Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
That (aperture range limiting) would be unique. Only allow the aperture setting to be set automatically between certain values before either an iso or shutter speed change kicks in or warning appears for limiting diffraction issues could get lots of interesting comments in reviews
Indeed...sounds cool. Sort of like range limits on auto ISO.

11-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think we will all be surprised with the specs on this new one
11-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #18
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too think Ricoh is holding all their cards on this one close to their chest, so to speak. If there was no more to it than what has already been previewed, than I think we would have full, complete specs by now. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
11-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I think we will all be surprised with the specs on this new one
Probably, yes

11-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #20
Pentaxian

They're certainly maintaining the air of mystery about this camera for as long as possible.
11-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too think Ricoh is holding all their cards on this one close to their chest, so to speak. If there was no more to it than what has already been previewed, than I think we would have full, complete specs by now. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
That would be nice but I think that this is pretty much it. It doesnt need anything else it just needs to work really well.
11-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I had a talk with the Pentax representative that was one of the driving forces behind the Grandfather Mountain Nature Photography Weekend a number of years ago. He indicated that the aperture cam follower was gone for good.
This was when Pentax was still Pentax, not a name on another company's door, so it's always possible that Ricoh has other plans, but somehow I suspect that we can forget about that as a flight if fancy and not much else.
I personally think when the cameras are getting to the pricepoints they are the excuses for crippling the mount are getting a bit silly in my eyes. I think people who spend top dollar should be able to use their entire collection to their fullest extent. But yes I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. The only camera I could see maybe decrippling the mount would be some special full frame camera like with Nikon.

11-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #23
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I personally think when the cameras are getting to the pricepoints they are the excuses for crippling the mount are getting a bit silly in my eyes. I think people who spend top dollar should be able to use their entire collection to their fullest extent. But yes I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. The only camera I could see maybe decrippling the mount would be some special full frame camera like with Nikon.
Too late for that, Ricoh will not bring back the mechanical linkage for the old K and M mount lenses. The linkage hasn’t been in a body for over a decade and would be like insisting Canon now put FD lens compatibility in their mounts. Just be glad the older lenses are still usable, but the future is in electronic lens controls.
11-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Too late for that, Ricoh will not bring back the mechanical linkage for the old K and M mount lenses. The linkage hasn’t been in a body for over a decade and would be like insisting Canon now put FD lens compatibility in their mounts. Just be glad the older lenses are still usable, but the future is in electronic lens controls.
I mean, it's not too late for that objectively. They could put in the mechanical linkage whenever they want. Will they? Probably not. But it's not like putting in FD compatibility for EF because they're entirely different mounts with different register distances.
11-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote

Not even at these prices. It would cost a leg and an arm, even now.

A pity, I know...
11-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I resisted the urge to bump the old thread, but felt it should be posted here:
crippled K mount - PentaxForums.com

It explains why a de-crippled K-mount would be nice to have, which some are probably wondering reading this thread.
11-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The linkage hasn’t been in a body for over a decade and would be like insisting Canon now put FD lens compatibility in their mounts. Just be glad the older lenses are still usable, but the future is in electronic lens controls.
Strangely, Nikon offers full backward compatibility on the Df and significant backward compatibility for all AIS back to the mid-1970s on their upper tier models. Even stranger...they still sell some of those manual focus lenses.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-12-2020 at 10:26 AM. Reason: corrected model name
11-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Strangely, Nikon offers full backward compatibility on the dF and significant backward compatibility for all AIS back to the mid-1970s on their upper tier models. Even stranger...they still sell some of those manual focus lenses.

Steve
When Nikon introduced autofocus, they did so with their existing F mount. They've added electronic connections, but the physical mount has remained the same since 1958, making compatibility easier to maintain. Nikon only moved to a new mount with their Z-series mirrorless cameras.

Canon, on the other hand, ditched their FD mount in favor of the all-electronic EF mount when they started introducing autofocus in their film SLRs. The new mount's wider diameter and shorter flange distance, in addition to its different bayonet mount, required an adapter for FD lenses to work on the then-new EF bodies.
11-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
When Nikon introduced autofocus, they did so with their existing F mount. They've added electronic connections, but the physical mount has remained the same since 1958, making compatibility easier to maintain. Nikon only moved to a new mount with their Z-series mirrorless cameras.
My point was that Nikon offered (and continues to offer) full backward capability to 1958 on the Df even though such had been absent from the line for a long time. Part of the reason why there is such complaint here regarding the crippled mount is that the mechanism is actually very compact and incredibly simply and there is no clear rational why it was removed. Users might be happier if stop-down metering worked better, but it remains a cludge.

Steve
11-10-2020, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
They're certainly maintaining the air of mystery about this camera for as long as possible.
Well, it's a few months yet until CP+