Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 176 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2020, 08:40 AM - 6 Likes   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can understand people who have no interest in an adapter like this. I can even understand brand loyalists. That's fine.

What I don't comprehend is hanging out in a thread for a product you don't want just to be negative and complain about it, like it was about you. It's not.

11-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I can understand people who have no interest in an adapter like this. I can even understand brand loyalists. That's fine.

What I don't comprehend is hanging out in a thread for a product you don't want just to be negative and complain about it, like it was about you. It's not.
If you're talking about me, I was responding to someone stating that this adapter is more interesting than the K-3 III.
Before that I pointed out, correctly, that the adapter needs the power contacts to work with KAF3/KAF4 lenses, and I didn't see any in the picture presented. Of course, the final product might be different. It better be different.

Neither is negative or "just complaining". I even started posting with "I'm obviously not interested, as I don't plan to buy myself a Sony. It should be nice for those who do, of course."
11-08-2020, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #123
Veteran Member

Carly Simon wrote a great song about people like that.
11-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope to see some reviews on this forum when people get it.

11-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is very interesting! Maybe I missed something upthread, but I don't quite understand why it would support auto-aperture with, say, FA glass, but then not work with A level manual focus glass... Is that information really accurate?
11-08-2020, 06:05 PM - 4 Likes   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
This is very interesting! Maybe I missed something upthread, but I don't quite understand why it would support auto-aperture with, say, FA glass, but then not work with A level manual focus glass... Is that information really accurate?
I suspect they aren't decoding the aperture pins on the mount. The F, FA, DA, and DFA lenses should communicate focusing distance, focal length and I think "exact" maximum aperture including variable aperture lenses. These lenses also have the passive "A-series" style communication for backwards compatibility with older manual focus bodies. The "A-series" passive communications have a limited set of options for maximum aperture. This is why the DA 50 f1.8 is able to tell the camera it is f1.8 while the A 50 couldn't do so if it wanted since there isn't an f1.8 option on the chart of positions for the lens contacts. And there's no cpu in the A 50.

Features and Operation of the KA Mount | The K-Mount Page
11-09-2020, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That... isn't nice.
Sorry if it came across a bit harsh.

11-09-2020, 06:41 AM - 5 Likes   #128
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Long story short:

1-For some people it's completely irrelevant
2-For some current Sony users it will open the realm of fantastic Pentax glass (often less expensive)
3-For some current Pentax owners it will open possibilities of using Pentax glass with bodies offering better AF tracking, better video possibilities and (like with the Sony A7C) smaller bodies

I see no loosers here. And I don't think it will, in any way, be worst for the Pentax brand.
11-09-2020, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I don't think it will, in any way, be worst for the Pentax brand.
There will be people who will buy $ony bodies instead of Pentax,thats money Ricoh wont ever see.

Then with the native and third party glass available,people will buy those lenses.Thats money Ricoh will never see.

Last edited by surfar; 11-09-2020 at 09:28 AM.
11-09-2020, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
There will be people who will buy $ony bodies instead of Pentax,thats money Ricoh wont ever see.

Then with the native and third party glass available,people will buy those lenses.Thats money Ricoh will never see.
Unless that number is a larger percentage than I anticipate, I doubt it will have a statistically significant impact.
11-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Does anyone have any ideas on what pricing will be?
11-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
How about reading the previous page in this thread?
11-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Post 106 gives an indication.
11-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #134
Pentaxian

The adapter is not cheap, but considering the price of some of Sony's current lenses, being able to use currently-owned Pentax glass might make it worth one's while.
11-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
about 300-400$,
It's already in beta.

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 04:41 PM ----------

WR is not currently planned as it will result in a higher price.
That price is quite good it lines up favorably with some Canon EF to E mount adapters. WR might make for a useful future version if this sells well.

Is the BETA closed?
Closed Thread