Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Too small a sample pool unless folks are fibbing in order to skew the result. Surely no one would consider that...........

In other news, I've never touched a A*200/4 macro but declare it to be the greatest lens of all time.

oh, and this /s

edit: didn't even see Serkevan's post. Looks like the 200 Macro is 2/1 over the 600.
We won't know the rules until December.
I, myself, wouldn't vote for a lens unless I already have it or have a very good reason for wanting it.

10-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
perhaps not as crazy as before

5 posts a day is all that is needed to earn a raffle ticket

no advantage gained by more than 5 per day

personally I won't be doing anything different
I have already exceeded five posts, and I haven't even had lunch yet, but if Adam follows the pattern of recent give-aways, posts like this that are about the give-away won't count.
10-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

plenty of opportunities to post

welcoming new members

posting photos for critique or fun

taking part in the various " game " threads

posting reviews

start a thread

helping out with those asking for help - especially anyone seeking to buy a camera or lens
10-29-2020, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So each year we get this giveaway event rewarding people who can produce as many crap posts as they can in a short time. As if we haven't enough of that in the News and Rumors section. This rewards the opportunists instead of long term users with high quality posts who now get frustrated by this iniquity and perhaps reduce their input or even quit.

What should happen is to organize a poll in which all members can vote which posters consistently had high quality contributions last year (in their view) with helpful information, photos, or sharing tidbits from their projects they put a lot of work into. The winners not only get some highly valued hardware but they can also feel proud of the appreciation from this forum. A positive side-effect is also that another person is awarded instead of harvesting an advantage for yourself.

As an example, my personal vote goes to @Swift1 (Colton Allen) because despite the difficult circumstances he lives in he is able to share high quality photos everybody can enjoy, and @photoptimist who consistently comes up with useful and surprising info, and @The Squirrel Mafia with enthusiastic reports how to use RawTherapee.
There are many more and everybody has his own preferences, but I think an approach like this will be much more advantageous for Pentaxforums in the long term.

10-29-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
So each year we get this giveaway event rewarding people who can produce as many crap posts as they can in a short time. As if we haven't enough of that in the News and Rumors section. This rewards the opportunists instead of long term users with high quality posts who now get frustrated by this iniquity and perhaps reduce their input or even quit.
This comment is totally "out of bounds".
I routinely produce five posts in a day.
I have already reached four posts today not related to the upcoming contest, and my wife just called me for lunch.
10-29-2020, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

So each year we get this giveaway event rewarding people who can produce as many crap posts as they can in a short time. . . .
I wonder which of the following suggestions for posts fit your definition of a " crap post " ?

QuoteQuote:
welcoming new members

posting photos for critique or fun

taking part in the various " game " threads

posting reviews

start a thread

helping out with those asking for help - especially anyone seeking to buy a camera or lens
Read more at: Get ready for a November giveaway & December lens tournament! - PentaxForums.com

BTW no disagreement with this idea for a future contest:

QuoteQuote:
. . . a poll in which all members can vote which posters consistently had high quality contributions last year (in their view) with helpful information, photos, or sharing tidbits from their projects they put a lot of work into. The winners not only get some highly valued hardware but they can also feel proud of the appreciation from this forum. A positive side-effect is also that another person is awarded instead of harvesting an advantage for yourself.

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-29-2020 at 10:00 AM.
10-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did a forum member win a newly announced K 3 iii in a previous contest? Or did I imagine that, obviously they haven't recieved it yet.

10-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Did a forum member win a newly announced K 3 iii in a previous contest? Or did I imagine that, obviously they haven't recieved it yet.
yes

there was a series of contests for the 100th Anniversary and the last contest's prize was the new ASP-C camera
10-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
What if the lens that won, is F*600 or FA*600.

*grins*
That or the A* 200/4 macro and you will have people falling over themselves to win it. Personally I am a huge fan of the A* 400/28 and don't know what I would do with a 600/4 other than see what thing in the sky look like with the 1.4X-L converter hanging off of the back giving me an 840/5.6. The A*200/4 macro would be an interesting beast to play with (anyone want to loan me one so I can see how it does with astro?)
10-29-2020, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

As an example, my personal vote goes to @Swift1 (Colton Allen) because despite the difficult circumstances he lives in he is able to share high quality photos everybody can enjoy, and @photoptimist who consistently comes up with useful and surprising info, and @The Squirrel Mafia with enthusiastic reports how to use RawTherapee.
There are many more and everybody has his own preferences, but I think an approach like this will be much more advantageous for Pentaxforums in the long term.
Wow! What a super nice comment to see as I drink my morning coffee.
Thank you so much, it made my day
10-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Wow! What a super nice comment to see as I drink my morning coffee.
Thank you so much, it made my day
Hi Colton. I don't often post on this forum but I frequently visit the Pentax Film SLR Discussion section and enjoy your photos (and the photos of others) because of your minimal approach and the colors. I'm not sure you would like to work with a digital camera though (if you win one).
10-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Hi Colton. I don't often post on this forum but I frequently visit the Pentax Film SLR Discussion section and enjoy your photos (and the photos of others) because of your minimal approach and the colors. I'm not sure you would like to work with a digital camera though (if you win one).
I would be thrilled to win a new digital camera. I definitely went through a long period of prefering to shoot only film, but earlier this year came back around to digital.
Unfortunately, I think my shooting days are over, whether film or digital. My health condition has reached the point that I am no longer able to go out and take photos.
Pretty much all the photos I have shared since around May are from my archives.
I have more recently been sharing some of digital images here,
The K10D Club! - PentaxForums.com
10-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our webmaster is awesome! Good luck everyone.
10-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This comment is totally "out of bounds".
I routinely produce five posts in a day.
I have already reached four posts today not related to the upcoming contest, and my wife just called me for lunch.
I too during these types of events try to effort post, but I think to the original point is that there are people who will just crap post or split posts to increase their post count adding little value. At the same time with a little bit of effort one can get to 5 quality posts a day with ease.
10-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
. . . At the same time with a little bit of effort one can get to 5 quality posts a day with ease.
unlike previous contests, there is no advantage gained in this contest by posting more than 5 posts a day

5 posts or 25 posts a day, you only get one raffle ticket per day

this may help with the problem some are worried about