Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
I just got badly rear ended this morning.
Geez! I hope you are ok!

Me, I've owned a car for 2 years in my life, under duress at that. I'm 45. The single best decision one can make in one's life is to not buy in to car culture. The second best decision is to not buy a TV. Once you've kicked those drugs the world starts to look a little different.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mindflux Quote
Best of all, no Registry! hooray.
But resource forks and hidden interactions everywhere just the same -- boo!

I vote for a new Amiga. And a LINUX I can actually use for audio applications. Oh yes I've also used Commodores, mainframes, minis, NextPC and even Apple stuff back when there was less choice for multimedia authoring.

11-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

But resource forks and hidden interactions everywhere just the same -- boo!

I vote for a new Amiga. And a LINUX I can actually use for audio applications. Oh yes I've also used Commodores, mainframes, minis, NextPC and even Apple stuff back when there was less choice for multimedia authoring.
Yet if they get corrupted you still have a workable OS, how about that?

*Edit: You do know that Windows has resource forks as well, right?

Last edited by Mindflux; 11-12-2008 at 06:46 PM.
11-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #78
Banned

why would you NOT want to have a registry? I can have all sorts of registry errors and still have a working system, but to have no access to them and no direct way to repair any errors im a bit out of luck no?
11-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #79
Veteran Member

When I built my first PC I REALLY wanted to use OS/2 Warp, but not enough hardware/software choices.....Soooo Win 95...... the horror the horror.......

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-12-2008 at 06:19 PM.
11-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
When I built my first PC I REALLY wanted to use OS/2 Warp, but not enough hardware/software choices.....Soooo Win 95...... the horror the horror.......
I used OS/2 Warp 3 and 4. I really wish it would have been more widely used.
11-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
why would you NOT want to have a registry? I can have all sorts of registry errors and still have a working system, but to have no access to them and no direct way to repair any errors im a bit out of luck no?
Why would I not? Because it's a gigantic blob of all your program settings and windows settings. If the whole thing gets corrupted; Windows wont boot and you'll likely be forced to reload (unless you have a recent backup of your registry).. and even then you may lose some user data from programs you've added or removed from the last restore point.

I remove a program from my mac, along with the corresponding .plist file (xml document containing all that programs settings) and for the most part it's done. (aside from some residual files the program might leave behind in documents or the global settings library.

Lets not forget the lack of viruses and spyware that can affect a Mac are virtually NIL! There are a few trojans that can get into your mac if you punch in your administrative password when it asks to install (if something is randomly installing I'd hope you wouldn't do this).

Last edited by Mindflux; 11-12-2008 at 07:31 PM.
11-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The single best decision one can make in one's life is to not buy in to car culture.
It's hard to ride an animal to work in southern California.

11-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has all got seriously off-topic.

But then, the topic was hardly serious in the first place, even if it threw up a few serious thoughts about the effect of the GFC on the sales of DSLRs.

Steering things back to the matter of Pentax's place in the DSLR market, we tend to forget that there are now major Asian markets that depend less on the rest of the developed world for their health.

The obvious one is China, and anyone who's travelled there in recent years will know that the size (and continued growth) of the domestic economy has provided them with a buffer against some of the sillier economic policies of many Western countries. The Chinese government has decided to release a lot of its accumulated surplus (you remember surpluses, don't you?) into their domestic economy to stabilise things further. The Chinese appetite for consumer goods and the means to satisfy it will therefore continue to grow apace, as will that of the Indian and other prosperous Asian nations.

So, forgive my optimism, but I think the pessimism expressed in Thom's predictions is ill-founded and inevitably biassed, given his cheerleader ("fan-boy" to others) status as far as camera brand loyalty goes.

PS: I use both Windows XP and Mac OS X, both of which are mature and stable computer operating systems, and neither of which appears in a digital camera, to my knowledge (excepting, of course mobile phones and the like, which don't really count, in most cases). Oh yes, and I drive a car and I walk, too, but that's how I get to most of my picture sites.
11-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
God, I forgot about OS/2 Warp! How could I!

I have never lost an OS due to registry corruption. Neither have any of my hundreds of clients, workmates and friends whose computers I might have been called in to fix. How about that?

*Edit: You do know that Windows has resource forks as well, right?
No, it doesn't. You must be confusing this with something else.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's hard to ride an animal to work in southern California.
But it would be an interesting proposition if more tried!

I telecommuted for three years. More firms should try that for white-colour workers. Also: rail, streetcars, etc. I realise this doesn't help those who require a car today because of how crap the other services are. But I am willing to bet that if you own a car you use it more than you need to. Unless you are one of the rare 1% of 1% who walks to the corner store, leaves the car in one parking lot and walks over to another, etc.

Anyway, I will unsubscribe from this thread. Seems I cannot stop the computer war comments -- my bad. And I realise the converted are not going to want to go agnostic.
11-13-2008, 06:13 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uhhhhhh..... Why believe, or take seriously, a Nikon hack's opinion about Pentax's future?
11-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Uhhhhhh..... Why believe, or take seriously, a Nikon hack's opinion about Pentax's future?
Maybe because it's well thought out with sound reasoning and backed up by his sources in the Japanese financial markets that watch this industry?
11-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Maybe because it's well thought out with sound reasoning and backed up by his sources in the Japanese financial markets that watch this industry?
and colored by his bias toward Nikon and Canon. just as my opinion that Pentax is going to be arounds a while yet is based on my biases...
11-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #88

I compromised my virtue and read that. Would have been better off visiting a psychic...................Regret that I wasted that time I could have better spent taking a picture....................
11-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #89
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Not so fast Ken, by Thom's own admission he's got no Pentax inside information whatsoever: Re: Sale does not equal Death: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Nevertheless he makes some good general points but there is no reasonable way to know wether they apply to Pentax/Hoya or not.

From what I know 2009 will be a much better year for Pentax and unlike him I tend to know a thing or two from the inside.

Regards,
Radu
11-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
God, I forgot about OS/2 Warp! How could I!

I have never lost an OS due to registry corruption. Neither have any of my hundreds of clients, workmates and friends whose computers I might have been called in to fix. How about that?
How convenient for you. When I worked in PC repair I'd do quite a few machines with corrupt registries. This has become less of an occurrence with XP though.