Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 176 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Any more updates on this adapter? I am imagining Sony A9 attached to a 560mm

I contacted the ebay seller about when they hope to market this and they replied "We’re aiming for the new year, please wish us luck"

12-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #242
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
interesting, I knew that some pixels were sacrificed for focusing instead of picture taking but I always assumed it would result in negligible deterioration of image quality
And the more advertised focus points, the worse the problem.

Note that the K-3 III will likely have these out-of-action blindspots on the sensor outside the 25 crosspoints in the central region.
12-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #243
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
While this is true, it's also true that Canon sensors typically don't have the same dynamic range and high ISO performance compared to the Sony sensors before PDAF banding is considered. Seems like there really isn't a one size fits all perfect solution. Practically every sensor setup is going to have its own fair share of design compromises.
That has been changing and the latest sensors seem to have caught up to Sony in DR at least.
12-16-2020, 10:28 PM   #244
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Note, Torge, that it is also a (known) defect to have PDAF autofocus on the sensor.

The more extensive they are, the more of the sensor that is not available for the image, that has to be filled in by an algorithm.

I think Beholder pointed out that because four pixels are used to sense the correct 'colour' in a Bayer array, perhaps 12% of them are affected.

This is the reason for the banding seen in certain situations on mirrorless RAW files.

Panasonic do not use PDAF at all on their sensors, keeping the image quality high, but the focus is slow. Without a DSLR mirror, they are forced to use slow CDAF from the sensor.

Same with Fuji medium format for the most part. I wouldn't be swapping the PDAF of a 645Z if I had one for its Fuji equivalent, the GFX 50R, for instance.
The KP uses a sensor with onboard PDAF. I haven’t ever seen anyone here complain about banding.

12-17-2020, 05:20 AM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That has been changing and the latest sensors seem to have caught up to Sony in DR at least.
The Canon R5/6 have baked-in noise reduction in the low ISO range - I wouldn't be surprised if they are artificially raising the DR that way. Something about "it's only wrong when Pentax does it".

---------- Post added 12-17-20 at 05:25 AM ----------

The KP uses a sensor with onboard PDAF. I haven’t ever seen anyone here complain about banding.
I thought it was mostly the earlier Sonys - in any case Pentax does certainly not use the same amount of PDAF points on the sensor so the problem should be lower?
12-17-2020, 06:19 AM   #246
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Would I care about eye AF in such cases, or would face AF suffice?
I think face would be enough.
12-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #247
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The Canon R5/6 have baked-in noise reduction in the low ISO range - I wouldn't be surprised if they are artificially raising the DR that way. Something about "it's only wrong when Pentax does it".

---------- Post added 12-17-20 at 05:25 AM ----------

I thought it was mostly the earlier Sonys - in any case Pentax does certainly not use the same amount of PDAF points on the sensor so the problem should be lower?
My understanding is that the sensor in the KP is used in other cameras - mostly mirrorless. However I don’t know for sure. I also don’t know how many PDAF on sensor points the KP has.

12-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #248
Veteran Member

That focusing speed does not seems fast but enough for daily use.
12-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #249
Veteran Member

I think that's only somewhat true when you take advantage of their dual gain design (shooting at ISO 400). Otherwise some cameras I feel still have quite noticeable color shifts when pushing shadows.
12-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #250
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know whether that's because it's very limited, the Pentax cover-up algorithm is better or no one's really checked.

Who's our Russian member who does those long exposures in winter? He found IIRC a Canon R series looked liked crap even at ISO 100 when raising the shadows - distinct banding.

The Sonys are infamous for it, along with baked in noise reduction to the point of 'star eating', along with raw compression, that can introduce artefacts as BigMackCam has pointed out, and problems with ultrawides because of the microlenses on the sensor, as Pinholecam has pointed out.

Last edited by clackers; 12-17-2020 at 03:43 PM.
12-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't know whether that's because it's very limited, the Pentax cover-up algorithm is better or no one's really checked.

Who's our Russian member who does those long exposures in winter? He found IIRC a Canon R series looked liked crap even at ISO 100 when raising the shadows - distinct banding.

The Sonys are infamous for it, along with baked in noise reduction to the point of 'star eating', along with raw compression, that can introduce artefacts as BigMackCam has pointed out, and problems with ultrawides because of the microlenses on the sensor, as Pinholecam has pointed out.
Speaking of ultrawides, I found my 12-24 at 24 was lot wider than the Sony FE 24-105. After thinking back on it, I believe the Sony lens corrections are turned on. The Pentax looks far more curved than the Sony which makes me suspect the distortion correction has reduced the width of the 24-105. It is still wider than the FE 28 f2. I also noticed the DA 20-40 at roughly 24 is also wider than the Sony but not quite as wide as the DA 12-24.
12-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #252
Pentaxian

Mu understanding is that the K-70 is the Pentax camera with that feature - at least, that is what DPR says {presumably their editors checked before "printing" this}
QuoteOriginally posted by DPR:
It sports a 24MP CMOS sensor with on-sensor phase detection
https://www.dpreview.com/products/pentax/slrs/pentax_k70
12-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #253
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Mu understanding is that the K-70 is the Pentax camera with that feature - at least, that is what DPR says {presumably their editors checked before "printing" this}

Pentax K-70 Overview: Digital Photography Review
They both do.

Read here the Pentax forums review of the KP. Scroll down to the live view section:
Pentax KP Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews
12-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Pentax K-70 Overview: Digital Photography Review
Ricoh Imaging also say so:
QuoteQuote:
Live View-------Autofocus-------Hybrid AF (Image plane phase-matching and Contrast detection)
Source: Specifications | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING
12-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh Imaging also say so:

Source: Specifications | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING
See above post. They both do.
Closed Thread