Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 176 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2020, 05:13 PM   #226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
now, how far behind is Pentax in this?
Does such feature rely on on-sensor AF?
If you mean eye recognition, yes it requires on-sensor autofocus. Metering modules used in DSLR autofocus assistance (forms recognition) are only able to recognise a face, not an eye.

12-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #227
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
now, how far behind is Pentax in this?
Does such feature rely on on-sensor AF?
I can’t understand the question.
12-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
How does the DA* 60-250 fare on the Sony with regards to vignetting? Its FF coverage has been the subject of a great deal of speculation and testing, especially since it was originally fielded as an APS-C lens.
I’ll post the image soon. Obviously there are many focal lengths and many apertures to test if you want to be sure of coverage.
12-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #229

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
If you mean eye recognition, yes it requires on-sensor autofocus. Metering modules used in DSLR autofocus assistance (forms recognition) are only able to recognise a face, not an eye.
thanks, this is what I meant

12-15-2020, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #230
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How does the DA* 60-250 fare on the Sony with regards to vignetting? Its FF coverage has been the subject of a great deal of speculation and testing, especially since it was originally fielded as an APS-C lens.
Hopefully I will be able to answer your question relatively soon, if and when I can get a test unit.
12-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #231
Pentaxian

A related question: what is actually the difference between the metering module and a small RGB(I) sensor? Are there prerequisites, like susceptibility to low(er) light levels or dynamic range? What prevents the use of e.g. high resolution mobile sensors for the purpose of EV metering and as an even more capable AF auxiliary unit?
12-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That lens was based on a full frame design per the patent work if I recall correctly. I haven’t modified mine despite having the needed part already.

60-250 shots are in this post mid way down the page:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/416579-post-your-f...ml#post5157789

12-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #233
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
thanks, this is what I meant
Note, Torge, that it is also a (known) defect to have PDAF autofocus on the sensor.

The more extensive they are, the more of the sensor that is not available for the image, that has to be filled in by an algorithm.

I think Beholder pointed out that because four pixels are used to sense the correct 'colour' in a Bayer array, perhaps 12% of them are affected.

This is the reason for the banding seen in certain situations on mirrorless RAW files.

Panasonic do not use PDAF at all on their sensors, keeping the image quality high, but the focus is slow. Without a DSLR mirror, they are forced to use slow CDAF from the sensor.

Same with Fuji medium format for the most part. I wouldn't be swapping the PDAF of a 645Z if I had one for its Fuji equivalent, the GFX 50R, for instance.
12-16-2020, 04:01 AM   #234
Pentaxian

^ Canon have solved this with their Dual Pixel autofocus technology.
12-16-2020, 05:16 AM   #235
Veteran Member

^ Canon have solved this with their Dual Pixel autofocus technology.
While this is true, it's also true that Canon sensors typically don't have the same dynamic range and high ISO performance compared to the Sony sensors before PDAF banding is considered. Seems like there really isn't a one size fits all perfect solution. Practically every sensor setup is going to have its own fair share of design compromises.
12-16-2020, 06:09 AM   #236
Pentaxian

I wonder from what resolutions you can do eye detection on images.

The new metering module has more or less QVGA resolution - counting full color pixels.
The D6 is apparently able to prioritize focus on eyes (in OVF mode). The camera is relying on a 180,000 pixels metering system (the Pentax has more), a denser AF system and a lot of processing power. It would be unfair to ask Pentax to do the same at a much lower price point, but some advanced subject tracking should be possible.
12-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #237
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wonder from what resolutions you can do eye detection on images.
I can only say that with the A7C, a full-length body of an adult still allows the camera to find the eye. That gives a sense of scale.
12-16-2020, 07:18 AM   #238
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I can only say that with the A7C, a full-length body of an adult still allows the camera to find the eye. That gives a sense of scale.
Would I care about eye AF in such cases, or would face AF suffice?
12-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #239
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Any more updates on this adapter? I am imagining Sony A9 attached to a 560mm
12-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #240

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Note, Torge, that it is also a (known) defect to have PDAF autofocus on the sensor.

The more extensive they are, the more of the sensor that is not available for the image, that has to be filled in by an algorithm.

I think Beholder pointed out that because four pixels are used to sense the correct 'colour' in a Bayer array, perhaps 12% of them are affected.

This is the reason for the banding seen in certain situations on mirrorless RAW files.

Panasonic do not use PDAF at all on their sensors, keeping the image quality high, but the focus is slow. Without a DSLR mirror, they are forced to use slow CDAF from the sensor.

Same with Fuji medium format for the most part. I wouldn't be swapping the PDAF of a 645Z if I had one for its Fuji equivalent, the GFX 50R, for instance.
interesting, I knew that some pixels were sacrificed for focusing instead of picture taking but I always assumed it would result in negligible deterioration of image quality
Closed Thread