mount, which may be harder.
11-03-2020, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I was already in the process of getting a Sony camera, mainly for review purposes. This announcement is icing on the cake. There is no talk of "leaving" Pentax, systems are not mutually exclusive, and I like my gear and the images they produce so much, I don't see myself loosing that appreciation anytime soon.
It's definitely much easier than before to have multiple systems that play well with each other. For those that think this adapter will lure people to move to Sony, the effect also works in the other direction. More people will look at the Pentax ecosystem and consider its strengths. Overall it's never a bad thing to have more choices.
11-03-2020, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #115
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
It's definitely much easier than before to have multiple systems that play well with each other. For those that think this adapter will lure people to move to Sony, the effect also works in the other direction. More people will look at the Pentax ecosystem and consider its strengths. Overall it's never a bad thing to have more choices.
Good thought. Having multiple systems, whether rangefinder and slr, or slr and tlr was always doable in the past. No reason why it won’t work today.
11-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #116
Veteran Member

great time to go back Sony
11-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Agreed. And the Pentax lineup has many products which go well with the "promise" of mirrorless : all the Limited deliver character, superb IQ and rendering, in a comparatively small format. Especially for a lens like the 77, the adapter doesn't make it much bigger, and actually smaller than most modern portrait lenses.
11-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #118
Veteran Member

I hope that the adapter will work good. Than I can consider a7iii, but I really prefer to spend my money on faster (than K-1) Pentax FF body with significantly better AF, bigger buffer/faster cards and 4K video.
11-05-2020, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #119
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Far from it, let's see, about as far as Betelgeuse if you're walking?
For me, it's just a piece of useless &^@# which does absolutely nothing.
For others, it's just something that would be somewhat useful - if it would work. And it might work after a firmware update or two. Maybe.
A very narrow-minded view.

This potentially gives the option of a modern "Pentax" mirrorless (still including the Sony sensor ). Just put tape over the Sony logo and ignore the body ergonomics/menus.
11-05-2020, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
A very narrow-minded view.

This potentially gives the option of a modern "Pentax" mirrorless (still including the Sony sensor ). Just put tape over the Sony logo and ignore the body ergonomics/menus.
That... isn't nice.

Perhaps you should try being more tolerant with others' choices and preferences.
Closed Thread