Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2020, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Lens Tournament: Nominate your favorite lens by January 15th

With our K-70 giveaway coming to an end in less than 24 hours, it's time to kick off our December Pentax lens tournament! In addition to coming up with a new list of top lenses and crowning an overall winner, immediately following the tournament we will give away the winning lens! (the giveaway will be held as a separate event)

If you've been around for a while, you may recall the original 2014 Pentax lens tournament dominated by FA and DA Limiteds. Despite being fun, the knockout-style design of this tournament was a bit biased toward the reputation of each lens rather than the images it could produce. In the new tournament, we will address this issue by making all voting blind. We'll also give a chance to the many new lenses Pentax has launched since then.

The 2020 lens tournament will consist of 2 stages:

Stage 1 - Nominations (November 30 - January 15 December 31)

In this stage, each member can nominate one lens. You can only nominate a lens that you own (or previously owned). All Pentax-branded lenses (regardless of mount) as well as third-party lenses (K-mount only) are eligible.

Each nomination must be accompanied by one photo you've taken with that lens.

At the end of stage 1, we will tally the nominations and advance the top 20 lenses to the final round.

Stage 2 - Finalist Voting (February 2021)

For this stage, I will set up a special gallery where photos from the top 20 lenses can face off against each other. Members will vote for their favorite photo, without knowing what lens it was taken with. The lens with the most votes will be the winner!

How to submit a lens nomination - Stage 1:

Entries will be very similar to how our monthly photo contests work.
  1. Click on this link to start a new thread in the special lens tournament forum
  2. In the post text, paste a link to our lens database entry for lens you are nominating (from Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database or Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database)
    Example: SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF] Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database for the SMC DA 10-17mm fisheye
    Important - entries without a valid link will not be considered!
  3. Attach or embed one photo you've taken with the lens
  4. Submit the thread!
Feel free to use the Pentax lens search to quickly find the link for your lens.

Also, feel free to ask any questions or discuss nominations in this thread - but note that only nominations posted in the tournament forum will count!

I hope you all enjoy this tournament, and may the best lens win!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-30-2020, 05:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Will this be for the big, modern guns to battle it out? I'm just wondering ...

No photos are available from the 2014 tournament anymore. Or were the competition never based on photos?
11-30-2020, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

was wondering about this portion >

"In this stage, each member can nominate one lens. You can only nominate a lens that you own (or previously owned). All Pentax-branded lenses (regardless of mount) as well as third-party lenses (K-mount only) are eligible.

Each nomination must be accompanied by one photo you've taken with that lens".

Does it mean a member can nominate only one lens, and no more than one lens (which they own or have owned)?

For eg, a member nominate the DA*300 (and puts in an accompanying photo snapped with that lens), and that's it.

That member cannot then nominate any other lens?
11-30-2020, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
[*]Attach or embed one photo you've taken with the lens
[*]Submit the thread!
How much “PP” will be appropriate, to make sure this is a lens competition, not a “PP” competition??
You use the verb “taken”, not the verb “made”.

Last edited by reh321; 11-30-2020 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
11-30-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How much “PP” will be appropriate, to make sure this is a lens competition, not a “PP” competition??
You use the verb “taken”, not the verb “made”.
That's a great question.
11-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This concept makes the competition be much less biased.
11-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much “PP” will be appropriate, to make sure this is a lens competition, not a “PP” competition??You use the verb “taken”, not the verb “made”.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That's a great question.
I wonder about this as well. I am tempted to put up an astro shot where there is a massive amount of processing that goes into it. Another is a stitched panorama again that has had a lot of post processing. Granted a astro shooting shows any flaws a lens has while a stitched panorama will hide them.

11-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
These are some valid issues mentioned. Irrespective of these questions (and whatever answer they get) this is a nice tournament and I appreciate that this is being organised. As to the PP, basically, it takes a good image in the first place, so even with plenty of PP we'll be able to see the raw material provided by the lens and its user.
11-30-2020, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the post-processing part will take care of itself... if we're looking for which lens is best, we can hopefully look past the processing...

I'll laugh when the winning photo is with a SMC-M 50mm f2.0... "Adam, what do you mean everyone who entered gets one?..."

-Eric
11-30-2020, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think the post-processing part will take care of itself... if we're looking for which lens is best, we can hopefully look past the processing...
Most of the photo contests are followed by an "How I made ...." article.
"Made" was a term used by Ansel Adams to describe what he did in the darkroom.
Sometimes Lightroom is used for artistic reasons, sometimes it is used to 'cover issues'.
I quickly lose interest once the shutter has been tripped .... that is all I was saying.
11-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Does it mean a member can nominate only one lens, and no more than one lens (which they own or have owned)?
Correct, you can only nominate one lens in the first stage.

However, in the second stage, you'll be able to essentially submit a rating for each individual photo.

Ideally, if there are enough submissions for each lens, this shouldn't be an issue. Plus, it will be a level playing field for all lenses.

So for now, any PP is allowed, but we reserve the right to exclude a photo from the final stage if it is deemed to took artificial. Perhaps this can be determined through a vote as well...let's see what happens!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-30-2020, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the grand prize, like last time, is the winning lens, we need to ensure the FA* 250-600mm wins...
11-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So for now, any PP is allowed, but we reserve the right to exclude a photo from the final stage if it is deemed to took artificial. Perhaps this can be determined through a vote as well...let's see what happens!
Well then my better stacked astro shots shouldn't fall afoul. It is really hard to correct the defects that show up if there are any as it is so punishing. The goal is to bring out the fine and dim details which also tends to further show any lens issues.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If the grand prize, like last time, is the winning lens, we need to ensure the FA* 250-600mm wins...
Depending on what astro image I choose it may end up being the SMC A 50/1.2, SMC A* 400/2.8, Laowa 12/2.8, or Sigma 300/4 APO Macro (the one from the late 90s with the awful zen coating). I think most people would love 3 of them but the 4th might be in the SMC-M 50mm f2.0 catagory
11-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since its November 30th My Nomination is in, didn't have to think much about it at all. Before Y'all all chime in, I know by the rules I can't win this year but since I've been posting a bunch this month I went ahead and nominated the lens that I own that is well ahead of the two Limiteds I own as being the best.
11-30-2020, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

What about a losers bracket for underdog lenses? Lenses that simply weren't popular enough to get into the top 20 and therefor had no chance.

Like do I pick a lens and picture I think will make it through or do I pick a lens I think is truly legendary even though I know it won't?