Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 434 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2020, 11:00 AM - 2 Likes   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
like, in a knob on top of a camera
I believe that the mode selector knob already doubles up as a snuff box...

12-01-2020, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #332
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
So ... that for the British market then ...?
12-02-2020, 12:57 AM   #333
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
You mean other nations don't take snuff while photographing? I am surprised....nay, shocked!
12-02-2020, 01:33 AM   #334
dbs
Pentaxian

You mean other nations don't take snuff while photographing? I am surprised....nay, shocked!
Hard to say .... really ..

12-02-2020, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
I think it would get on well in the scandinavian market as well.
12-02-2020, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #336
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I think it would get on well in the scandinavian market as well.
I should be a bit bigger if you mean that stuff people buys shiploads from Sweden..
12-02-2020, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #337
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I should be a bit bigger if you mean that stuff people buys shiploads from Sweden..
Dials the size of a snusdosa would certainly make it easier to use the camera when wearing gloves.

12-02-2020, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What have I done? - I feel I should appologise to Mistral, and keep my random thoughts to myself in future!
12-02-2020, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking that the Spanish market version will sub the snuff box for a small corkscrew - gotta keep that wine flowing.
Either that, or a pillow for proper siestas in the middle of the photoshoot.
12-02-2020, 04:22 AM - 3 Likes   #340
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'm thinking that the Spanish market version will sub the snuff box for a small corkscrew - gotta keep that wine flowing.
Either that, or a pillow for proper siestas in the middle of the photoshoot.
Well, the grip could double as a hip flask, and one could screw off the third e-dial to take a sip.
12-02-2020, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
My Norwegian cousins ( some of them were huge ) dearly loved their snuse so make it LARGE .
12-02-2020, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #342

gps is gone

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It may be a matter of production cost, but I tend to think not. The K-3III doesn't exactly look like a camera where Ricoh has cut many (any?) corners in order to save money. I suspect, instead, it may be a conscious design decision to couple GPS functionality from an accessory unit or smartphone. I'm leaning towards the latter... especially given the Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity. Such a connection would likely result in much less drain on the battery than in-camera GPS. It's all conjecture, of course, until the camera is released or one of the product videos addresses the matter specifically...
They already saved the money by dropping GPS.

A gps device in a cellphone is about 10$ of license fees. And maybe 1$ for Glonass and 1$ for the chinese Baidu. But sold at 200$ and does the US GPS only. IMO totally overpriced. Since the decision of Pentax is against the GPS I got myself a demo model of the K3 Mark II in near mint condition after a japanese guy refused to sell me a new one below 1850$ (plus 24% of import duties)... when it becomes true that the retail price for the K3 Mark III would close to 2000 Euro (1800 pounds, 2400 USD) why sould people buy the K3 mark III when they can get a body of K1 mark II with similar price, but with GPS? We all know that from a technical perspecitve the selling point of the K3 mark III would be the noise-reduced sensor but it's available in the K-P already. And despite of the 1 mio ISO thing... useless. Because the real good stuff isn't sold to consumers and the Sony sensor does NOT reach the level of noiselessy as some experimental models from Olympus do, and these field tests were done in 2014. Not yet sold in any cam till today. Of course there are plenty of additional thingies inside, but I personally am an old school photographer who learned it's craft with analogue SLR. And Pentax doesn't have the "here-is-a-nice-pic-bell" thing the people are dreaming of who can't see a good pic with their eyes

GPS drains battery, yes, but for regular pics not need the GPS info in the Exif data except you are braindead and don't remember where your pics were taken. But for Astrotracer this is vital, aid I am not going to pay 200$ for the O-GPS1 and I don't want the full frame K1 mark II because the full frame thing is something for people who hoard money somewhere for the next "must have" thing.
12-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ojutan Quote
gps is gone
@ojutan, your statement about GPS and the K-3 Mark III might be correct, but I don't recall that Ricoh Imaging has revealed any definite information.

It would be interesting to hear your analysis of why you think there is no GPS. Thanks.

- Craig
12-02-2020, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #344
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So the camera design is up to snuff then?
12-02-2020, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #345
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A gps device in a cellphone is about 10$ of license fees. And maybe 1$ for Glonass and 1$ for the chinese Baidu. But sold at 200$ and does the US GPS only. IMO totally overpriced.
I think you misunderstand me. I agree that the cost of a GPS device is minimal - and the software development costs are mostly sunk, since the K-3II has it. That's exactly my point... If Ricoh left GPS off the K-3III, I don't believe it was to cut such minimal costs. I think it was a conscious decision for other reasons, and maybe we'll find out those reasons if and when we learn definitively that the new camera doesn't have GPS...

I can live with your opinion that the new camera is totally overpriced, since that's your opinion

Since the decision of Pentax is against the GPS I got myself a demo model of the K3 Mark II in near mint condition after a japanese guy refused to sell me a new one below 1850$ (plus 24% of import duties)...
Congratulations! I own a K-3II and - even though it's five years old now - it's a fantastic stills camera by any standard. I know you'll love it

when it becomes true that the retail price for the K3 Mark III would close to 2000 Euro (1800 pounds, 2400 USD) why sould people buy the K3 mark III when they can get a body of K1 mark II with similar price, but with GPS?
I've already sent you a link to a longer, dedicated thread on this where very good reasons are discussed as to why someone might choose to buy an APS-C camera instead of full frame, regardless of the cost. Either haven't read that thread, you're choosing to ignore or disbelieve the reasons, or (and I mean no disrespect here) they haven't sunk in. I'll say again, I am more interested in the K-3III than the K-1 or K-1II for a whole bunch of reasons... including size, weight, the APS-C glass I already own, the fact that longer tele is more important to me than extreme wide angle, etc.

We all know that from a technical perspecitve the selling point of the K3 mark III would be the noise-reduced sensor but it's available in the K-P already.
No, we don't all know (or even think) that, and it's really not the selling point ... but if that's what you think, that might explain why you believe folks would or should choose the K-1II instead, given the price. In addition to the improved sensor and imaging engine, the bigger viewfinder, huge number of AF points (and increased coverage), improved AF performance and rapid continuous frame rate are just some of the other key selling points for the K-3III. There will be others, too, I'm sure.

Furthermore, the K-3III doesn't use the same sensor, nor indeed the same imaging engine, as the KP (it's not even the same resolution). It's completely new (to the Pentax line, at least).

And despite of the 1 mio ISO thing... useless.
Agreed. Maximum ISO on almost every DSLR and mirrorless camera I know of is useless. However, it generally indicates that the ISO levels one or two stops below are potentially usable.

Because the real good stuff isn't sold to consumers...
etc. etc.
I think I've gone as far as I can in this exchange...

I sincerely hope you enjoy your K-3II. As I said, I think you will... it's a wonderful camera - with GPS - and you probably don't need the imaging, AF and performance improvements the K-3III will offer. Frankly, neither do I... but there are plenty of folks here ready and willing to buy the K-3III for very good reasons, and I suspect I'll end up owning one myself eventually. If I do, I'll catch up with you then and let you know how it compares to my K-3II

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-03-2020 at 01:51 PM.