Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
Same for me..... nice.... but not what I'm wanting to find out about the camera. In the meantime I'll just keep putting away a few $ waiting for release day. I'm expecting that while AF will be better that it still won't be industry leading but better is still good
One thing I am convinced of is that, when using a modern lens, the AF will be much better. In the past few days, I have used my K-30 with my 55-300mm PLM lens; I had forgotten how much faster the KP is with that same lens; when used with the 1.4X TC, the lens hunts endlessly with the K-30, while I notice no change at all when I use the TC with the PLM lens. Pentax has made vast improvements between the two camera bodies.

11-28-2020, 03:54 PM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
As someone who didn't crack the prism cover, I wish it had a GPS or a flash.
Are we sure that it doesn't have a GPS? I know I've read the same sort of thing on other posts but I would have thought that an unusual omission from a flagship Pentax unit. The 'Playback view' section of the specs mentions 'GPS information (latitude, longitude, altitude, Coordinated Universal Time) , Orientation' so I just assumed it still had one built in but I guess that could come from an O-GPS1 module. That would be a shame for me as I always have GPS on with both my K-3ii and K-1 as I like to tag where I've photographed birds.
11-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Are we sure that it doesn't have a GPS? I know I've read the same sort of thing on other posts but I would have thought that an unusual omission from a flagship Pentax unit. The 'Playback view' section of the specs mentions 'GPS information (latitude, longitude, altitude, Coordinated Universal Time) , Orientation' so I just assumed it still had one built in but I guess that could come from an O-GPS1 module. That would be a shame for me as I always have GPS on with both my K-3ii and K-1 as I like to tag where I've photographed birds.
Did you use a K-3 or earlier Pentax cameras?
11-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Did you use a K-3 or earlier Pentax cameras?
Yep, the K-5 and K-10d... I know, no GPS. I guess GPS could go the same way as the pop up flash (which I rarely used) and now be omitted.

K-5 Playback view specs make no mention of 'GPS information (latitude, longitude, altitude, Coordinated Universal Time) , Orientation'. I still have my fingers crossed that it's actually in the K-3iii.

Edit: Hmmm, the KP mentions the Playback view options too, but no GPS. Oh well, it'll be a shame to not have it in the K-3iii but there are other things way more important to me than some location co-ordinates embedded in my image file. I'll just have to do it a different way if I really want it.

Last edited by pqberger; 11-29-2020 at 07:27 PM.
11-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #50
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
It depends on the WiFi implementation. 802.11ac is plenty fast and could theoretically open up a crazy amount of possibilities if manufacturers opened up their code and enough people wrote code for it. You would be able to send data fast enough to a nearby computer and take advantage of the latest AI image processing and machine learning, then communicate all of that back to the camera to control it. Near perfect AF tracking, exposure, white balance, image stacking, etc.
Why? Off-loading in-camera image processing to an external computer and AI means constantly carrying and relying on another device manufactured and kept up to date by another company - what can go wrong
11-29-2020, 03:30 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
(...)

K-5 Playback view specs make no mention of 'GPS information (latitude, longitude, altitude, Coordinated Universal Time) , Orientation'. I still have my fingers crossed that it's actually in the K-3iii.

KP's Playback View specifications make such mentions, yet there is no GPS in the Pentax KP.
11-29-2020, 03:55 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm a bit the same. After reading "Story 6" I just felt... hasn't every flagship had a magnesium body and a reshaped prism area. K-3iii is no different to any other in this regard. I know I'm getting a bit cynical over these announcements when all I want is some meaty information and the camera to be released. I want to know how much better IQ is, the capabilities of the AF system.... things that are important to me in making a purchase decision. The shape of the prism is not going to affect that.
I think they are just trying to keep our interest while we wait for the actual camera.

11-29-2020, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think they are just trying to keep our interest while we wait for the actual camera.
Either that, or instill in us a sense of their future ethos, (so that we stop badgering them for mirrorless)
11-29-2020, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Either that, or instill in us a sense of their future ethos, (so that we stop badgering them for mirrorless)
They already have...
11-29-2020, 05:05 AM   #55
Pentaxian

I had posted this a while ago in my "K-3 III Article Collection" thread.

I'm wondering whether my thread could be moved back to "Pentax News and Rumors". If not, why was it moved and not this one?
11-29-2020, 05:33 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
They already have...
Job done 😁😁😁😁 OK, now we are on board, come on Pentax, give us something meaty
11-29-2020, 06:55 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If Pentax is all about the tactile interface of the camera and the user, then there is no need for remote and auto everything. That is not in their stated goals of camera design philosophy.
11-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If Pentax is all about the tactile interface of the camera and the user, then there is no need for remote and auto everything. That is not in their stated goals of camera design philosophy.
“Auto everything” makes my photographing moving trains less work {I.e., more fun} ..... and they have stated that “fun” is one of their goals of camera design.
11-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

“Auto everything” makes my photographing moving trains less work {I.e., more fun} ..... and they have stated that “fun” is one of their goals of camera design.
You would love it here, I am 5 minutes from the UK west coast main line and we have steam locos going through a couple of times a month
11-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #60
Pentaxian

One thing I am convinced of is that, when using a modern lens, the AF will be much better. In the past few days, I have used my K-30 with my 55-300mm PLM lens; I had forgotten how much faster the KP is with that same lens; when used with the 1.4X TC, the lens hunts endlessly with the K-30, while I notice no change at all when I use the TC with the PLM lens. Pentax has made vast improvements between the two camera bodies.
Apologies for continuing the off-topic excursion, but are you saying the PLM lens by itself works quite well on the K-30? Misbehaves only with the TC? I might be interested in giving that combination a go, hence my question.