Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2021, 10:28 PM - 2 Likes   #361
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The full tournament stats are now available below:

The D FA* 50mm F1.4 is the Best Pentax Lens of All Time - Giveaways and Events | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2021, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the stats, Adam!

This cements my opinion that many people voted on good photos more than on the lens-dependent characteristics of those photos (and, conversely, some photos don't "show off the lens", either), but oh well.
03-22-2021, 02:02 AM - 2 Likes   #363
dbs
Pentaxian

I guess the only way to value the output of the lens is one subject ( boring brickwall ) and using the same camera for all.
How many lenses has Pentax made ... again
03-22-2021, 02:26 AM   #364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for putting this up and the effort in designing/programming the voting scheme - with all its limitations, it's still a nice approach to remove reputation bias.

Despite likely being below the astounding average number of votes, I do remember almost all of the pictures and my thoughts about them. My order would naturally have been quite different. A few of the lenses used for my personal top picks are surprises, motivating to use the ones I own in different ways than I normally do. So finally, thanks for everybody joining in to create a curated list of excellent samples. If only they were a bit larger ...

03-22-2021, 02:33 AM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
I guess the only way to value the output of the lens is one subject ( boring brickwall ) and using the same camera for all.
How many lenses has Pentax made ... again
I'm of the mind that for these things there are so many variables (plus personal taste!) involved that any tournament is always gonna be a "for fun" endeavour more than a serious scientific thing... and that's okay, since we got to see many beautiful images!
03-22-2021, 02:43 AM   #366
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting stuff. I know that some spectacular lenses didn't make the list, purely because they haven't sold in large numbers but it is great to see workhorses like the 18-135mm and the non PLM 55-300mm in the top twenty. My kit has been built on a budget but its nice to see it includes 20% of the favourite lenses. Its also good to see the magical images these lenses can produce.
03-22-2021, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Thanks for the stats, Adam!

This cements my opinion that many people voted on good photos more than on the lens-dependent characteristics of those photos (and, conversely, some photos don't "show off the lens", either), but oh well.
I looked at the list and was shocked that my photo was the second one. Pretty crazy.

The difference in percentages between the various lenses was often not a whole lot. But it really did end up being more about the photos then the lens (although it is tough to make a photo without a lens).

03-22-2021, 04:49 AM   #368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thank you for running the contest - it was fun as well as informative {I stopped evaluating when it stopped being "fun"}.

I - like many of us - personally choose lenses on factors other than just how it works.
After all, there are many factors in choosing a lens; high in my personal scheme are zoom {which makes a lens more versatile for me} and in-lens motor {I really hate noise}.
Shortly after I got my K-30 in 2015, my bag contained a Sigma 10-20mm {despite the noise}, DA 18-135mm {#10}, and DA 55-300 {#19}.
When I got the KP at the end of 2018, I replaced the DA 55-300 by the PLM version {#13}.
Last week, the FedEx guy delivered the DA 20-40 {#17}, which I will audition to replace the DA 18-135mm.

I am looking forward to your giving away the DFA* 50mm.
03-22-2021, 10:40 PM   #369
Pentaxian

Thanks for the statistics, Adam. This has been a fun ride and a joy to see all these great photos.
10-03-2021, 05:10 AM   #370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Full details will follow on the homepage in the coming days.
Is there a link?
Can't find any article about the 2021 lens tournament on the tournament article page:
Pentax Lens Tournament | PentaxForums.com
10-03-2021, 05:14 AM   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Is there a link?
Can't find any article about the 2021 lens tournament on the tournament article page:
Pentax Lens Tournament | PentaxForums.com
The D FA? 50mm F1.4 is the Best Pentax Lens of All Time - Giveaways and Events | PentaxForums.com
10-03-2021, 05:18 AM   #372
Pentaxian

Okay, so the articles aren't in the Tournament category.
With the keywords it's able to find them:
lens tournament - Tagged Articles | PentaxForums.com