Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2020, 05:57 AM - 14 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-3 Mark III (R03010) - Additional pictures

Nokishita Camera just published several pages of the certification report written by Dekra and concerning the Pentax K-3 Mark III a.k.a. R03010:

Twitter

R03010.pdf - Google Drive

The Google Drive folder includes a pdf document with 23 pictures of the Pentax K-3 Mark III (both black and silver versions) together with various accessories (I-USB166 USB cable, AC-U1 battery charger, D-Li90 battery).

Last edited by Mistral75; 11-13-2020 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Typo
11-13-2020, 06:04 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Mistral.

Whilst it's the performance that counts most, it's no hindrance that the external design is so appealing. What a great looking camera.

So... does it have in-camera battery charging?
11-13-2020, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
(...)

So... does it have in-camera battery charging?
So it seems.

11-13-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
[...]23 pictures of the Pentax K-1 Mark III (both black and silver versions)[...]
Please don't make my heart jump like this

On topic: the camera really does look beautiful, although I'm a bit sad to see the confirmation of the D-Li90 being the same capacity as before... an upgraded 2000 mAh version would have been appreciated.

11-13-2020, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Please don't make my heart jump like this

On topic: the camera really does look beautiful, although I'm a bit sad to see the confirmation of the D-Li90 being the same capacity as before... an upgraded 2000 mAh version would have been appreciated.
It is good looking, at least the black one. Way back I commented that Pentax cameras have shapes that indicate they aren't designed using CAD*. This camera is even more obvious in that regard. It bears so many hallmarks of a shaped and sanded piece of clay. Awesome to see in this day and age.

A nit pick design wise is how the eye piece, bit with the hot shoe, comes out of the prism. It's an unfortunate reversal of the design principle of removal that the rest of the body is visually based on. The eye piece has a language of addition or insertion. A bit odd.

There's a 18-55 in the first shot. Are they selling it in a kit with that lens?

* it's of course put through CAD for manufacturing and probably tuned a bit but the design hasn't originated in a computer.

Last edited by house; 11-13-2020 at 06:34 AM.
11-13-2020, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Silver version to match the FA* series !
11-13-2020, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It is good looking, at least the black one. Way back I commented that Pentax cameras have shapes that indicate they aren't designed using CAD*. This camera is even more obvious in that regard. It bears so many hallmarks of a shaped and sanded piece of clay. Awesome to see in this day and age

* it's of course put through CAD for manufacturing and probably tuned a bit but the design hasn't originated in a computer.
It's possible that there's CAD involved for the basic shape and then they refined the contouring, but the Pentax cameras do have that handcrafted look and feel, so to say. Particularly the gently-curved grip. They've always done a great job with the sculpting.

11-13-2020, 06:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't wait to buy this. Wonder when the full specs will be released? Did anyone notice the extra finger relief on the bottom of the hand grip? its not at all like my K-3 Mk1. I think this is going to be one great camera!
11-13-2020, 06:50 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A nit pick design wise is how the eye piece, bit with the hot shoe, comes out of the prism. It's an unfortunate reversal of the design principle of removal that the rest of the body is visually based on. The eye piece has a language of addition or insertion. A bit odd.
Do you mean the way it extends back slightly? If so, it should make for a more comfortable shooting position, with less chance of smudging the main screen with your nose. Those shooting with their left eye - as I sometimes do, when I get occasional problems with my right - could also appreciate it, as it might allow easier access to the joystick and other rear controls...
11-13-2020, 06:51 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Wonder if it'll take the K3II battery grip? I'm fed up having to buy a new one for each model when I'm sure that's it possible with just a little forethought to make them fit all current bodies.
11-13-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'm a bit sad to see the confirmation of the D-Li90 being the same capacity as before... an upgraded 2000 mAh version would have been appreciated.
It'll be interesting to see whether this new model - with all its extra electrickery and performance - draws more power, or benefits from newer components and circuits that are more efficient...

---------- Post added 13-11-20 at 13:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Wonder if it'll take the K3II battery grip? I'm fed up having to buy a new one for each model when I'm sure that's it possible with just a little forethought to make them fit all current bodies.
I very much doubt it. It's annoying, I know, but it's been that way since the K20D was retired. I suspect it's entirely intentional... Whilst we might wish to use our existing grips, that doesn't help the company's revenue and profits. Without sales of a new grip, they'd have to hike the price of the camera a little to compensate...
11-13-2020, 07:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
No there will probably be a different battery grip, compare the bottom of the Mark III vs your K-3 MkII. The shape of the bottom plate is different on the Mark III vs the Mark II. Plus the buttons are in a different location and the Mark III battery grip will have a joystick.
It uses the same battery though!
11-13-2020, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

CAD is heavily used in design, but also 3D-printed and hand-molded mockups.
It's hard to say as others are using different design languages (say, Fujifilm's retro styling) but it seems to me Pentax might have the most human-centric approach.

In camera battery charging is mentioned in the specs: "USB 3.2 Gen1, Data Transfer: MTP/CD-ROM, Battery Recharge/Power Supply (Optional AC Adapter required)"
11-13-2020, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
In camera battery charging is mentioned in the specs: "USB 3.2 Gen1, Data Transfer: MTP/CD-ROM, Battery Recharge/Power Supply (Optional AC Adapter required)"
I generally like to charge batteries outside of the device, just in case a battery fails - but USB charging is great if you're going away somewhere and just want to top the camera up after a day's shooting... plus, plenty of cars offer USB charging points now, so again this is a handy facility
11-13-2020, 07:08 AM   #15
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
No there will probably be a different battery grip, compare the bottom of the Mark III vs your K-3 MkII. The shape of the bottom plate is different on the Mark III vs the Mark II. Plus the buttons are in a different location and the Mark III battery grip will have a joystick.
It uses the same battery though!
Thank for the link to pdf file Mistral75. Hadn’t noticed the dedicated SR button on the side before.