Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it was probably an over sight or an omission.

Ben

11-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
For 2009 I predict...

1) My broken analog dial clock will be right twice a day. I boldly guarantee it.

In fact, this broken clock will be right twice a day more often than some self-appointed experts. I also boldy guarantee it.

2) Any consumer electronics company, including camera companies, that has big product launches for late 2008 and 2009 will lose money on said product (line & brand extensions excepted, but including the inevitable inventory writedown). It's a bloodbath out there for most economies and people are hanging on tightly to their wallets right now. At the very least consumers will substitute buying a $2,000 camera for a $500 camera. (Oh, excuse me, isn't selling a down market camera supposed to be a bad idea?)

3) I will be 1 year older. But just as childish as ever.

4) I'm going to need to put more money into repairs for my aging car.

5) When I'm taking landscape photos in the mountains I'll run into another photographer who won't use a tripod but who will have a very expensive camera kit.
11-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
I just posted a longer article in my blog, explaining my point in detail. Maybe you are interested.
i read your blog, intresting point of view.

i would like to point out however that the point of comparison is flawed.

APPLE, sells physical goods AND software. Very expensive and overpriced goods mind you, which, through either luck or good marketing have (i'm quite certain) atleast 50% of its customers attracted by the status symbol more than anything.

as i have mentioned in many other threads, parts for parts, its cheaper to build a PC than an Apple. (the pickle with this one is that not everyone knows how to build computers)

you cannot compare microsfot to apple

Microsoft is not in the market for overpriced flashy toys

if you want to make a good comparison, you would have to include the profits and market share of Dell, HP, MDG, Lenovo and every single other independant retailer, big or small, yes, even the "Ping's Comptuers" down by the laundromat, that puts PC's together and loads them up with windows.

what WOULD be an intresting statistic is if you can dig up how many Mac OS's have been sold/shipped to final consumers between January 1st and now, vs Windows.

and even then, Some companies run on XP and will continue to do so, while certain "Mac nuts" upgrade very 2-3 months.

so you have a company with 20 people who run on one instance of XP for 10 years, vs 1 guy that updates his computer 4 times a year for 10 years

as you can see the resulting conclusions would be rather inconclusive

Last edited by Gooshin; 11-11-2008 at 02:10 PM.
11-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
how much of the world computer market share does apple currently occupy?
Pentax can only dream about having Apple's market cache. The only problem with Apple is that they're a one-man company: if Steve Jobs dropped dead tomorrow, Apple would be history.

11-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wow. Pentax will do nothing next year, it will just sit and wait to die.
He really have no clue.

LOL, best thing i have read regarding Pentax issues or lack of, in awhile LOL
11-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
For 2009 I predict...

5) When I'm taking landscape photos in the mountains I'll run into another photographer who won't use a tripod but who will have a very expensive camera kit.

So true! That's the case for my only sightings of the Bigma, the Nikon D2x and the D3!

Given the economic situation, I think the Pentax K-m is EXACTLY the camera that they should have built.

Pentax doesn't need a significantly different camera lineup. They need their own Thom Hogan, or Ken Rockwell. (i.e. a passionate blogger who posts daily about using Pentax cameras and lenses.)
11-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #37
Veteran Member

In short: market share is not the only important thing in business. Ask Mercedes. Ask Porsche. Ask BMW. Or ask Apple.
That's true. But I would buy nothing from any of these companies, who sell overpriced goods based on status.

<rant target acquired>

Cars I know little about and my life is all the richer for it. But I have worked with computers since punch cards. It stuns and amazes me that Apple can produce a computer with only two USB ports, no Firewire, no expansion port, proprietary video that requires expensive adapters and other obvious deficiencies. If anything breaks, even something simple in the OS, you have to pay someone to fix it. Or reinstall the OS hoping that will help. For this substandard unit people will line up to pay 30% or more above the going rate for a real computer. Why? Apparently because it's white.

Through it all they have convinced the public they are "innovative" though they stole the mouse, stole the windowing interface, etc. etc. and do not even acknowledge the brilliant people who established the innovations they built their fortune on. That is disgraceful.

Thankfully Pentax has nothing whatsoever to do with this style of fleecing the public.

<target destroyed. course laid in for starbase 2.>

11-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Pentax can only dream about having Apple's market cache. The only problem with Apple is that they're a one-man company: if Steve Jobs dropped dead tomorrow, Apple would be history.
That's a little absurd.He's nothing more than a face anymore.
11-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Ok... i haven't been working with computers since punch cards but still i have 15years experience with them. Started out with apples and then learned windows because i had to for work. As soon as apple went to a linux kernel I went back to apple. I have worked with linux/unix/windows servers and i am convinced that linux/unix is superior.

Apple computers, IMO, are more stable than windows, require less rebooting, are easier to use and are prettier.... (ie have much nicer displays). Let's face it, their OS has to support their hardware, that makes it easier to make it more stable. Windows has to support every Thom, Dick and Harry hardware maker. This is part of their downfall.

Sure, you can spend less and built a kick ass PC that out performs an apple. But who wants to. Most people can't be bothered. They want something that doesn't break and that they don't have to open up. They don't want to reboot all the time too.

It all comes down to your definition of 'better'.

I doubt Pentax will die. Look at all the fans on this board. They could make money just from us lot. As long as the business makes money they are OK. Maybe they don't want to be number one? Maybe they are happy with their market share.

Not all people are stupidly greedy. EG, if i had a business making $500k a year and had the opportunity to work 3 times as hard to make $1mil a year I wouldn't take it. I'd rather enjoy my life and have time to spend with the family and take pics. Maybe pentax wants to make the best 'hobby' cameras and make 'enough' money. It's this damn greed that has 'bent over' the world economy.

mike
11-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
No, just the brick-and-mortar retail store US market. And we have yet to see whether the K2000 sneaks into some big chains. For better or worse, Pentax seems to be betting on the internet for the US. They do have a decent sales ranking with Amazon, for what it's worth.
Interestingly enough, I had a discussion with a local mom & pop photo shop owner near Boston about this a few days ago. He stocks the Pentax K200D, and usually has a little old glass (and even film bodies), but NO Canon or Nikon to be seen. Odd huh? His explanation was that Pentax doesn't force him to stock a minimum $ amount in the store, but allows him to order anything he wants. The big 2 have small shops like his locked out because of minimum requirements.

Frankly, I'd rather pay slightly more and have a relationship with the owners instead of buying from some barely passing high school student at a giant store, or take the risk of getting caught in the endless back and forth mailing of merchandise from an internet store. Yeah, old fashioned I know, but so much more satisfying. For accessories I'm always on the net.
11-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Mindflux Quote
That's a little absurd.He's nothing more than a face anymore.
Well, there is a strong team in Apple behind Jobs. But saying he's nothing more than a face is just nonsense IMO: look at the changes in prices of Apple shares everytime there is a new rumour about Jobs' health.

Anyway, I didn't intend to discuss about Apple; my only point was to state that tech gurus/photography experts et al have no clue whatsoever on the future of companies, including Pentax. And this, for good or bad: they simply have no clue, and their opinion is as valid as that from John Smith from down my street.
11-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Anyway, I didn't intend to discuss about Apple; my only point was to state that tech gurus/photography experts et al have no clue whatsoever on the future of companies, including Pentax. And this, for good or bad: they simply have no clue, and their opinion is as valid as that from John Smith from down my street.
QUITE CORRECT!

as proven by my betting thread with only 3 takers after 1200 views!!
11-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, he's been wrong about the death of 4/3 for how long now? According to Thom Hogan, Olympus should have been 6 feet under for a while now. I suspect his pentax predictions are about as likely to be correct.

For the record, this weekend I went to a local camera shop and had the chance to handle a K200D as well as the FA50, and the dealer was very enthusiastic about them. He also stocks Canon, Nikon, and Olympus, and uses Nikon himself, but would pick Pentax over Canon if he didn't use Nikon.
11-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #44
Veteran Member

OK this will be my second and last post on what is always an impossible topic.

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Sure, you can spend less and built a kick ass PC that out performs an apple. But who wants to.
Go to the local store and buy one ready-built.

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
They want something that doesn't break and that they don't have to open up. They don't want to reboot all the time too.
In my experience Apples crash and require rebooting etc. far more often than Windows XP. Daily I am in an environment with dozens of Apple computers. I was all set to buy one three months ago, but after seeing how unstable they are I've completely changed my mind.

My PC running XP has never needed an OS re-install in 6 years. Mind you, I likely should do so, just to clean things up after thousands of programme installs and several major hardware upgrades. But why spend time on something which simply works?

As for rebooting, I simply never see blue screens unless I'm foolish enough to play bleeding edge games with the wrong settings. Every day I watch mac apps crash.

And I don't even like their aesthetics, but do wish there was more choice in that regard.
11-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #45
Inactive Account

I really think TH is bored to death and he has to have a flash in the pan to stir things up.

cheers,

rene