Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 176 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Is this manufacturer reliable? What experience does this manufacturer have in adapters? I did not find a site in English, contact details, anything about them, etc. Just a trivial facebook page. I also want to try an ML system, I thought of Nikon, after reading about this adapter I also consider Sony, but as I have never heard of this manufacturer, the information on the internet is poor, I have some doubts about this adapter.

11-23-2020, 02:45 PM - 6 Likes   #197
Pentaxian

Behind this Monster Adapter there is a guy, John Zhou from Beijing, China, who made a Minolta Vectis --> Sony E adapter for his own use sometimes in 2015.

Images of the first Minolta Vectis V-Mount to E-mount adapter. - sonyalpharumors

At the request of a SAR reader and Dyxum forum member a first batch of seven units of this Minolta Vectis --> Sony E adapter was manufactured in October 2015 and listed on eBay.

Someone made a Vectis->e mount adapter - Dyxum - Page 1 (go directly to page 6 if you're in a hurry)

The first adopter then made a review on Dyxum:

Minolta Vectis V - Sony E "MONSTER Adapter" Review - Dyxum - Page 1

John Zhou then apparently disappeared until this summer when new Monster adapters surfaced, beginning with LA-EA4r, a re-engineered Sony LA-EA4 (Sony A --> Sony E autofocus adapter) with the translucent mirror and AF module removed, allowing the lens to make full use of the on-sensor phase detection autofocus capabilities of the latest Sony cameras, including Eye AF, Animal Eye AF and more.

The LA-VE1, the commercial version of the Minolta Vectis --> Sony E adapter from 2015, was launched and made available on eBay in October.

SonyUserforum - Minolta V Objektive Vectis Monster Adapter

Then they teased the Pentax K --> Sony E LA-KE1 autofocus adapter this thread is about.

Their Facebook page: MonsterAdapter

So, for the time being Monster is pretty much a one man's company with a contractor behind it manufacturing small batches of the adapters designed by John Zhou. It may seem a bit shaky; remember however that the Fringer venture, Fringer whose adapters are so highly praised today, also begun with a guy somewhere in South-East Asia interested in using his Contax N and Contax 645 lenses with his Sony camera.

Last edited by Mistral75; 11-23-2020 at 02:52 PM.
11-24-2020, 12:03 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Wow, that is certainly a different approach to turning manual focus lenses into autofocus lenses.
I still prefer Kyocera/Contax way ... lol?
11-24-2020, 12:04 AM   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Kind of a stretched version of the Contax AX concept.
Ah, previous reference to Contax, I'm late I see.

11-24-2020, 12:07 AM   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DFA 85!?! Nice.
Funny. You notice the lens, I notice the camera top, thinking it really looks ugly.
Sony still can't figure it out or is this just cost cutting ?
11-24-2020, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #201
Veteran Member

Behind this Monster Adapter there is a guy, John Zhou from Beijing, China, who made a Minolta Vectis --> Sony E adapter for his own use sometimes in 2015.

John Zhou then apparently disappeared until this summer when new Monster adapters surfaced, beginning with LA-EA4r, a re-engineered Sony LA-EA4 (Sony A --> Sony E autofocus adapter) with the translucent mirror and AF module removed, allowing the lens to make full use of the on-sensor phase detection autofocus capabilities of the latest Sony cameras, including Eye AF, Animal Eye AF and more.

Then they teased the Pentax K --> Sony E LA-KE1 autofocus adapter this thread is about.

Their Facebook page: MonsterAdapter
Seriously, kudos to people like this.

Now I can mount a Contax 645 lens > to Canon EF adapter > to Sony E adapter > to Nikon Z adapter and then watch the adapter logic try to cope! (Technically speaking, AF / AE / and metadata all should pass through...)
11-24-2020, 06:46 AM - 2 Likes   #202
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Let's be honest, this thing is basically only going to be used by people who's only regret leaving the pentax environment were the limiteds.
I disagree. Not about the Limited being interesting, but about only being interesting for a minuscule subset of users.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I believe it will mostly will be those that use both Pentax K- and Sony E-mount cameras.
But it may cause more Pentax users getting Sony mirrorless over other mirroless systems.
I think many people will be like me, and keep both systems indeed.

Using my compact Limited is indeed an interesting element, but it's not just for those lenses. I like all my lenses and would like to be able to use them all on my new Sony A7C.

If Sony were clever, they would subtly give assistance to that company (maybe they did).

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
We'll have to see how this thing performs when under the microscope of good reviewers
Let's hope I can test it as I think I will, and let's hope I am indeed a "good reviewer"

11-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Behind this Monster Adapter there is ......
Thanks for the explanations. I hope this adapter will work as it should.
11-25-2020, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #204
Pentaxian

I saw this this morning and was very surprised that they had chosen K-mount to adapt to Sony. Then I saw that they had started with Minolta Vectis (APS) lenses!

I really hope this is successful. From what I know of Sony cameras they aren't what I look for in a camera, but it's good to have options. Maybe I should ask them to build one for K-mount to Fujifilm X-mount?? I would buy that in a flash and I suspect many others would too, as the two companies have much in common in their philosophies of how to design cameras and lenses.
11-25-2020, 02:27 AM   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DPR has also posted about it: MonsterAdapter's new LA-KE1 adapter brings autofocus, aperture control to Pentax K-mount lenses on Sony E-mount cameras: Digital Photography Review.

Nothing we didn't already know, of course.
11-25-2020, 04:24 AM   #206
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Let's hope I can test it as I think I will, and let's hope I am indeed a "good reviewer"
You usually are!!!!!!
11-25-2020, 06:29 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Eagerly awaits!
11-25-2020, 06:55 AM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Let's be honest, this thing is basically only going to be used by people who's only regret leaving the pentax environment were the limiteds.
If this comes out for a reasonable price, I'd be very inclined to get the D-FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro again.
Excellent lens - though, admittedly, I haven't had any exposure to the Ltds.
11-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #209
Pentaxian

Sony becomes a truly universal solution, as it looks like. I need 36mm mirrorless, the question of which manufacturer to choose.
11-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
Sony becomes a truly universal solution, as it looks like. I need 36mm mirrorless, the question of which manufacturer to choose.
There's a Sony E to Nikon Z adapter that comes with AF and EXIF data transfer, so you can add Nikon to the list of options if you want.
Closed Thread