Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #136
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suspect that those who are wanting a 24x36mm format camera will not be confused by a high performance APS-C camera in the same price range.

Steve
No, just certain reviewers that are easily confused by Pentax

11-16-2020, 08:20 PM - 2 Likes   #137
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Tog takes big gear out,
finds nothing to photograph,
head and purse empty.
(Just a haiku, nothing personal!)
There is a windfall
But no camera is bought
Purse, gut, both empty

(Just a haiku, nothing personal)
11-17-2020, 12:39 AM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Re, the colours, the flagship was never colourful (other than silver and gun metal) maybe the next, mid/entry level will come in white, Or puce, or duck egg blue? (Some K50s looked like they were made from Lego)
11-17-2020, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
There is a windfall
But no camera is bought
Purse, gut, both empty

(Just a haiku, nothing personal)
Ok. Your poetic approach is much amusing..

11-17-2020, 02:18 AM   #140

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
26MP vs 15MP for the same crop field of view and 12fps continuous shooting are probably the two main justifications for existing K-1 users to add the K-3III, but only if the use cases truly warrant it. Anyone shooting sports, wildlife or macro - and with a spare $1,900 burning a hole in their pocket - might be tempted as an addition to their full frame kit...
Not macro I think for the K-3 3. Speaking for myself I shoot a lot of focus stacked macro on the K-1 in live view with tilted screen.
11-17-2020, 02:51 AM - 4 Likes   #141
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Henk T Quote
Not macro I think for the K-3 3. Speaking for myself I shoot a lot of focus stacked macro on the K-1 in live view with tilted screen.
I wouldn't argue that an articulating screen is advantageous for some macro photography, but we've many fine macro photographers in these forums who performed their work without one. The K-3III is unlikely to be any less capable for macro than the cameras they used.

I don't want to start a "one format is better than another for macro work" discussion, because we all know both formats can be used effectively... but to clarify why I mentioned macro, for the same field of view and aperture, the crop kit will offer greater depth of field, while the resolution of the K-3III's 26MP sensor allows for considerable cropping of the APS-C frame. I realise, in isolation, that doesn't justify buying the K-3III - but it's potentially a consideration?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-17-2020 at 03:57 AM.
11-17-2020, 03:09 AM - 2 Likes   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Next up from Adam: Haiku Forums!

(I have a feeling many of the posts would be shorter than those we see currently here).

11-17-2020, 03:11 AM   #143
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Next up from Adam: Haiku Forums!

(I have a feeling many of the posts would be shorter than those we see currently here).
At the very least, a thread in General Talk or General Photography would seem appropriate
11-17-2020, 03:21 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It is good looking, at least the black one. Way back I commented that Pentax cameras have shapes that indicate they aren't designed using CAD*. This camera is even more obvious in that regard. It bears so many hallmarks of a shaped and sanded piece of clay. Awesome to see in this day and age.

A nit pick design wise is how the eye piece, bit with the hot shoe, comes out of the prism. It's an unfortunate reversal of the design principle of removal that the rest of the body is visually based on. The eye piece has a language of addition or insertion. A bit odd.

There's a 18-55 in the first shot. Are they selling it in a kit with that lens?

* it's of course put through CAD for manufacturing and probably tuned a bit but the design hasn't originated in a computer.
The rubber eyepiece could prove friendly to eyeglasses .
11-17-2020, 05:38 AM - 5 Likes   #145
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K-3 Mark III (in the centre) compared to K-1 (on the left) and K-3 II (on the right).

Source: Pentax K-3 III: new pics and size comparisons – breakfastographer

It seems the mount flange is positioned higher on the K-3 Mark III than on the two other cameras. In other words, the volume under the mirror box seems to be bigger.

This might be linked to the new autofocus module.
11-17-2020, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #146
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
K-3 Mark III (in the centre) compared to K-1 (on the left) and K-3 II (on the right).
It seems the mount flange is positioned higher on the K-3 Mark III than on the two other cameras. In other words, the volume under the mirror box seems to be bigger.

If those photos accurately represent the dimensions, it seems the K-3III is a tad bloated compared to the K-3II - which already seemed somewhat bigger than its K-5 series predecessors (to me, at least). I suspect it'll feel great in the hand (about the same proportions as a K10D, perhaps?) but it's quite a chunky camera for those who favour APS-C on the basis of a more compact kit. For them, I guess the KP remains a good option...
11-17-2020, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I don't know whether this photo is more of a highlight of the chunkiness of the K-33 or the compactness of the K-1, which is actually on the small side for a FF. Now depth is another story.

Regarding the flange height, I cannot think of anything non-AF related for it...
11-17-2020, 06:01 AM - 6 Likes   #148
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Regarding the flange height, I cannot think of anything non-AF related for it...
There's a reservoir below the mount to store all the magic
11-17-2020, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There's a reservoir below the mount to store all the magic
I read "reservoir" and I immediately thought "it DOES brew coffee after all", but a pixie dust tank sounds like a good option, too
11-17-2020, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #150
Pentaxian

The K-3 III is photographed at close range with a wide angle lens, the others at distance. Makes the K-3 III look bloated. Se how the grip opens outward, that's not what it's like. Those photographs give the wrong impression of the camera due to lens choosen for the photographs.