Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #286
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ojutan Quote
When GPS is not on board
I keep seeing this claim, always without source. In fact, one source claims the exact opposite...

11-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #287
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
I keep seeing this claim, always without source. In fact, one source claims the exact opposite...
Look a the magnesium shell. Where would the GPS antenna be? (it has to be on top, 'looking at the sky', without any metallic surface above it.)

Source: Product Stories of New APS-C "K-3 Mark III" Vol.6 (Wakashiro) | PENTAX official, already shown here: [New product story on 27 November] Product Stories of New APS-C
11-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Look a the magnesium shell. Where would the GPS antenna be? (it has to be on top, 'looking at the sky', without any metallic surface above it.)
That information is circumstantial, and more importantly, completely new information released TODAY. Claims of it not having GPS have been floating around for weeks now. One person even claimed to know that GPS will only be possible via a bluetooth link to a smartphone (yes, oddly specific, isn't it). I have not seen that in any of the officially published info. In fact, all the serious reporting I've seen has expressly noted the ambiguity over GPS, or not touched on it at all.
11-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #289
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
(...) Claims of it not having GPS have been floating around for weeks now. One person even claimed to know that GPS will only be possible via a bluetooth link to a smartphone (yes, oddly specific, isn't it). I have not seen that in any of the officially published info. In fact, all the serious reporting I've seen has expressly noted the ambiguity over GPS, or not touched on it at all.
For one month actually, since the 27th of October, when Ricoh Imaging released the following list of specifications:

Progress report on PENTAX's new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera|RICOH IMAGING

People noticed then that the only mention of GPS was in the Playback \ Playback View subsection, same as the KP, which has no GPS: 'GPS information (latitude, longitude, altitude, Coordinated Universal Time)'.

The Pentax K-1 Mark II's specifications include in addition a Capture Settings \ GPS subsection and a complete GPS/Electronic Compass section.

11-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #290
Pentaxian

For one month actually, since the 27th of October, when Ricoh Imaging released the following list of specifications:

Progress report on PENTAX's new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera?RICOH IMAGING

People noticed then that the only mention of GPS was in the Playback \ Playback View subsection, same as the KP, which has no GPS: 'GPS information (latitude, longitude, altitude, Coordinated Universal Time)'.
As did I, very publicly, but again, that's far from conclusive. Did anybody assume the specs were necessarily complete? I hope not - the meaning of "progress report" should be fairly clear.
11-27-2020, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #291
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Again, where would the GPS antenna be?

Abductive reasoning - Wikipedia
11-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #292
Veteran Member

Again, where would the GPS antenna be?

Abductive reasoning - Wikipedia
Pentax needs to allow manual input for GPS data, that way we can just use phones or other GPS sources rather than the O-GPS unit.

11-27-2020, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #293
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ojutan Quote
won't pay the equal amout to 200.000 yen for that. When GPS is not on board then its far too expensive, given the fact that the K1 has GPS and it's priced at 300.000 or some more, about 2400 Euro. 1500 is far too much...
Also have to mention that the USB ports of the IST.DL2 and the K50 is the biggest weakness in that cam. It just breaks when used often. Hope Pentax will fix that in the K3 mark 3 too... at least the USB 3.2 / type c plug will give the ability for a quick charge which wasn't possible with the micro USB2 port
Seems you are having some issues with a camera that isn't out yet.
Just be patient and wait until it is available and thoroughly tested by users, then come back and make some comments.
11-27-2020, 09:28 AM - 3 Likes   #294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clearly, it comes out of of the stills/video/LV dial like a tiny antenna with radar dish!

I cannot believe that we're going to have another "pull out flippy screen" moment in the same camera
11-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #295
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Pentax needs to allow manual input for GPS data, that way we can just use phones or other GPS sources rather than the O-GPS unit.
Manual input?
The GR III can get location data from a smartphone, via Bluetooth. Unfortunately I managed to drop mine while attempting to see how well it works, so if anyone else could test...
11-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Manual input?
The GR III can get location data from a smartphone, via Bluetooth. Unfortunately I managed to drop mine while attempting to see how well it works, so if anyone else could test...
Does that allow for Astrotracer use? I would guess it's only for geotagging without O-GPS, right?
11-27-2020, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Does that allow for Astrotracer use? I would guess it's only for geotagging without O-GPS, right?
No, Astrotracer cannot work (as you can't get the camera's direction). I'm fine with geotagging.
11-27-2020, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
where would the GPS antenna be?
I am thinking that the cut-out at the hand grip would be a possible location for the camera's RF (radio frequency) functions, including WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS. About one-quarter of the area at the face of the grip would be required for the self-timer lamp/infrared (IR) remote control receiver, while the remaining volume and area could be used for an integrated RF module, including antennas at the face or along the edges of the opening. These components are relatively small, so I think they'd fit at that location. Embedded GPS patch antennas, for example, can be 18 mm square, but they're somewhat directional. It's also possible to use one multi-band antenna to cover the GPS reception and WiFi/Bluetooth.

The cut-out is larger than seen in the shells of other magnesium-body Pentax cameras, and it's there for a purpose. We also see several screw-down points, which suggests a single assembly or circuit board. A location for RF modules and antennas makes sense to me.

Edit: A possible issue with the relatively large cut-out is the 'flex' that could be introduced at the hand-grip. However, I assume that the rubber-like material that covers the grip will be sufficiently stiff. Some sort of embedded polycarbonate panel or mesh might help to reinforce it.

GPS antennas do not necessarily need a 'skyward' view, but they cannot be shielded totally by metal. Consider a typical smartphone -- the GPS function works quite well regardless of how the phone is oriented.

Of course, I'm not a camera designer and I don't know whether GPS will be integrated. We'll have to wait for more information or the actual launch.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-27-2020 at 11:09 AM.
11-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Source: Product Stories of New APS-C "K-3 Mark III" Vol.6 (Wakashiro) | PENTAX official, already shown here: [New product story on 27 November] Product Stories of New APS-C
Could the GPS antenna be incorporated as part of the top LCD panel, since it is always looking up except in portrait orientation?
11-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #300
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Could the GPS antenna be incorporated as part of the top LCD panel, since it is always looking up except in portrait orientation?
An antenna in the vicinity of an electronically modulated optical device and its electrodes?