11-16-2020, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
posting photos is only one of the possible beneficial ways to add to the forums

as I said before, there are many ways to contribute should you choose to do so

if you only want to post photos fine

but even then there are many ways to post photos, perhaps for critique, lens sample threads, contest threads,

perhaps you can share your experiences with astro ?

whatever you choose is best for you
I'm sure there are many areas where I could comment, but right now most would be along the lines of "that's cool," or "I agree." I try to make comments that add more substance to the thread, I.e. Quality over quantity. And if I ever get some astro experience, I'll be sure to share it as well.
11-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #108
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I'm sure there are many areas where I could comment, but right now most would be along the lines of "that's cool," or "I agree." I try to make comments that add more substance to the thread, I.e. Quality over quantity. And if I ever get some astro experience, I'll be sure to share it as well.
to each his own of course

but engaging in some threads would allow you to post photos, not comments

Photo Scavenger Hunt Game Continued - Part II! - PentaxForums.com

"I Spy" Photo Challenge - PentaxForums.com

Alphabet Race (a very quick game) - PentaxForums.com

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - PentaxForums.com

and many more

but if that
QuoteQuote:
isn't your cup of tea
no problem at all

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-16-2020 at 12:39 PM.
11-17-2020, 03:46 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know about the whole lens contest thing. I think the FA 77 is a very nice lens, but the idea that it came out on top last time versus lenses like the FA *85, FA *200 macro, and A* 135 really surprised me. It just isn't at that level, in my opinion.

11-17-2020, 05:35 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know about the whole lens contest thing. I think the FA 77 is a very nice lens, but the idea that it came out on top last time versus lenses like the FA *85, FA *200 macro, and A* 135 really surprised me. It just isn't at that level, in my opinion.
I think that goes to show that optical perfection isn't the end all be all for many users, on top of the usual caveats of a popularity contest - expensive/rare lenses are less known so they get less votes, and it's impossible to get people (much less a whole forum) to agree on how to weigh the impact of the different qualities of a lens on its "bestness".

It's the same reason why lens reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt... and for the aggregate score one might want to grab the entire shaker
11-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I think that goes to show that optical perfection isn't the end all be all for many users, on top of the usual caveats of a popularity contest - expensive/rare lenses are less known so they get less votes, and it's impossible to get people (much less a whole forum) to agree on how to weigh the impact of the different qualities of a lens on its "bestness".

It's the same reason why lens reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt... and for the aggregate score one might want to grab the entire shaker
Personally - since I am not an artist, I use lenses at smaller apertures because I am more interested in the view than in the bokeh - I now use zoom lenses almost exclusively because they provide me with more utility, but others think differently from how I do, and I am interested in how others think.
11-17-2020, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

I just think more people have used and seen photos from the FA limiteds than a lens like the FA 200 macro or even the DFA *85. People tend to vote what they are familiar with.

11-17-2020, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

I just think more people have used and seen photos from the FA limiteds than a lens like the FA 200 macro or even the DFA *85. People tend to vote what they are familiar with.
I, for one, feel more comfortable voting for something I know something about rather than something that sounds nice when others describe it. It's the concrete over the abstract as far as I'm concerned.
11-18-2020, 04:50 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Certainly with both of those, I was agreeing with you . The "optical perfection" argument was mostly about the FA* 85 - while it sells used for about as much as the 77 costs new in these parts, it's still not eye-wateringly expensive and it's also got a very good name, so I'd expect that between that one and the 77 rendering would have more of an impact.
11-21-2020, 03:32 AM   #115

For the third time I’m writing here, in complete confusion as to how to make a valid post.
11-21-2020, 05:56 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by preposterushope Quote
For the third time I’m writing here, in complete confusion as to how to make a valid post.
I gave up on valid posts a long time ago

---------- Post added 11-21-20 at 05:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I, for one, feel more comfortable voting for something I know something about rather than something that sounds nice when others describe it. It's the concrete over the abstract as far as I'm concerned.
I am with you on this. As much as I would love a DA* 85mm, I have never used one so will probably be voting for a 35mm limited. The only problem with that is there was talk of a prize of the winning lens, it would be nice if it was something I didn't already have
11-21-2020, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am with you on this. As much as I would love a DA* 85mm, I have never used one so will probably be voting for a 35mm limited. The only problem with that is there was talk of a prize of the winning lens, it would be nice if it was something I didn't already have
Yeah, I don't really feel comfortable voting for a lens if I cannot back that vote with my own images. On the other hand, that means I would be voting for a lens I already have... but if the, say, 77 wins, I'd happily forfeit my place in the raffle so someone else can experience it. I *try* to be selfless with these things .
11-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #118
Pentaxian

Different people have different standards. I, for one, like a lens that focuses "OK" and renders the scene well, a lens like my DA 18-135mm or a DA* 11-18mm, instead of a "perfect" lens that I would have to "lug around", a lens like the DFA* 50mm. We shall see how this all works out next month.

In the meanwhile, the contest this month is collecting something like 72 entries per day, and has definitely increased activity.
11-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Different people have different standards. I, for one, like a lens that focuses "OK" and renders the scene well, a lens like my DA 18-135mm or a DA* 11-18mm, instead of a "perfect" lens that I would have to "lug around", a lens like the DFA* 50mm. We shall see how this all works out next month.

In the meanwhile, the contest this month is collecting something like 72 entries per day, and has definitely increased activity.
I would imagine the 18-135 will get quite a few votes. it's my lens of choice for tomorrows dawn dog walk. Today's sunset walk was the 10-17mm fish eye, which I also love. We are lucky, there are so many stunning lenses without having to venture into megabucks territory, something I believe often gets overlooked
11-21-2020, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would imagine the 18-135 will get quite a few votes. it's my lens of choice for tomorrows dawn dog walk. Today's sunset walk was the 10-17mm fish eye, which I also love. We are lucky, there are so many stunning lenses without having to venture into megabucks territory, something I believe often gets overlooked
I don't think the workhorses will get many votes. I love my 28-105 but I probably wouldn't consider it as a pinnacle of Pentax craftsmanship. First recommendation for a K-1 kit? You bet it, no second thoughts there whatsoever. But... it's a workhorse. It's dependable, and just so unremarkable, despite being an unsung hero of many trips for many people, I am certain.

But the key word is "unsung". It's not the lens that says "woah, Pentax has amazing glass". It's the lens that saves you when you don't know what to bring. Something something, not the hero we want but definitely the one we need .