Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #586
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I gave up on buying battery grips when the K-3 came out. I don’t find the extra depth to be of any benefit to me, and I’m comfortable using the cameras in portrait orientation without one, so I’ve taken to just carrying a spare battery.

I don’t know if non-OEM battery grips are made for the latest models, but I’ve used both sources in the past and found no significant difference except for the lower price of the non-OEM.
I have the OEM grips for my GX-10, K-3 / K-3II and Hasselblad HV (which uses the Sony SLT-A99 grip). I'd definitely say I get some ergonomic benefit from them, and it's nice to have the extra batteries on tap, but this is typically overshadowed by the extra weight disadvantage - so, whilst I've used them often in the past, these days I rarely do. I'd rather carry as little non-essential weight as possible.

I also have the battery grip for my A7 MkII, and that stays permanently fitted to the camera. The battery life without it is just too short for my liking, and in this case I find the added depth much more comfortable to shoot with... even more so if I'm adapting larger, heavier lenses.

I had a third-party grip for my K-5, but I felt the build quality was sub-par, and one of the e-dials started to skip after a couple of months' use. Maybe others are better built, but I'd be surprised if any is as good as the OEM product...

12-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #587
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
and that means fast enough for what?

wifi viewfinder?
wifi file transfer?
what is wifi being used for?
The K1 does the WiFi viewfinder and file transfer.
I’d expect it to be an improvement on that.

-Eric
12-14-2020, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #588
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Didn’t the k-5 use the same group as the K-7?
  • D-BG1: *ist D
  • D-BG2: K10D and K20D
  • D-BG3: K200D
  • D-BG4: K7, K-5 and K-5 II / K-5 IIs
  • D-BG5: K-3 and K-3 II
  • D-BG6: K-1 and K-1 Mark II
  • D-BG7: KP
  • D-BG8: K-3 Mark III.
If only for the joystick, there had to be a new battery grip.
12-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #589
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
K33's WIFI speed is as fast as GR3.
Indeed both support Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n (as well as Bluetooth 4.2 LE). They might share the same wireless module.

12-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #590

I know this is stupid and would probably go unnoticed for most people

But the mix of fonts everywhere on the camera would drive me crazy, even if i stopped caring after some time!!

Anyhow, the silver edition is gorgeous!
12-14-2020, 06:21 PM - 2 Likes   #591
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I have the OEM grips for my GX-10, K-3 / K-3II and Hasselblad HV (which uses the Sony SLT-A99 grip). I'd definitely say I get some ergonomic benefit from them, and it's nice to have the extra batteries on tap, but this is typically overshadowed by the extra weight disadvantage - so, whilst I've used them often in the past, these days I rarely do. I'd rather carry as little non-essential weight as possible.

I also have the battery grip for my A7 MkII, and that stays permanently fitted to the camera. The battery life without it is just too short for my liking, and in this case I find the added depth much more comfortable to shoot with... even more so if I'm adapting larger, heavier lenses.

I had a third-party grip for my K-5, but I felt the build quality was sub-par, and one of the e-dials started to skip after a couple of months' use. Maybe others are better built, but I'd be surprised if any is as good as the OEM product...
I had a battery grip for my Canon Rebel at one time, but I stopped using it before the Rebel died - the combination just weighed more than I wanted to lug with me.
I guess I really am a 'low volume' shooter; the battery in my KP usually lasts an entire day for me, and i would rather carry an extra battery {somewhere] in my bag than to go back to battery grips.
12-14-2020, 08:16 PM   #592
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
  • D-BG1: *ist D
  • D-BG2: K10D and K20D
  • D-BG3: K200D
  • D-BG4: K7, K-5 and K-5 II / K-5 IIs
  • D-BG5: K-3 and K-3 II
  • D-BG6: K-1 and K-1 Mark II
  • D-BG7: KP
  • D-BG8: K-3 Mark III.
If only for the joystick, there had to be a new battery grip.
Yes I agree. I was just trying to confirm that the k5 and k7 had not used different grips. Thanks.
12-15-2020, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #593
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I had a battery grip for my Canon Rebel at one time, but I stopped using it before the Rebel died - the combination just weighed more than I wanted to lug with me.
I guess I really am a 'low volume' shooter; the battery in my KP usually lasts an entire day for me, and i would rather carry an extra battery {somewhere] in my bag than to go back to battery grips.
It's mainly the ergonomics that lead me to use the grip on on my A7 MkII permanently. It just feels a lot nicer... but the battery life is quite low without it, at around 350 shots. The KP is a bit better than this, I believe. Like you, I'm a fairly low volume shooter, but there have been occasions when I've used up a freshly-charged OEM battery in my K-3 in less than a day. Not many, but a few.

Another thing to consider with grips is that if the camera gets wet, water can linger between the grip and the body. Standing water is bad, as it can gradually work its way between joins and seals. Standing salt water is especially bad, as it can corrode a camera's metal bodywork - something I've experienced As such, even if folks use a battery grip, it's important to remove it when cleaning and drying their gear after a shoot...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-15-2020 at 03:29 AM.
12-15-2020, 02:56 AM   #594
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had a Canon Rebel once too, and I did like using the grip especially since it barely added any weight to the body and I was going to bring spare batteries anyways since I did a lot of timelapse work. But once I started getting into serious studio work with the Canon 5D III the grip became a love/hate relationship. Shooting hand held portraits was great. However attaching the grip+camera to a tripod created another factor of sag that made it harder to precisely compose when using front heavy lenses such as the 70-200 2.8.
12-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #595
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
I am on chrome too. And when I klik the link It oppens a new tab with pictures on Google drive within my active google profile. Is it possible that the problem is in activating your Google profile?

---------- Post added 12-12-20 at 06:37 AM ----------

Is there a chance to read something of those tests?
My Google profile is always active. I am always signed in!