Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 05:41 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mail from Photokina: photokina will be suspended until further notice

Just received the following mail from the organisers of Photokina. Seems there won't be any Photokinas anymore...

QuoteQuote:
We can join the imaging industry in looking back upon a successful, colourful and innovative era: 70 years of photokina in Cologne. Since 1950, for generations it has been the top address for photography, video and imaging. It indisputably ranks among the most positive and emotionally charged brands in the global trade fair world.

This is precisely why it is an extremely difficult step for us to have to suspend implementation of photokina at the location in Cologne for the time being, in light of the continuing steep decline in the markets for imaging products and the increasingly heterogeneous needs of the different market segments.

Even before the coronavirus pandemic began, the imaging market was already subject to strong upheaval, with annual percentage declines in the double digits. The momentum in this direction intensified massively in 2020, most recently reporting a decline in the 50-percent range. Within photokina, these market shifts grew very noticeable in the recent past. Conceptual changes, too, such as the inclusion of the smartphone and new imaging technologies, along with a change of cycle and a schedule change, were not enough to compensate for the downturn in the numbers and marketing budgets of exhibitors owing to consolidation of the classic market.

The overall situation at the moment is not compatible with the quality standards of a photokina as a globally renowned leading trade fair and brand representing the highest quality and professionalism in the international imaging market.

After decades of shared history, this deep cut is a painful one indeed. Nonetheless, we must face the situation and the trend in the industry and take a clear, honest decision against continuing this event – a decision to which, unfortunately, we have no alternative.

We would like to thank you very much indeed, for our time together, for your longstanding loyalty to photokina and for the enthusiasm that this has involved. It is the memories of unforgettable snapshots that we will cherish – such as when the gates of photokina opened and we were privileged to welcome you to the trade fair grounds in Cologne, to spend several days diving into the world of images together. Nothing short of Imaging Unlimited!

Thank you for 70 years together!

Your photokina team

11-27-2020, 05:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
End of an era, huh. I guess it was inevitable, sooner or later... the world has changed, for better or worse.
11-27-2020, 05:54 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's sad, indeed - but not wholly surprising, given the state of the market and, of course, disruption caused by the pandemic.

Perhaps, going forward, these larger global events will be impractical and they might be replaced by smaller regional equivalents. That's happened - and worked - in some other product markets I can think of...
11-27-2020, 05:55 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a shame, though hardly surprising given the two consecutive cancellations, on top of everything else that's going on.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2020, 06:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
photokina at Cologne location suspended for the time being

Together, we can look back upon a successful, colourful and innovative era: 70 years of photokina in Cologne. Since 1950, for generations it has been the top address for photography, video and imaging.

Given the current developments in the imaging market, we have no choice but to suspend implementation of photokina at the Cologne location for the time being. This step is a very difficult one for us to take. What remains are the tremendous memories – and the images of many generations.

Thank you for 70 years together.
Source: Photography, video and imaging fair | photokina

Press release: https://www.press1.de/wrapper.cgi/www.press1.de/files/kmeigen_kmpresse_1606470113.pdf
11-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It was getting worse and worse, smaller and smaller.
Too bad going to Japan is much more inconvenient for me... I don't think I'd want to reserve a trip there for the CP+.
11-27-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not surprising given the overall state of the industry and market. With information on new products readily available on the internet it is a wonder it was held the last couple of times.

11-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A national photo event in the UK was cancelled in spring and a virtual version held in September as a substitute. I was sceptical about it, but there were several plus points. Obviously no gear could be handled, but traders were virtually present and there were plenty of offers as usual. The obvious plus was no wearisome travel, but then the buzz of a live show was lost - a win/lose. Where the event did score highly, was the talks. They were interactive and available on replay when there were speakers presenting concurrently. It was a bit rough at the edges at time, but easily excused as it was a first and a bit rushed. It must be cheaper and potentially able to reach a wider audience. This format could well be a way forward.
11-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Waiting to see if cp+ this year will be a virtual event. That would make it more accessible for those that can’t travel to Japan.
11-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Another sign of the times. With the Covid-19 problems, lower sales most companies need to maximize every dollar spent. Doing virtual events may well be the future. It will increase their audience which may also generate some sales.
11-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's hoping that by the time the pandemic has cooled to low levels and there is a vaccine, maybe it can come back as an event on a longer cycle.
11-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Here's hoping that by the time the pandemic has cooled to low levels and there is a vaccine, maybe it can come back as an event on a longer cycle.
If the market snaps back somehow, a Photokina revival would be justified--but they're going to be cautious about it.
11-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not surprised.
11-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the Olympics goes ahead in July then we'll know things are getting back to normal. There may also be a rebound in camera sales. At least in Japan.
11-27-2020, 06:16 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Being in the tech industry since the days of the original PC, I can tell you that the trade show series ending isn't a sign of a given industry's demise, but it could be a sign of its comoditization. Comdex started in 1979 and used to be the USA's biggest technology trade show, there was one in Atlanta and Vegas every year. Tony Bennet sang in the WordPerfect release auditorium and we resellers all got free Wordperfect umbrellas and NFR copies of every piece of software they made, woohoo! (Man, those were the days, when vendors romanced resellers, now with most software vendors I have to PAY for my own demo software and I have to PAY for the privilege of reselling their crap and I have to PAY for recertification exams to qualify to be allowed to sell their software. What a SHAM! They turned the reseller channel into a profit center !) At any rate, Comdex shows died in 2003. Are computers still popular?

What I feel it DOES mean when trade shows die is that the industry has become mature and commoditized... hence there is no longer the large profit margin for brick and mortar stores, so who do these shows have left to romance to carry their items on their shelves? Sure they used to let the general public into these events as well, but these were really events for resellers and influencers. Places like Amazon don't need to go to the trade show to see vendors and make relationships and see what computers and software it wants to hawk. Same thing happens to other industries as the way we consume changes.

Like any other product that becomes mature, I predict we will see some more consolidation, like the car industry, small startups get bought up, weak companies bought up for certain patents and client base, and melded into the current product lines or just plain shut down. Electric cars brought some new life and new players to the car market, and any time new tech comes it broadens the market, but the trend is to stabilize over time and the market can only support so many players once a product matures, then the market contracts. Digital breathed new life into photography markets for a good long while, mirrorless promised to be the next big new thing, but is just cannibalizing it's own market and not bringing in new buyers, and then there are cell phones... which are good enough for what used to be the Kodak Instamatic and Polaroid crowd, and I think all that adds up to a what you now see.

Well, that's my .02 FWIW,
Eric