Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 155 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2020, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Apologies for continuing the off-topic excursion, but are you saying the PLM lens by itself works quite well on the K-30? Misbehaves only with the TC? I might be interested in giving that combination a go, hence my question.
Yes, in cloudish weather here, when my K-30 reports -2 to +2 exposure, I am getting reasonable images.
Mourning Doves - PentaxForums.com
However, once I have put the 1.4X TC on, the system suddenly shows no ability to focus.
This was a complete revelation to me.

11-29-2020, 07:32 PM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
KP's Playback View specifications make such mentions, yet there is no GPS in the Pentax KP.

Thanks, I've since read that on the KP spec sheet. I'm probably not likely to go buy a AU$300 accessory just for that purpose. Might be merging in a GPX file from my phone if I really want location details when out birding.
11-29-2020, 11:43 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
Thanks, I've since read that on the KP spec sheet. I'm probably not likely to go buy a AU$300 accessory just for that purpose. Might be merging in a GPX file from my phone if I really want location details when out birding.
You won't needed.
They'll do like they did with Theta, mate the cam and the phone by Bluetooth and position will be embedded in your photos metadata.
11-30-2020, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You won't needed.
They'll do like they did with Theta, mate the cam and the phone by Bluetooth and position will be embedded in your photos metadata.
Makes me hopeful that the GPS pairing with phone will be good then.

11-30-2020, 04:38 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Makes me hopeful that the GPS pairing with phone will be good then.
Someone with a working GR III might be able to test that - the K-3 III, being newer, should work at least as well?
11-30-2020, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Someone with a working GR III might be able to test that - the K-3 III, being newer, should work at least as well?
As I wrote elsewhere it works between my GR III and my phone (Google Pixel XL 1st gen), but only for the first sequence of shots following the establishment of the connection between the app and the camera. I did set things up to keep the connection going, but still found out it's lost easily. I really don't want to take out my phone and so to speak reinitiate the connection before every shot, so I stopped trying to after half a dozen attempts.
Note that I'm not passing judgement on Ricoh or the GR III. I'm fully aware that my phone is not the most recent one (though updated to the last but one Android version), and as such might be the weak link rather than the camera...
11-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, in cloudish weather here, when my K-30 reports -2 to +2 exposure, I am getting reasonable images.
However, once I have put the 1.4X TC on, the system suddenly shows no ability to focus.
It does sound intriguing. Thanks for sharing the revelation, unexpected as it was.

11-30-2020, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Once you go past f5.6, there's no guarantee an autofocus system will work. It's the TC that's doing the hit on your aperture.
11-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Once you go past f5.6, there's no guarantee an autofocus system will work. It's the TC that's doing the hit on your aperture.
I was intrigued by the fact that my KP will autofocus surely and quickly at almost any set aperture {yes, I know that AF uses aperture 'fully open', so 'set aperture is of little importance in this} and almost any level of darkness that doesn't need ISO above 128K when shutter speed is around 1/125, but the K-30 struggles as soon as the TC makes that small reduction in light. The KP clearly has a much better AF system.
11-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I was intrigued by the fact that my KP will autofocus surely and quickly at almost any set aperture {yes, I know that AF uses aperture 'fully open', so 'set aperture is of little importance in this} and almost any level of darkness that doesn't need ISO above 128K when shutter speed is around 1/125, but the K-30 struggles as soon as the TC makes that small reduction in light. The KP clearly has a much better AF system.
Yeah, it's pretty much the K-1 AF system, right?
11-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, it's pretty much the K-1 AF system, right?
I think it's basically the K-3II system because both have 27 points.
11-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I think it's basically the K-3II system because both have 27 points.
I often use nine points - or even one - to save processing.
In any case, it is a big improvement, so those who are evaluating Pentax AF with an older variant in mind should be careful of what they say.
12-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

However, once I have put the 1.4X TC on, the system suddenly shows no ability to focus. This was a complete revelation to me.
The combination of the K3 and 55-300 PLM with the 1.4x TC works OK for me in good light. It focusses poorly in low light (eg around sunset).

---------- Post added 02-12-20 at 08:28 AM ----------

I often use nine points - or even one - to save processing. In any case, it is a big improvement, so those who are evaluating Pentax AF with an older variant in mind should be careful of what they say.
Meanwhile I've been looking at cameras with 425 points.
12-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Meanwhile I've been looking at cameras with 425 points.
What is the point of that?
12-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What is the point of that?
If a camera has a processor dedicated to focusing, and the software is ‘smart’, they may use different subsets of the focus points depending on circumstances.