Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #316
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
If they really wanted to, it would be possible to create a small plastic mold to house the GPS without affecting the main body. It's just a matter of production cost.
It may be a matter of production cost, but I tend to think not. The K-3III doesn't exactly look like a camera where Ricoh has cut many (any?) corners in order to save money. I suspect, instead, it may be a conscious design decision to couple GPS functionality from an accessory unit or smartphone. I'm leaning towards the latter... especially given the Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity. Such a connection would likely result in much less drain on the battery than in-camera GPS. It's all conjecture, of course, until the camera is released or one of the product videos addresses the matter specifically...

11-28-2020, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #317

There's all sorts if things that can be done. Like having an external antenna the slips into the flash shoe. Connections could be through additional contacts in the external mic jack or perhaps even through some of the flash shoe connectors.

Endless speculation on a feature that may not even be present is an exercise in futility.
11-28-2020, 08:53 PM - 4 Likes   #318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Endless speculation on a feature that may not even be present is an exercise in futility.
But that's what we do here, right???
11-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #319
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have a Pentax hat...

Steve
I have a KX belt buckle. Seriously. I wonder if they will still have all the JPG digital filter stuff. I think it would be great to get rid of it.

11-29-2020, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #320

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Nokishita Camera just published several pages of the certification report written by Dekra and concerning the Pentax K-3 Mark III a.k.a. R03010:

Twitter

R03010.pdf - Google Drive

The Google Drive folder includes a pdf document with 23 pictures of the Pentax K-3 Mark III (both black and silver versions) together with various accessories (I-USB166 USB cable, AC-U1 battery charger, D-Li90 battery).
Oh by Gosh by Golly!
Its time for mistletoe and holly.
Santa I want a new K-3 III
Have you been good?
/gulp....

---------- Post added 11-29-20 at 10:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
car battery. it runs on car batteries.
SMH right ? yep lets put a 100AH 12v in it.
11-29-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
I have a KX belt buckle. Seriously. I wonder if they will still have all the JPG digital filter stuff. I think it would be great to get rid of it.
You could just ignore it. I doubt it takes up much space in the camera’s memory.
11-29-2020, 04:23 PM - 3 Likes   #322
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, Astrotracer cannot work (as you can't get the camera's direction).
I thought about this for a while, and that's not necessarily true.
Astrotracer needs three different kinds of information to calculate the direction of the earth's rotation axis relative to the camera:
  1. Camera's orientation relative to magnetic North. This is obtained by an electronic compass attached to the camera, and that's why O-GPS1 has electronic compass.
  2. Camera's altitude angle relative to the local horizontal plane. This should be obtained from accelerometers/tilt meters attached to the camera. Not sure if in-body sensors for SR are used for this too or if Pentax use separate sensors.
  3. Camera's position on the earth regardless of camera's orientation. This is the only information GPS can provide. GPS antenna doesn't have to move with the camera.
Therefore as far as the camera still retains electronic compass and tilt meter in body, astrotracer should work with cellphone GPS. Not sure if Pentax thought about it (and not sure if it's a sensible thing to do either), but technically it should be possible.

For an enclosure to even partly shield magnetic field (REALLY difficult job) or to throw off electronic compass, you need ferromagnetic elements like iron and nickel. Magnesium alloys, though we cannot know the exact recipe for Pentax bodies, don't have ferromagnetic elements except as impurities (see e.g. https://www.asminternational.org/documents/10192/22833166/05920G_SampleChapt...5-c9c690c1931e). As an example, volume magnetic susceptibility of the main component of magnesium alloy (i.e. magnesium) is about 1 per hundred thousand, which is to say that magnetic "amplification" factor, so to speak, inside pure magnesium metal is about 1.00001, i.e. almost nothing.

11-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #323
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
I thought about this for a while, and that's not necessarily true.
Astrotracer needs three different kinds of information to calculate the direction of the earth's rotation axis relative to the camera:
  1. Camera's orientation relative to magnetic North. This is obtained by an electronic compass attached to the camera, and that's why O-GPS1 has electronic compass.
  2. Camera's altitude angle relative to the local horizontal plane. This should be obtained from accelerometers/tilt meters attached to the camera. Not sure if in-body sensors for SR are used for this too or if Pentax use separate sensors.
  3. Camera's position on the earth regardless of camera's orientation. This is the only information GPS can provide. GPS antenna doesn't have to move with the camera.
Therefore as far as the camera still retains electronic compass and tilt meter in body, astrotracer should work with cellphone GPS. Not sure if Pentax thought about it (and not sure if it's a sensible thing to do either), but technically it should be possible.

For an enclosure to even partly shield magnetic field (REALLY difficult job) or to throw off electronic compass, you need ferromagnetic elements like iron and nickel. Magnesium alloys, though we cannot know the exact recipe for Pentax bodies, don't have ferromagnetic elements except as impurities (see e.g. https://www.asminternational.org/documents/10192/22833166/05920G_SampleChapt...5-c9c690c1931e). As an example, volume magnetic susceptibility of the main component of magnesium alloy (i.e. magnesium) is about 1 per hundred thousand, which is to say that magnetic "amplification" factor, so to speak, inside pure magnesium metal is about 1.00001, i.e. almost nothing.
Theoretically, yes. But I think it is unlikely that they would keep an electronic compass but not include a GNSS sensor. I would think the latter is even easier to implement. However, they have a bunch of sensors for SR anyway, acceleration, rotation, etc. I don't know if they are standard components used also in smartphones. If so, magnetic sensors might be part of the package. The available components for sure have changed since KP that relies on O-GPS
11-29-2020, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #324
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Theoretically, yes. But I think it is unlikely that they would keep an electronic compass but not include a GNSS sensor. I would think the latter is even easier to implement. However, they have a bunch of sensors for SR anyway, acceleration, rotation, etc. I don't know if they are standard components used also in smartphones. If so, magnetic sensors might be part of the package. The available components for sure have changed since KP that relies on O-GPS
Not sure about the ease of implementation. There are chips with on-board three axis magnetometers like HMC5883 complete with on-chip ADC and I2C bus. It cannot get much easier, can it? And that's not exactly a new technology, certainly much older than KP.
There are similar on-chip solutions that have accelerometers AND magnetometers.
11-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #325
dbs
Pentaxian

3 months to go
11-29-2020, 11:49 PM   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
3 months to go
...and how many more Product Stories to fill in the time, and keep us all interested, or maybe just talking?
11-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #327
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
...and how many more Product Stories to fill in the time, and keep us all interested, or maybe just talking?
One every third or fourth week, depending on fan pressure, excitement and potential misinterpretations.
11-30-2020, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #328

Metals do not need a ferric content to block EM radiation. Faraday Cages can be made of aluminum or more commonly copper mesh. Cables are shielded with copper or aluminum foil or mesh. The shape of the prism housing probably makes a good Faraday Cage.
11-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #329
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
One per month or something alike.
11-30-2020, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #330
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Metals do not need a ferric content to block EM radiation. Faraday Cages can be made of aluminum or more commonly copper mesh. Cables are shielded with copper or aluminum foil or mesh. The shape of the prism housing probably makes a good Faraday Cage.
Of course you're correct, metals block electric field (not just EM radiation), and GPS cannot work inside a metal body because it relies on EM radiation to communicate with satellites. This ability of metal is due to the sea of free electrons they provide.

That's not the case for compass as they measure the Earth's magnetic field. Faraday cages are in general useless for magnetic field. You need iron-nickel alloy called mu-metal specifically formulated for that purpose.

This is because there's no sea of free magnetic monopoles in metal (if you show a reproducible evidence that magnetic monopoles exist somewhere/anywhere in the universe, you'll be an extremely famous person). Because of this, metals except for ferromagnetic ones are only VERY, VERY weakly responsive to magnetic field (see my comment about magnetic susceptibility).