Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2020, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 Mark III Specification -- "Aperture Information Record" customization

In the specifications for the K-3 Mark III, the Customization>Settings lists "Aperture Information Record."

Progress report on PENTAX's new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera?RICOH IMAGING

I believe this is a new customization feature -- for example, I didn't see it in the K-1 or KP specs.

Any thoughts as to the function of this feature?

I would guess that it allows the user to record the aperture of manual, non-A, lenses for each shot. Imagine having a block of standard aperture values displayed on the rear LCD touch-screen monitor; the photographer then presses the f/value used in the last shot.

Perhaps this is Ricoh Imaging inserting another little detail that caters to us users of those great vintage Pentax lenses.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-28-2020 at 06:28 PM.
10-28-2020, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Any thoughts as to the function of this feature?
Clumsy translation?

Steve
10-29-2020, 01:29 AM   #3
Unregistered User

My first thought was the setting for using the manual aperture, given the other options before and after "Aperture Recording Information" when I read it earlier this week. I think Steve is right. Clumsy.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-29-2020 at 01:30 AM. Reason: typo
10-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
My first thought was the setting for using the manual aperture, given the other options before and after "Aperture Recording Information" when I read it earlier this week. I think Steve is right. Clumsy.
My thoughts too.

10-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps the mechanical coupling that interfaces lens with the camera is back. You know, the one that every Pentax camera had back in the day, i.e. the non-crippled K mount. We can only dream...
10-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Clumsy translation?
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
My thoughts too.
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I think Steve is right. Clumsy.
Thanks for your comments.

I suppose that a mis-translation is possible, although I've found that the spec sheets (and corresponding camera-menu items) for the various recent Pentax cameras are fairly precise and unambiguous. The Google translation of the Japanese language specifications gives "aperture information recording."

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Perhaps the mechanical coupling that interfaces lens with the camera is back.
I never thought of that possibility.

It's a mystery.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-29-2020 at 08:49 AM.
10-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Perhaps the mechanical coupling that interfaces lens with the camera is back. You know, the one that every Pentax camera had back in the day, i.e. the non-crippled K mount. We can only dream...
That would have been visible on the photos, right? I think there are a few of us that remember what the non-crippled mount looks like.

Steve

10-29-2020, 11:05 PM - 10 Likes   #8
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clumsy translation, yes.

The original Japanese text is 絞り情報記録. 絞り=aperture, 情報=information, 記録 is a noun which could be interpreted like an infinitive verb "to record" or just a simple noun "record".

I think they could have easily used the English word "save" for 記録 as they did for "Save Rotation Information" or they could have used different Japanese word as they used 入力 (input) for "Input Focal Length".
10-29-2020, 11:11 PM - 6 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Clumsy translation, yes.

The original Japanese text is 絞り情報記録. 絞り=aperture, 情報=information, 記録 is a noun which could be interpreted like an infinitive verb "to record" or just a simple noun "record".

I think they could have easily used the English word "save" for 記録 as they did for "Save Rotation Information" or they could have used different Japanese word as they used 入力 (input) for "Input Focal Length".
What a fantastic asset you are to this community, Kwb!
10-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would have been visible on the photos, right? I think there are a few of us that remember what the non-crippled mount looks like.

Steve
I had a talk with the Pentax representative that was one of the driving forces behind the Grandfather Mountain Nature Photography Weekend a number of years ago. He indicated that the aperture cam follower was gone for good.
This was when Pentax was still Pentax, not a name on another company's door, so it's always possible that Ricoh has other plans, but somehow I suspect that we can forget about that as a flight if fancy and not much else.
10-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Clumsy translation, yes.
@kwb, thanks for your very helpful analysis!

So, in general, I still wonder about the function of this customization item.

On my K-3 II, the only menu item related to aperture customization is C4-26 "Using Aperture Ring," which doesn't refer directly to an aperture value or aperture information.

The item in the new specification sheet might mean 'Save Aperture Information' or 'Input Aperture Information'. If so, it might be a replacement for "Using Aperture Ring," although that wording would seem awkward. Alternatively, it could be a new function.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-01-2020 at 06:43 AM.
10-31-2020, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
The item in the new specification sheet might mean 'Save Aperture Information' or 'Input Aperture Information'.
Wild speculation might be a crust thrown to aperture ring lens users to allow input of the set aperture for accurate metering.

Steve
11-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And/or allowing for multi-pattern metering ?
Like Nikon F6 did ?
11-01-2020, 07:16 AM   #14

As I recall one video on using one of the Laowa lens on a Nikon body Nikon had a similar function for entering in the f-stop or the f-stop range of the lens.

Using a dial or 4 way controller to step through sequentially through the choices or setting the individual digits is time consuming and clumsy. A numeric keypad on a touch-screen would be a great step forward in ease of use.
11-01-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
As I recall one video on using one of the Laowa lens on a Nikon body Nikon had a similar function for entering in the f-stop or the f-stop range of the lens.

Using a dial or 4 way controller to step through sequentially through the choices or setting the individual digits is time consuming and clumsy. A numeric keypad on a touch-screen would be a great step forward in ease of use.
That (aperture range limiting) would be unique. Only allow the aperture setting to be set automatically between certain values before either an iso or shutter speed change kicks in or warning appears for limiting diffraction issues could get lots of interesting comments in reviews