Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2020, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I very much doubt it. It's annoying, I know, but it's been that way since the K20D was retired. I suspect it's entirely intentional... Whilst we might wish to use our existing grips, that doesn't help the company's revenue and profits. Without sales of a new grip, they'd have to hike the price of the camera a little to compensate...
You can be sure it isn't the same - they announced a new battery grip.
The camera shape is slightly different, so they have a technical reason. Pentax grips are better fitted than other brands', and the new battery grip also have the joystick.

CP+2020 ?????????PENTAX?? ---Introducing PENTAX products currently in development--- - YouTube

11-13-2020, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You can be sure it isn't the same - they announced a new battery grip.
The camera shape is slightly different, so they have a technical reason. Pentax grips are better fitted than other brands', and the new battery grip also have the joystick.
Thanks, Alex... and I'd forgotten the joystick would need to be replicated on the grip
11-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I generally like to charge batteries outside of the device, just in case a battery fails - but USB charging is great if you're going away somewhere and just want to top the camera up after a day's shooting... plus, plenty of cars offer USB charging points now, so again this is a handy facility
Absolutely; especially if you have a relatively recent Android smartphone, thus the same type of port.
11-13-2020, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In one of the videos they did mention physically shaving a clay model until the ergonomics felt right. I adore my silver KP but the silver K3iii (along with all the K3s & the K1) remind me of late 90s film cameras. I think it is because of the curves in the top plate. The KP has a flat top running at a sharp 90° to the front plate. This feels more modern (much like Fuji & Sony). When I saw the black K3iii I thought it was the same. If I am ever in the market for one, I will be going for black

11-13-2020, 07:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a fantastic looking camera
11-13-2020, 07:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
In one of the videos they did mention physically shaving a clay model until the ergonomics felt right. I adore my silver KP but the silver K3iii (along with all the K3s & the K1) remind me of late 90s film cameras. I think it is because of the curves in the top plate. The KP has a flat top running at a sharp 90° to the front plate. This feels more modern (much like Fuji & Sony). When I saw the black K3iii I thought it was the same. If I am ever in the market for one, I will be going for black
I think I'd like to see the return of the sloped top (645Z style, for those who can't remember the MZ-S). This could work well on a larger camera (and with a top LCD).
11-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Wonder if it'll take the K3II battery grip? I'm fed up having to buy a new one for each model when I'm sure that's it possible with just a little forethought to make them fit all current bodies.
The K-3 & K3ii used battery grip D-BG5, the Kiii uses D-BG8

11-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #23
Unregistered User

The silver version reminds me of my old MZ-5. The black one does not atract me, I miss the shiny black of the LX and Super A. But to be honest: do not judge the camera by the cover. I am curious about the viewfinder, the rest will be as any Pentax: stellar image quality.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-13-2020 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Ooooh, those typos again. And putting a smiley in.
11-13-2020, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean the way it extends back slightly? If so, it should make for a more comfortable shooting position, with less chance of smudging the main screen with your nose. Those shooting with their left eye - as I sometimes do, when I get occasional problems with my right - could also appreciate it, as it might allow easier access to the joystick and other rear controls...
Perhaps they need a flippy VF to flip out for left eyed shooters! Lol.
11-13-2020, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Sooo ... they're releasing a silver version? That means it's nearing the end of it's life cycle ...
11-13-2020, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #26
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if we will ever see another dark grey version like the K3 Prestige Edition?
11-13-2020, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do you mean the way it extends back slightly?
No, I mean the way it's articulated as two intersecting pieces with slightly different design language. As I said it's a nitpick from someone who spends all day getting paid for thinking about how forms come together.

Writing this I realise it might also be related to my other post about CAD vs clay (simplified) The form that the hot shoe is attached to looks arrived at through CAD. Not only that but it has a positive form language as opposed to the rest of the body that looks largely negative ie. arrived at through the removal of matter from a block.

There is nothing inherently wrong in combining the two expressions I'm just not to keen on the result in this particular case.

Again, nice looking camera though!
11-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
No there will probably be a different battery grip, compare the bottom of the Mark III vs your K-3 MkII. The shape of the bottom plate is different on the Mark III vs the Mark II. Plus the buttons are in a different location and the Mark III battery grip will have a joystick.
It uses the same battery though!
....It uses the same battery though!

Ah! That makes it much better!
11-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #29
Pentaxian

It'll be interesting to see whether this new model - with all its extra electrickery and performance - draws more power, or benefits from newer components and circuits that are more efficient...
We already know it has a CIPA rating of "approx. 800 images" and "playback time approx. 250 minutes".
11-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
We already know it has a CIPA rating of "approx. 800 images" and "playback time approx. 250 minutes".
The K-3II having:
"Number of recordable images: Approx.: 720 images
Playback time: Approx. 370 minutes"