11-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
glad to see no plastic hotshoe mount!

11-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Just like on 645s actually
11-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #33

looks pretty awesome to me. Love the small stories but hope they will bundle all of them in the end Will make for a great read if you buy the camera.
11-28-2020, 01:06 AM - 4 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I would assume you would have to go to some really old days, if you don't mean the silver coloured cameras of the last decades of the last millennium, which were mostly chrome plated brass bodies. They exposed the bare metal only on worn down edges.
Oooooh, a brass K3iii, that would be sweet! Just imagine how gorgeous that would be in a year or two

11-28-2020, 01:37 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I was just looking at the magnesium-alloy shell of the K-1 and noticed just how small the IR port is on that camera, and on the K-3II, and it's very interesting... I really wonder what they're putting in that huge port aside from an IR receiver.
11-28-2020, 02:46 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I was just looking at the magnesium-alloy shell of the K-1 and noticed just how small the IR port is on that camera, and on the K-3II, and it's very interesting... I really wonder what they're putting in that huge port aside from an IR receiver.
There has to be a WiFi and a Bluetooth LE antenna, somewhere not covered by the metallic shell.
11-28-2020, 04:05 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Wifi: nice idea, but never powerful/fast enough for quick file transfer - the big guys use external WiFi modules.
Bluetooth: slow, prone to failure
USB: many different standard for data transfer and charging
I care a lot more about the prism, focus point/speed and image quality.

11-28-2020, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks very well built.

(I still wouldn't recommend dropping it. It's never the fall that's the issue though, its the sudden stop that has a negative effect on all things electronic).
11-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There has to be a WiFi and a Bluetooth LE antenna, somewhere not covered by the metallic shell.
Anywhere will do - these do not have to be ‘sky facing’ - there are plenty of holes in the body.
11-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Wifi: nice idea, but never powerful/fast enough for quick file transfer - the big guys use external WiFi modules.
I have heard talk here of controlling the camera via the WiFi port instead of its having a ‘flippy screen’, but nothing of transferring files. With my KP, I get images exactly as I do with my K-30, so why bring this up now??
11-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
It depends on the WiFi implementation. 802.11ac is plenty fast and could theoretically open up a crazy amount of possibilities if manufacturers opened up their code and enough people wrote code for it. You would be able to send data fast enough to a nearby computer and take advantage of the latest AI image processing and machine learning, then communicate all of that back to the camera to control it. Near perfect AF tracking, exposure, white balance, image stacking, etc.
11-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #42
Pentaxian

It's 802.11 b/g/n
AF tracking computation cannot be performed remotely, the latency would be too big (also, cameras must be self-reliant devices rather than incomplete ones). I'm also skeptical about allowing people to code...how many did use the already available Camera SDK?
But, I do think future cameras will be more and more connected, and that will change some things.
11-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Has there ever been such a drip-drip-drip of minutiae during camera development before? I am left yearning for the good old days when a new model just appeared. On the other hand, we have all been clamouring for information. Be careful what you wish for.
I'm a bit the same. After reading "Story 6" I just felt... hasn't every flagship had a magnesium body and a reshaped prism area. K-3iii is no different to any other in this regard. I know I'm getting a bit cynical over these announcements when all I want is some meaty information and the camera to be released. I want to know how much better IQ is, the capabilities of the AF system.... things that are important to me in making a purchase decision. The shape of the prism is not going to affect that.
11-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
I'm a bit the same. After reading "Story 6" I just felt... hasn't every flagship had a magnesium body and a reshaped prism area. K-3iii is no different to any other in this regard. I know I'm getting a bit cynical over these announcements when all I want is some meaty information and the camera to be released. I want to know how much better IQ is, the capabilities of the AF system.... things that are important to me in making a purchase decision. The shape of the prism is not going to affect that.
I want to know these things, too - but clearly, they're reserving them for the actual announcement. It makes sense, and it's not a problem for us: we can't buy the camera yet anyway.
Less than 3 months until the announcement.
11-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Quite nice. I'm liking what I see so far. It looks to be one very well built camera.

But yeah. Speaking mainly for myself & probably a few here as well, the main selling point for me will be the AF performance. I'm just waiting for its release & subsequent Pentax user reviews, website reviews, & YouTube reviews. Those will let me know how much of an improvement Ricoh put into the AF system.

Same for me..... nice.... but not what I'm wanting to find out about the camera. In the meantime I'll just keep putting away a few $ waiting for release day. I'm expecting that while AF will be better that it still won't be industry leading but better is still good

---------- Post added 29-11-20 at 08:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I want to know these things, too - but clearly, they're reserving them for the actual announcement. It makes sense, and it's not a problem for us: we can't buy the camera yet anyway.
Less than 3 months until the announcement.
LOL... yep I get it and this drip feed of the design features is still better than we've typically had in the past. It feels like an eternity since the initial 'development' announcement. Can do nothing else but wait and be grateful that we are at least being told something every 3 or 4 weeks.