Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #166
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,198
Could we expect more than three options for that top dial?
Photo
Live View
Video

I feel like it's a dial that could have been a button.
Seems like wasted space.

Any chance there could be more options upon release?

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 12:21 PM ----------

At least the video option is not on the power switch... looking at you K-70.

11-17-2020, 12:29 PM - 2 Likes   #167
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,283
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Could we expect more than three options for that top dial?
Photo
Live View
Video

I feel like it's a dial that could have been a button.
Seems like wasted space.

Any chance there could be more options upon release?
I don't think it's logically possible to have more options. Unless they invent completely new modes of photography. Hybrid and tethered could be options I guess.
The dial is imho a great solution. The camera can only be in one mode at a time so a dial that clearly sets the mode is a good idea. The previous live view button plus movie switch is messy and results in one extra button/switch.
11-17-2020, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #168
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 660
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
K-3 Mark III (in the centre) compared to K-1 (on the left) and K-3 II (on the right).


Source: Pentax K-3 III: new pics and size comparisons breakfastographer

It seems the mount flange is positioned higher on the K-3 Mark III than on the two other cameras. In other words, the volume under the mirror box seems to be bigger.

This might be linked to the new autofocus module.
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The K-3 III is photographed at close range with a wide angle lens, the others at distance. Makes the K-3 III look bloated. Se how the grip opens outward, that's not what it's like. Those photographs give the wrong impression of the camera due to lens choosen for the photographs.
I think it's a bit of both. I first tried to work the image of the silver K-3 III into shape, but the black one seemed to have less distortion overall, or at least seemed better aligned.

So yes, the lens used for the photos makes a difference, everything at the front of the camera looks bigger than in the "beauty" shots (for lack of a better word) of the K-1 and K-3 II. However, if you go to this article, there is a picture of a K-3 III next to the K-3 II in the same, angled orientation, and it does seem the K-3 III has a bit of a bigger "beard" (can that be used for hipster marketing?) with broader cheek pouches and the mount set higher. Maybe I'll rework that image to show them to scale based on the size of the mount.
11-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #169
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,198
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I don't think it's logically possible to have more options. Unless they invent completely new modes of photography. Hybrid and tethered could be options I guess.
I don't know why, it just seems empty to me :P
Wouldn't it be less bulky/costly to just put those modes on a button and one could cycle through and observe the mode from the top/rear LCD?
Sorta like the AF Mode button on the side of the camera...

11-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #170
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,283
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
it does seem the K-3 III has a bit of a bigger "beard"
Absolutely. We've been talking cross purposes. It's clear from the bottom view that he mirror box potrusion comes all the way down to the underside of the camera. The K-3 mirror box does not come down to the base. Also the mount looks slightly shifted upwards.
11-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,029
From the photo on page 1, it looks Pentax uses a convex mirror? Is it how they make the OVF larger on a small APC-S camera? If it is true, does it mean the viewfinder is not necessary as bright?
Also I wonder how did they make the AF sensor work correctly under the convex mirror.

Maybe I am wrong. It is only the focusing screen showing in the magic mirror.

It looks very strange in the photo: a focusing screen is flipped down and covers the shutter
11-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #172
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 660
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
However, if you go to this article, there is a picture of a K-3 III next to the K-3 II in the same, angled orientation, and it does seem the K-3 III has a bit of a bigger "beard" (can that be used for hipster marketing?) with broader cheek pouches and the mount set higher. Maybe I'll rework that image to show them to scale based on the size of the mount.
Done.
11-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #173
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 6,346
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
(...) if you go to this article, there is a picture of a K-3 III next to the K-3 II in the same, angled orientation, and it does seem the K-3 III has a bit of a bigger "beard" (can that be used for hipster marketing?) with broader cheek pouches and the mount set higher. Maybe I'll rework that image to show them to scale based on the size of the mount.
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Done.
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Absolutely. We've been talking cross purposes. It's clear from the bottom view that he mirror box potrusion comes all the way down to the underside of the camera. The K-3 mirror box does not come down to the base. Also the mount looks slightly shifted upwards.
Indeed, it's pretty obvious in this one. Thank you @Breakfastographer.

11-17-2020, 03:50 PM - 4 Likes   #174
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,807
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I wouldn't argue that an articulating screen is advantageous for some macro photography, but we've many fine macro photographers in these forums who performed their work without one. The K-3III is unlikely to be any less capable for macro than the cameras they used.
Mornings with wet gut
Dream of refconverter-A
No flippy future

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-17-2020 at 04:11 PM.
11-17-2020, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,977
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mornings with wet gut
Meh... makes us appreciate the result all the more...

I could drive at a steady 70mph without cruise control too. Cruise is easier, for sure... but I don't need it
11-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #176
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 198
The size of the K-3 iii is written in the Spec by Ricoh.

"Approx. 134.5mm (W) x103.5mm (H) x 73.5mm (D) (excluding protrusions)"

Last edited by UlrichSchiegg; 11-17-2020 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added dimensions
11-17-2020, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #177
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,308
QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
Ok. Your poetic approach is much amusing..
Hey, even Basho (who popularised the form) wrote haiku that were meant to be humorous or ridiculous.
Unfortunately my poem lacked a season word, so it's not traditional even though it followed 575 syllables. I don't think breaking wind is a season word...
11-17-2020, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #178
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 660
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
From the photo on page 1, it looks Pentax uses a convex mirror? Is it how they make the OVF larger on a small APC-S camera? If it is true, does it mean the viewfinder is not necessary as bright?
  1. The mirror, whatever shape it is, would need to receive all the light that would otherwise fall on the sensor, in order to give 100% coverage in the viewfinder, which the K-3 III has. With the viewfinder having 100% coverage of what the sensor sees, and the camera having a prism (rather than pentamirrors), one would hope the only reasons for losing light will be to feed the autofocus and metering sensors.
  2. As stated as part of the product introduction event, the viewfinder will be brighter than previous Pentax DSLRs. A direct comparison was made to the KP, and it was implied by the presenter the K-3 III's viewfinder was significantly brighter, although the Pentax engineer stated it would be "nearly 10%" brighter, which doesn't sound like a huge difference.


---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 05:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Hey, even Basho (who popularised the form) wrote haiku that were meant to be humorous or ridiculous.
Unfortunately my poem lacked a season word, so it's not traditional even though it followed 575 syllables. I don't think breaking wind is a season word...
Wind occurs mostly in the fall... and there it is again!
11-18-2020, 02:54 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,126
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
  1. the viewfinder will be brighter than previous Pentax DSLRs. A direct comparison was made to the KP, and it was implied by the presenter the K-3 III's viewfinder was significantly brighter, although the Pentax engineer stated it would be "nearly 10%" brighter, which doesn't sound like a huge difference.
[COLOR="Silver"]
Oh I don't know, if you add 10% to your exposure for example, the difference is significant. Adding 10% through physical changes is good going, also, there is a point at which a viewfinder could be deemed too bright. I never had a problem with the brightness on any of my previous cameras, so adding 10% onto the KP, well, I'm impressed

Re flippy screen for macro, how good is image sync for close up stuff? Maybe they figured that was a better solution!
11-18-2020, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #180
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,676
If the difference is "noticeable", meaning you can detect a difference in side-by-side or consecutive viewing, then it is significant.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, camera, charger, colour, drive, gps, grip, iii, k-3, k-3 mark iii, k1, light, mark, mirror, model, options, pentax, pentax k-3 mark, pentax news, pentax rumors, pictures, post, season, sense, sensor, video, viewfinder, wind
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 Mark III Specification -- "Aperture Information Record" customization c.a.m Pentax News and Rumors 41 11-16-2020 04:59 AM
R03010 = K-new was registered by FCC on 27 July 2020 Mistral75 Pentax News and Rumors 238 08-18-2020 03:55 AM
Going into Micro Four Thirds - I'm getting an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III bwDraco Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 120 03-17-2020 01:26 PM
Additional APS-C prototype pictures released by Ricoh FozzFoster Pentax News and Rumors 6 10-02-2019 11:49 AM
Which stores will print your pictures with no additional post-processing? stainsor Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 14 11-08-2011 11:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top